PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron storage?

thillin
03-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Any ideas on storing cast iron in the garage. I have a huge skillet that gets used every once in a while. Tired of storing in the oven and removing when the oven is needed. Really don't want a layer of dust on it. Would a large grocery bag work? Any other ideas?

Ty

Bigmista
03-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Can't help. When I'm done using mine, I rub it with a little veggie oil and toss it in the oven. Only pull it out if I need the space. Otherwise I leave it in even if I'm cooking in something else.

ZILLA
03-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Hang it on the wall with the inside facing the wall.

Kevin
03-17-2006, 07:17 PM
If you put it in plastic it may get damp from condensation and rust. I would put some type of desicant in with it. A handfull of uncooked rice should work.

Bill-Chicago
03-17-2006, 07:23 PM
I store mine in the basement, in its original New Braunfel's cardboard box (yes, I'm brand loyal)

FatDad
03-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Ty,
Oil it
Wrap it in "paper" grocery bags
Wrap a towel around that
Then Foil around all.
Grandpa's 24" camping skillet storage mod !

qman
03-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Ty, FatDad has got it going. Give that big skillet a good coating of oil, wrap it in paper bags, or even newsprint--something that will breath, then store it in the basement, or where-ever.

boatnut
03-18-2006, 08:57 AM
I've found the best thing to season or keep skillet coated with is good ol' lard. not the kind u buy at store, but the kind you get at a meat locker. then store it in a brown grocery bag.

Sawdustguy
03-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Just season it up real well....Using it alot is the best thing you can do for it.

BBQchef33
03-18-2006, 10:19 PM
i spray mine with WD40 and keep it in the shed.

:mrgreen:

or.. for years i have kept the oversized one rubbed heavily with crisco and in an old cotton pillow case face down on a shelf in the shed. Even the pillow case is oiled now. i never had any rust form on it.

FatDad
03-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Ty,
Oil it
Wrap a towel around that
Then Foil around all.

Trust me on this one TY........
Your game plan is storing it and this works.

LostNation
03-19-2006, 04:49 AM
I have a large skillet that I store in the basement or in the garage. After I use it I heavy coat it with oil and wrap it in an oily towel. I then put it in a trash bag. It has been stored like this for a few years with no problems. I use food grade mineral oil purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond for wood cutting boards.

JohnMcD348
03-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Ty,
Oil it
Wrap a towel around that
Then Foil around all.

Then cooler it for about 3 weeks and it should be tender enough to eat....

oh sorry, thinking BBQ again.

FatDad
03-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Then cooler it for about 3 weeks and it should be tender enough to eat....

oh sorry, thinking BBQ again.

Time ^%@$$&^ to (*&%$# clean @#$%^& off )(*&^
my !@#$%^&* keyboard :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!