PDA

View Full Version : Pulled pork juice

tx_hellraiser
07-17-2013, 10:55 AM
So i am planning to cook a pork butt and i will be using a foil pan to place it in. When i pull the meat out to wrap up Do i put the juices off to the side and let the fat come to the top then removed the fat from that juices? Does that sound right?

Also do i need to reheat the juices?

pwa
07-17-2013, 11:41 AM
After pulling the fat off I reheat and put on the PP.

Ron_L
07-17-2013, 11:46 AM
I would separate the fat and definitely reheat. You don't want to cool off the meat.

IrondeQuer
07-17-2013, 11:47 AM
I tested this for my 4th-of-July butts after reading something about it in a post here. I put the juice in a bowl and put it in the fridge until the fat congealed on top. Then I scraped the fat off and kept the now solid juice in the fridge.

When reheating the pulled pork the next day, I reheated the juice and added it back in the pan. I reheated the juice just to get an even distribution over the meat.

I'm not convinced the extra work made any significant difference in the outcome. Next time I'm just going to leave the juice with the meat and store it that way. It seems easier and hey, a little fat can only enhance the flavor, right? It wasn't like there were gobs of it anyway.

drjiveturkey
07-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Are you talking about the fat and juices that come out during the cooking process. I use to reserve the juice by separating the fat separator. But now I actually end up dumping most of it. It made the meat too mushy for my taste. I think bc its mostly gelatinized connective tissue. There is plenty of flavor and juices inside the meat to keep it moist when I pull it.

tx_hellraiser
07-17-2013, 12:41 PM
thanks guys