PDA

View Full Version : Interesting uses for grills besides cooking...

MotorCityBBQ
07-07-2013, 06:00 AM
So maybe I've been going a little crazy lately (smoke inhalation?) but what interesting uses for grills besides cooking do you have?

I want to turn a few smokey joe's into an herb pot next to the grills. Just haven't come across any cheap/free yet. Sacrilege?

LMAJ
07-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Sacrilege?
Unless it is completely rusted out, yes.

16Adams
07-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Before I turned my cookers into flower pots, I would turn my wife's flower pots into cookers.

Penalty!!!! Surrender your man card for 71.5 hours.

PS: if female, carry on--

DubfromGA
07-07-2013, 06:19 AM
What sort of madness am I reading?

Dude.....

Sean "Puffy" Coals
07-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Indirect grilling?

MotorCityBBQ
07-07-2013, 06:31 AM
I've seen a pic of a smokey joe garage light fixture and grills for storage, that type of thing.

Just a conversation starter.

LMAJ
07-07-2013, 07:00 AM
I've seen a pic of a smokey joe garage light fixture and grills for storage, that type of thing.

Oh, you've started it!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

cameraman
07-07-2013, 07:05 AM
I think it would be ok if you used what you grew to feed an animal you were going to eat. Otherwise.....

2dumb2kwit
07-07-2013, 07:21 AM
I had thought about building what appears to be a drum set, out of grills, etc..

Use a 22.5 kettle as sort of a laid down kick drum, a couple smokey joes as tom-tom's, and one of those cheap brinkman smokers as the floor tom. The lid from the brinkman could be put on a stand as the snare drum, and the lid from the webers could be hung as cymbals. Maybe a stand with a couple cast iron skillets for the high-hat.

If you used drum stands, you may be able to tilt smokey joes to look like a drum set, but still stand them upright to use as normal.

(Oh, wait....my idea would be an interesting use, in addition to cooking.) Hahaha.

Billy Ribs
07-07-2013, 07:23 AM
If you really want to re-purpose it, maybe a nice ice chest. or would that be ice kettle?

madmike
07-07-2013, 07:32 AM
If they are still able to cook food, them give to your buddies who may need a little help in the outdoor cooking dept.

16Adams
07-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Speaking of light fixtures. Old steel or aluminum stadium lights upside down Inserted into a terra cotta flower pot with a charcoal and grilling grate installed would make a fantastic hibachi.

MotorCityBBQ
07-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Maybe next post will be interesting things you can make into a grill!

nucornhusker
07-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Unless it is completely rusted out, yes.I restored a very badly treated and rusted solid redhead and use it to cook. So still no excuse. :caked:

Big Frank
07-07-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm thinking about using my Brinkman as a fire pit.

MotorCityBBQ
07-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm thinking about using my Brinkman as a fire pit.

Speaking of... sad fate for a redhead:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Reliable-Patio-Firepit-and-Grill-for-grillin-and-c/

:cry::cry::cry:

runnoft
07-07-2013, 03:11 PM
:idea: On an offset smoker strap the doors shut, slide a TATER down the smokestack pipe, spray aqua velva hair spray into the firebox and lite it off with extended lighter and my friend you now have a tater gun/mortar. :razz: :caked:

Sandman4182
07-07-2013, 03:21 PM
I use my char broil for a table top when Im smoking on the weber

Garrett
07-07-2013, 03:35 PM
:idea: On an offset smoker strap the doors shut, slide a TATER down the smokestack pipe, spray aqua velva hair spray into the firebox and lite it off with extended lighter and my friend you now have a tater gun/mortar. :razz: :caked:

If you weld in expanded metal in the top of the stack and load taters from the inside. That's a pretty cool way to make French fries!!!

caseydog
07-07-2013, 04:08 PM

Actually, if you had a stray lid, a hanging Weber lid lamp would be kinda' cool.

CD

caseydog
07-07-2013, 04:11 PM
http://www.instructables.com/id/Reliable-Patio-Firepit-and-Grill-for-grillin-and-c/

Cool idea, but yeah, they shouldn't have used a redhead. I wouldn't mind having one of those made from a common Black kettle.

CD

lemur
07-08-2013, 05:44 AM
here is my herBBQ...have not used COS since I built a uds and got a weber kettle...purple basil in firebox, rosemary sge, and thyme in cooking section (put them in order of somg so I will remember) and hot pepper in exaust.

I live next to bay of fundy and am not confident it get sunny\hot enough due to fog for pepper....

16Adams
07-08-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm contacting my legislators immediately (or just as soon as I shake this hangover). If desecration of a human corpse is a crime, so should be the desecration by sissification of a faithful long lived smoker/cooker. What's next a zircon studded pink collar for my hunting dog.?

I dream of living in a world where the motive of the chicken is not questioned.

SmokinJohn
07-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Penalty box!!!!!

HankB
07-08-2013, 08:21 AM
So maybe I've been going a little crazy lately (smoke inhalation?) but what interesting uses for grills besides cooking do you have?

I want to turn a few smokey joe's into an herb pot next to the grills. Just haven't come across any cheap/free yet. Sacrilege?

Yes! :scared:

Time to back off the smoke, buddy. :boxing: :nono:

Not as bad IMO because the cooker is still cookin'.

16Adams
07-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Herb Pot!!!!!!!!

Ambiguous. Love it.

Stingerhook
07-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Actually, my wife uses my barrel to dry herbs from the garden. It gets up to 150 deg on a sunny day and all I have to do is remove 2 cardboard flats to fire up the grill.