PDA

View Full Version : Anyone dealt with Maverick customer service?

GC8
07-21-2013, 12:54 PM
How was your experience?

Back story: Did a cook last night and at the end, the smoker probe started flashing "HHH" which we all know mean it died. I tried untangling any small tangles, probe didn't get wet, heat was only at about 350, wires run through holes in mini-wsm and not pinched, etc and it still showing the dreaded "HHH".

I know I can purchase a new probe, but there is a 90 day warranty. Thing is, yesterday, when it died, was day 92 of me owning it :mmph: I just sent an e-mail to Mavericks since their office isn't open on weekends.

I was hoping others who have dealt with Maverick before could chime in and let me know if they're the type of company to honor the warranty despite being 2 days expired.

Otherwise, looks like I'm $12 poorer!

PanamaExpat
07-21-2013, 01:02 PM
You can get new ET-73s on ebay for under $40 with free shipping. Why bother with replacing the probe? Throw the head end in a box and get another. If the head end dies you have a spare.

Untraceable
07-21-2013, 01:03 PM
I had a grease fire in my grill once that burnt out the probes. well fast forward to spring, I bought new probes but couldnt find the transmitter. couldnt remember if in a rage I **** canned it or what. I called Maverick to see if I could buy just the transmitter and they just mailed me a new one free. Id call that pretty good customer service. I believe one to the head guys at maverick even competes (possibly with 5-0 BBQ?)

this was a few years ago

GC8
07-21-2013, 01:04 PM
You can get new ET-73s on ebay for under $40 with free shipping. Why bother with replacing the probe? Throw the head end in a box and get another. If the head end dies you have a spare.

Because the warranty would be FREE. Why spend $40 to solve the problem when I could not spend anything?

Dreggs
07-21-2013, 01:42 PM
maverick didn't work for me

SmokerKing
07-21-2013, 01:51 PM
I buy from this guy, he price matches as well;

http://stores.ebay.com/JenTek-e-Store

I just bought a set of the new hybrid probes, basically the smoker type probe with the pointed end like the food probe, no curve in the probe.

So either can be used for the food or the smoker.

Happy Hapgood
07-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Sometimes you have to make sure that the probe jack is really seated well into the transmitter. That and new batteries are the problem more than probe failure most of the time. Worth a try.

ssv3
07-21-2013, 02:26 PM
I had them replace a probe by just emailing on a Monday and had the probe on Friday. No sending back the bad probe or anything like that. Great service!

GC8
07-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. If I can't get one out of the warranty, I'll check out that hybrid probe. That sounds like it would come in pretty handy.

GC8
07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Update: Got on e-mail Monday morning asking for my address so they can send me a replacement probe (under warranty) ASAP. They said moisture during a cook may have caused a short in the probe.

Very helpful and I wanted to be sure follow up with this thread.

Thanks Maverick!

SmokerKing
07-24-2013, 02:11 PM
I silicone the wire entry point on all of my Maverik probes with the Rutland High Temp Silicone to prevent inadvertent moisture intrusion. Worked for 3 years on 3 Maverick's so far.

ButtBurner
07-24-2013, 02:50 PM
I had them replace a probe by just emailing on a Monday and had the probe on Friday. No sending back the bad probe or anything like that. Great service!

exactly my experience. did not even question the bad probe

now if they only used good ones from the start...

Stoke&Smoke
07-24-2013, 03:49 PM
I had great service the one time I used them. Had a probe read HHH right out of the box. They had a replacement to me in about 7 working days

Outnumbered
07-24-2013, 03:54 PM
I have had similar problems, including a broken remote. They were not responsive at first, but after a second e-mail they were great. I sent in the broken one, they tried to fix it, couldn't do it, and they sent me a new one. Pretty good service.