PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Didn't Pull

BBQCookin
07-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Smoked an 8lb butt in my Bandera for about 10 hours. Temp around 250. Let it for 15 minutes under foil. Had lots of flavor and a good smoke ring, but it didn't pull apart. I had to tear chunks. Any ideas why it didn't pull apart for me?

Bacon
07-10-2013, 06:48 PM
I usually let mine rest for a few hours wrapped in foil in a cooler with towels on top of it.

Bluesman
07-10-2013, 06:50 PM
For one, cook shoulders until they probe tender all over, Internal Temp is no guide. Also, double wrap in foil then a bath towel and let it sit in a warm cooler for at least 2 hours and up to 4. Try this next time it will pull great. Keep trying, that's half the fun.

Callahan-que
07-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Next time cook it til it probes tender, don't go by time. I never wrap mine I just let it rest until I can easily handle it then I pull.

landarc
07-10-2013, 07:00 PM
You didn't cook it long enough. You cannot cook a pork shoulder or butt for pulling by temperature or time. The only way is by feel. In my experience, 10 hours at 250F for an 8 pound butt is nowhere near long enough. If it is bone in, you want to cook it until the bone wiggles easily. If no bone, then cook until the meat splits easily apart. Then pull, rest for 10 minutes, wrap in foil and/or pan and cover. Let rest for 2 hours. Cooler if you want, or a warmed oven.

Bludawg
07-10-2013, 07:21 PM
BBQ RULES for Success

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

BriGreentea
07-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Forgot this website existed...sorry....
It obviously depends on your cooker and this is the easiest thing to smoke. What many don't do correctly is prep. Prep to me is as important as cooking. I love going overboard with marinade/injections, hard, good rub,slather and time to sit for at least 2-4 hours in a fridge and have made terrific butts and briskets this way.
Also, if you have stable temps throughout and are attempting "pulled pork" then it's got to get over 200, then you can take it out. There is a point when it's too low it won't pull and taste as good and same thing goes you can overdo anything and trying to leave it at 200 some degrees internally can go from a perfect dinner to a very bland, dry dinner. Also, especially when your attempting to pull you need resting and insulation of at least an hour minimum for desired results.

boiler93
07-10-2013, 08:07 PM
+1 on the bone wiggle. Some times i will wrap and sit if I have time but if I don't they still pull just fine. Look for the wiggle!

Stark-O-Rama
07-10-2013, 08:09 PM
BBQ RULES for Success

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

+! - EXACTLY. We've had pork butts go 20 hours before they were ready.

LMAJ
07-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Yep - you didn't cook it long enough.. ^^^ those guys gave you good advice.

El Ropo
07-10-2013, 08:34 PM
I don't prep a thing, get the fire going, pull the butt out of the cryo, rinse and dry, rub it down, and cook it till probe tender. Prep is "extra work". And it's not needed to put out a great product.

For comps, yes prep is important. For backyard cooking? Nah. You could of prepped that piece of pork for 3 weeks, but in the end, it would still be undercooked.

But back on topic, I agree with everyone else. It sounds like you removed it from the heat before it was "done".

BigDaddyJT
07-10-2013, 08:47 PM
I agree w/ what most have said. Cook it until probe tender, let it rest 2-3 hours in a cooler and you'll be good to go. The cool thing about BBQ is if your results are not what you like, you can do it over again until you get it right. Good luck on your next cook.

BBQCookin
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will go back it, starting earlier, finishing later and with a much better handle on when it's "done."

woodbutcher1
07-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Instead of cooking at 225*-250* ,crank er up 275*-300*
It'll pull in less than 10 hrs.including rest time.

Jason TQ
07-10-2013, 10:36 PM
BBQ RULES for Success

Yes but temp and time can be a guideline. I use it all the time both at home and when competing. So do a lot of folks on this forum from all the threads I've read here and talking with folks on the bbq trail. So saying you "can't" is inaccurate.

Bludawg
07-10-2013, 10:47 PM
I never said anything about not using it as a guide line, I use it as a guide line too for planning purposes, but some people take it as hard & set rule and the wonder why they are experiencing problems. My Rules will guarantee results if followed. 30+ yrs of tossing sticks has proven to me that the Meat will tell you when it's done and no thermometer reading or clock or scale will.

Jason TQ
07-10-2013, 10:57 PM
I never said anything about not using it as a guide line, I use it as a guide line too but some people take it as hard & set rule and the wonder why they are experiencing problems. My Rules will guarantee results if followed.

Very true that you didn't say it couldn't be used as a guideline. But the quote was "YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!". This quote is in all caps which is yelling and the text is red. So that along with the words "CAN NOT" and "MUST COOK BY FEEL" leave little room for ambiguity as to what is meant and the tone.

Arristillius
07-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Very true that you didn't say it couldn't be used as a guideline. But the quote was "YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!". This quote is in all caps which is yelling and the text is red. So that along with the words "CAN NOT" and "MUST COOK BY FEEL" leave little room for ambiguity as to what is meant and the tone.

You must be new here, this rule gets posted here a lot, it gets posted here because it is spot on accurate and clearly worded.
You CANNOT cook with temp alone it WILL not consistently work this is one of the first lessons I learned about BBQ and it is the one that consistently raises true

Bludawg
07-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Obviously you have an issue that is not shared by many who are not so near sighted.You have an opinion and we all know the comparative definition of the word don't be the poster child for it. You have made your point so move on and stop trolling.Have a Nice Day.

CambuiAl
07-11-2013, 10:49 AM
This is all really good advice for novices like me to learn from, but one thing I just don't get:

How do you all break it to your family that lunch might actually be dinner, or potentially even breakfast tomorrow? It kind of makes BBQ an operational nightmare!

Arristillius
07-11-2013, 10:58 AM
I haven't missed a promised meal time since my first cook when I am doing a pork butt, I estimate based on its weight and the temp how long it will take, then I add 3 hours to that time, and start cooking based on that.

when it is done I put it into a warm cooler wrapped in towels, and I serve when everything else is ready, or when my wife says it's dinner time.

I have no clue when dinner will be done, so I figure that into my method.

Bludawg
07-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I haven't missed a promised meal time since my first cook when I am doing a pork butt, I estimate based on its weight and the temp how long it will take, then I add 3 hours to that time, and start cooking based on that.

when it is done I put it into a warm cooler wrapped in towels, and I serve when everything else is ready, or when my wife says it's dinner time.

I have no clue when dinner will be done, so I figure that into my method.I use the same basic formula for planning. In example: Since I cook at 300 I know that equates to 50 min lb on Pork butts + rest time. if it goes 1 hr Lb oh well have a few more beers.

John Bowen
07-11-2013, 12:23 PM
This is all really good advice for novices like me to learn from, but one thing I just don't get:

How do you all break it to your family that lunch might actually be dinner, or potentially even breakfast tomorrow? It kind of makes BBQ an operational nightmare!

There has already been good advice given but one thing I do when I am on a tight schedule and the group still wants BBQ – I smoke the butt the day before ( even longer if needed). I pull the pork and vacuum seal it (with a little apple juice and sauce) then toss it in the fridge. About an hour before we eat I toss the vacuum bag in some boiling water until it is heated through.

Granted it is not the same as just off the smoker but I have not had any complaints and I am not stressed out around the cook.