PDA

View Full Version : Uneven temps on Char Griller Duo After numerous Mods

RRAggie
07-04-2013, 10:20 AM
I just don't understand it. I did the chimney extension, the char broil griller basket, duel thermos, and ran some fiberglass rope around three sides (not the back) I used angle and have 5/8ths rope running nicely. 90% of my smoke exits the chimney now. Also turned over coal tray and have it butted up against the side to act as baffle.

My problem? The right side by fire box is 250 and the left side is 230. Smoking a pork shoulder.

I did most mods yesterday and fired it up last night, kept temps within 5 degrees. Now I can't keep them even. Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

ddweatherholtz
07-04-2013, 10:23 AM
That is actually pretty good. I use to have a duo, and did some mods. It is a nice starter smoker and once you perfect that thing and move up a step, smoking life will get easier!

RRAggie
07-04-2013, 10:35 AM
I am expecting too much of my Mods?

hachi-roku_fan
07-04-2013, 10:42 AM
20° difference isnt too bad.

gotribe28
07-04-2013, 10:42 AM
what are you using as fuel?

RRAggie
07-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Chunk and pecan (chunk is big green egg band)

Bludawg
07-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Remove the stack extension it should fix it. Once you flip the charcoal pan and move it to the FB side you don't need the stack extension. It worked on my Outlaw I have 5 deg variance.

gotribe28
07-04-2013, 11:41 AM
The reason I am asking is I have the same smoker and I did all the mods one thing you want to make sure you do is to take gasket maker and seal up all the holes as well as around the smoke stack and if you look in the firebox you will see where it seals with the barrel there is a huge gap there with light coming through do that too, it will make a huge difference.

My problems were not so much a temp difference but not being able to control temps. I was using wood only and the temp spikes were going to make me throw the whole smoker away.... I was really frustrated. I started using RO and cowboy lump with chunks of wood and my temps immediately held steady and its actually fun to smoking. Every pit is going to have a temp difference from side to side there is always a hot and cold side. I set my meat right in the middle if the right side starts getting to dark I turn it. The cooking area is so small that we dont have a lot of options... Hope this helps I have cooked just about everything on mine and I love it I am ready for something bigger but I can produce bbq that competes with anything I have eaten before...

gotribe28
07-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Oh I never turned over the charcoal basket I put a drip pan in the bottom usually with nothing in it I don't know if that may be the difference

jmoney7269
07-04-2013, 11:46 AM
It's a char griller, it's gonna happen. 20 deg ain't nothing. At that low of a temp, it won't matter

El Ropo
07-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Position the point of brisket, dark meat of poultry, thicker part of a roast towards the hot end. You get the idea right? Use the difference to your advantage.

RRAggie
07-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I apparently had delusions of grandeure that my mods would bring everything to within a degree!

gotribe28
07-04-2013, 01:49 PM
the best made have a bigger variance then that

RRAggie
07-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Thought it would update:

Going to do some leg quarters here shortly, but cleaned and fired up my smoker this morning. Since doing my odds I have never just played with the set up. Today I got a good fire going and averaged about 2 to 3 degrees from side to side, by moving the upside down coal tray over so that I had about an inch gap at the firebox. My problem was that I could not get the temp above about 240. I took out the upside down coal tray completely. My temps increased rapidly and stayed within a 2 to 3 degree difference. Temp settled in about 280 degrees. I have no doubt I could increase the temp as I did not have a very large fire in the box. I also have an afterburner that should be arriving on Monday, which I am sure will help bring up temps when I want it to.

Apparently in my case the coal tray/baffle was not allowing the air movement...

Bludawg
07-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Mine is up side down and tight to the fire box my temps are dead even all across the cooking surface your problem with low temps is that charcoal basket. I hate to tell you IT'S A STICK BURNER. If you want to cook with charcoal and not have to fuss with it Build a UDS. That charcoal basket is choking an already undersized firebox. Offsets are all about the flow through the pit from the intake to the exhaust. When you stuff the fire box full of a basket filled with charcoal it is like wrapping a towel over your nose & mouth and running a 5k race. I burn Post oak in mine I can run from 150 to 600+