PDA

View Full Version : I hate my weber rotisserie!!! help!

cirk
07-19-2013, 07:37 AM
I have an OTG with the weber brand rotisserie. Without the rotisserie on and doing reverse sear on steaks I can leave the bottom vents open top vent half way closed with a 3/4 weber chimney of kingsford hickory and I maintain 350 to 375 with no issues. Put on the rotisserie close the bottom vents top vent half open 1/2 a chimney of same charcoal and it will fly up to 500 or 600 if I leave it unattended! I do notice that smoke pours out of where the rotisserie meets the grill and lid how can I get a better seal????

chicagokp
07-19-2013, 09:17 AM
When I cook with mine, I set it up this way.

2 charcoal baskets (the half circle ones). I put unlit in those, maybe 1/4 of a chimney in each. Then I light half a chimney of KBB. When those are good, I put that on top of each basket. The baskets are on the sides parallel to the spit. I find that the minion method helps to keep the temps where I want them, around 350-375.

I couldn't say if mine seals better or worse than yours? But I do know if I used a full chimney of lit with the rotisserie ring on, it would run way too hot.

gtr
07-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Have you tried just having the heat on one side rather than both? Lately I've been doing that. My rotis ring is very leaky too, but then again my Weber is from '93 and has been through a lot.

cirk
07-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Have you tried just having the heat on one side rather than both? Lately I've been doing that. My rotis ring is very leaky too, but then again my Weber is from '93 and has been through a lot.

That may be the best way. Thanks!

jsperk
07-19-2013, 11:18 AM
I also do the ones side with charcoal. I put around 12 lit coals on the unlit charcoal. Once my temps reads around 240 I close the bottom vent almost all the way and I run around 325 to 350.

fweck
07-19-2013, 11:58 AM
I put it one side only too, runs way to hot doing both sides. I run it with the bottom vents all the way or almost all the open. The top vents are barely open.

Carbon
07-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Same here, coals banked on one side only.

gsmith
07-19-2013, 12:07 PM
When I cook with mine, I set it up this way.

2 charcoal baskets (the half circle ones). I put unlit in those, maybe 1/4 of a chimney in each. Then I light half a chimney of KBB. When those are good, I put that on top of each basket. The baskets are on the sides parallel to the spit. I find that the minion method helps to keep the temps where I want them, around 350-375.

I couldn't say if mine seals better or worse than yours? But I do know if I used a full chimney of lit with the rotisserie ring on, it would run way too hot.

this is how I do it and have great results. Did two chickens last night and filled the charcoal baskets 3/4 full with unlit lump then added about 6 lit briquettes on top of each basket. baskets along the sides. bottom vent barely open, top vent fully open. purred along at 350º for the whole cook. chickens came out great.

katman
07-19-2013, 12:09 PM
The weber ring doesn't make a good seal so like all above said, the best way to control temp is fire management. I use the two charcoal baskets and put a drip pan under the rotisserie (no grill rack). I fill my charcoal chimney, light it and split between the two baskets. The bottom vent on my olld grill really doesn't seal very well so I leave it closed. This gives me a cook temp of about 400, which is great for doing the 3.5 to 4 pound chickens I like for peruvian style rotisserie chicken.

mbshop
07-19-2013, 12:13 PM
older books and what i have read all point to just coals on one side. never have any issues. the top of the meat should go towards the coals. example
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/mbshop-wheels/IMG_0406.jpg

mbshop
07-19-2013, 12:16 PM
many many rotiss setups all have the heat source from only one side. also make sure that the top vent is opposite the coals. coals should be upwind.

Pappy
07-19-2013, 01:26 PM
My weber rotisserie doesn't fit well at all. At least a 1/2" gap where it sit on the performer kettle. It was made to fit the performer. Someone at weber needs a new tape measurer. If I use it again, I think I will try stuffing some foil around the gap to help control the temps.

charrederhead
07-19-2013, 02:52 PM
I've done maybe 5 cooks w/ my rotis., always 2-sided heat, w/ great results. Next time I'll try one side. I use firebricks instead of the baskets.

cirk
07-19-2013, 09:01 PM
This is why I love this forum! Thank all of you for the help! May I never burn rotisserie chicken again!

code3rrt
07-20-2013, 01:39 AM
I usually make a tin foil gasket when I use my roto.......doesn't solve the problem entirely, but does help as far as controlling temps.

KC

Haastyle
07-20-2013, 05:35 AM
I love my rotiserie. I believe the design is loose on purpose as most kettles get tipped over at some tradgic point and become oblong, ovaled out slightly. At least everyone of mine has. Storms, cars, kids, playing dogs. Same concept as the grill grate itself. If it was matched perfect, one tip over and you aren't getting that guy in and out very easy.

It all depends what I am cooking as to how I use my coals. I direct grill with chicken most of the time. There is no need to stretch a chicken cook time out with indirect. I will also do coals on one side only for mid rare pit beef. Both sides for pork but use fewer coals starting out, I'll add to them if need be. Most of the time I have the lid vent closed due to the ventilation around the ring.

Adjust your coal location and amount to control temp. You don't need a tight fitting seal by any means. Its rotiserie, not precision smoking. Plugging the ring is a waste of time and foil. Just use your fire a little smarter. You know what your coals will do on a wide open burn. Don't worry about your seal, worry about your coals. Adjust things are you're fine.

One thing I do like doing is leaving the grate in, then stacking the ring over that. Then I can load up the colder side with other items to cook... potatoes, bread, pilaf, etc.... Works great, a oven shelf pretty much. just be wary of the drippings if it is something not covered. I could care less if anything drips on foiled potatoes. LOL.