PDA

View Full Version : Burgers .... better on a flat top/griddle or open flame grates ... discuss

jasonjax
07-20-2013, 03:20 PM
As ye ole subject says .... which way is better and WHY?

I am planning to do a taste test side by side comparison today using the same burgers prepared the same way, but some on the flat top-griddle and some on the pellet grill over direct flame.

Me and my neighbor are going to try both for the sake of science, and the fact that big dudes like us often find themselves eating two burgers anyways.

Anyone care to comment and or postulate?? Mmmm???

Smokinwright
07-20-2013, 03:54 PM
I like both taste. Sometimes I want to taste the grease from the burger, sometimes I want a sear from the grill.

All depends on the mood I guess.

2000milesofsmoke
07-20-2013, 03:56 PM
I'm happy to say I have had my fair share of burgers in my day. I have now settled on flat-top cooking to maximize the amount of crust that forms. I still like an open-flamed grilled burger, but for maximum quality I go flat-top.

I think the bigger factor is the type of meat you are using. Personally, I buy whole cuts and grind/mix my own blend. Chuck, short rib and either brisket point or skirt steak. The short rib does something magical to the burger.

mtbchip
07-20-2013, 04:06 PM
I think the bigger factor is the type of meat you are using. Personally, I buy whole cuts and grind/mix my own blend. Chuck, short rib and either brisket point or skirt steak. The short rib does something magical to the burger.

Spot on! We believe the ingredients, the temperature of the meat when it hots the grill, the temp of the grill all have a huge bearing. We like the open flame cooking method. Often times when we grind the meat (English short rib seems the best), we grind in bacon. No more than 1 part bacon 4 parts beef.

mbshop
07-20-2013, 04:08 PM
its like asking which child i love more ! so i pick both.

Bludawg
07-20-2013, 04:12 PM
More BBq flavor on live fire. Cooking on a griddle might as well cook on the stove inside a Ci skillet. hmm Which way do I like better? Neither I prefer a Charcoal fire, indirect mesquite chips, reverse sere.

ManakooraMan
07-20-2013, 04:26 PM
cooking on a griddle lets you make a thinner flatter patty which could fall apart on grates. if you can get the griddle super hot, there is potential for more crust, way way more crust.

lantern
07-20-2013, 04:56 PM
More BBq flavor on live fire. Cooking on a griddle might as well cook on the stove inside a Ci skillet. hmm Which way do I like better? Neither I prefer a Charcoal fire, indirect mesquite chips, reverse sere.

Same here except oak wood and cast iron skillet waiting over the flames to deliver the reverse sear.

cirk
07-20-2013, 05:05 PM
I like to cook out the grease on the grill.

scp
07-20-2013, 05:06 PM
I like better on flat top...smashed with grilled onions cooked in...but for healthiness..do more on the grill. About 4 to 1

SurrealOne
07-20-2013, 05:24 PM
I gotta say flat top. For many of the same reasons as others. I do enjoy firing up the grill for burgers on a regular basis, but the flat top gives it a flavor that I tend to enjoy a little more. I think it honestly comes down to the quality of ingredients. Each process has its own flavor, so I can see where it's very hard to choose.

Mo-Dave
07-20-2013, 05:45 PM
At restaurants I have worked, regular customers many times ask for their burger or even chops to be done on the flat top, just to change things up a bit. If you have a well used/seasoned flat top or griddle it can make a difference. I prefer grilled burgers and if I have to grab a bit out I look for Burger King, I will eat a good burger from the griddle.
Dave

tpope
07-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Grill it. No doubts around here.

Wolfpack
07-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Flat top sheet on the grill- get the sear and smoke

GC8
07-20-2013, 06:49 PM
cooking on a griddle lets you make a thinner flatter patty which could fall apart on grates. if you can get the griddle super hot, there is potential for more crust, way way more crust.

I make my burger patties really thin and I've never had one fall apart on me on the grill. I get a good, hot bed of coals going and they instantly sear.

gotribe28
07-20-2013, 06:56 PM
I put some ground chuck patties on the weber the other week and it started pouring so I threw a chunk of pecan on the KBB and waited out the rain for 30 minutes, I had the KBB in the charcoal thingy on the side so very indirect. When the rain finally stopped I threw the burgers directly over the coals for a reverse sear and cheesed them.

The wife had made me promise I will never cook a burger any other way....

jasonjax
07-20-2013, 07:29 PM
So I was too lazy this time to take pictures, but just as this thread indicates, our conclusions were not unanimous. I enjoyed the flat top griddle one the most and my neighbor enjoyed the grilled one the most.

Variety makes the world go round! Different strokes for different folks!

Damn True
07-20-2013, 07:43 PM
I very, very rarely use the grille any more for steaks or burgers unless we have a bunch of guests. The wife and I both prefer them cooked in a screaming hot skillet over one of the big burners on our cooktop. ~18k BTU I think.

You don't get smoke, but for burgers and steaks I really prefer that method.

boogiesnap
07-20-2013, 07:52 PM
sadly, i'd have to concur. a steak or burger IMHO, is better on a skillet. i use a cast iron pan.

to get around my dilemma, i put the CI pan on the outdoor cooker. :becky:

JONESY
07-20-2013, 07:59 PM
for us, burgers are the best on a cast iron griddle over very hot coals. Can't beat it in my opinion.

80/20 burgers over a direct hot coal fire don't stand a chance, too much fat, too much heat!!! Put that same combo on a screaming hot griddle = good things. try it you wont look back.

Mark Warren
07-20-2013, 08:12 PM
I like in a cast iron pan covered with a glass top for thick burgers to stay juicy but I love open fire for thin burgers.

code3rrt
07-20-2013, 08:19 PM
I certainly enjoy both, but my preference is directly over the hot coals on the grill, just love the char and the flavor better.

KC

TheRealGrinder
07-20-2013, 08:38 PM
I like both taste. Sometimes I want to taste the grease from the burger, sometimes I want a sear from the grill.

All depends on the mood I guess.
Agree 100%

BBQNCO
07-20-2013, 09:00 PM
For me it al depends on my mood. I love that seared look and flavor you get with a good outdoor BBQ. Though sometimes I just want that greasy sloppy burger off a flat top. I find myself going to Five Guys whenever that mood comes. I can never quite get it to the same flavor that they get. Maybe it's all the extra burger fat on their flat tops that add an extreme meaty flavor to it. That and their fries are great too.

Dreggs
07-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Grill Grates work well

bbqgeekess
07-20-2013, 10:44 PM
For burgers, I prefer them grilled rather than fried. I like the flavor imparted onto the burgers from fat vapor smoke.

Sometimes, I add a few wood pellets to the charcoal fire for grilling burgers; I toss the pellets in about a minute or two before I put the burgers on. (Something you can't do with a frying pan either.)