PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Smoke Underrated?????

Q-Dat
07-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Just thought I would see if I'm all alone on something

I know that Mesquite wood has the reputation of being good for grilling but bad for smoking. I would have to agree with this if we are talking about smoking for extended periods of time. That being said, I have been using Mesquite to smoke butts and briskets for a few years, but I only use it at the beginning of the cook. Usually this is on a UDS, or WSM or any other cooker in which a minion style burn is used. What I do is after the coals are lit and at the same time that the meat goes on, I take the biggest handful of Mesquite chips and drop them in a pile right on the burning coals. What I get from this is about 20-30 minutes of Mesquite smoke that burns very cleanly. It is recognizeable as Mesquite by the smell, but its much nicer and actually kinda sweet smelling. After that burns up the rest of the smoke comes from whatever other wood that I mixed in with the coals before lighting.

I really like the results when I do this. I can't honestly say that I can pick out the mesquite flavor in the finished product, but it just seems to give it a more pronounced smoke flavor without being harsh. I think if I used much more than I do it wouldn't work out so well.

So how bout it? Anybody else like Mesquite?

EWizza
07-03-2013, 11:08 PM
I hate it! Cant help it. but different strokes...

Bludawg
07-03-2013, 11:21 PM
I use mesquite in my UDS on Brisket. I take a split about 8" long and stand it up in the middle of my basket pack lump all around it. When I start the minion burn the mesqiute burns like a wick giving off just the right amount of smoke thought the cook. S&P + Beef+ Mesquite= Awesome.

martyleach
07-03-2013, 11:28 PM
I like it in small quantities. Can really be overpowering.

bacowboy
07-03-2013, 11:30 PM
I like using a little mesquite when smoking brisket or chucks. I usually mix a little in with hickory or apple. It burns pretty hot and a little goes a long way imo.

garzanium
07-03-2013, 11:48 PM
im loving oak and just add one chunk of mesquite (5 inches x 2inches or so) at the beginning of the smoke..my family loves using all mesquite and i hate it so I use it in moderation. i think your right though, if you let it turn to blue smoke and do it at the beginning, it aint too bad. love it for grilling for sure

nucornhusker
07-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Nope, sorry. No mesquite for me.

Q-Dat
07-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Question for those who are completely against Mesquite.

Have you ever tried it used in moderation as mentioned above? Or has it always been harsh and overpowering?

Hawg Father of Seoul
07-04-2013, 12:14 AM
I use mesquite in my UDS on Brisket. I take a split about 8" long and stand it up in the middle of my basket pack lump all around it. When I start the minion burn the mesqiute burns like a wick giving off just the right amount of smoke thought the cook. S&P + Beef+ Mesquite= Awesome.

I do this with hickory or Apple. I recommend it for h&f coolers.

AZScott
07-04-2013, 12:30 AM
I've been wondering this as well after reading that Pecan Lodge uses it. I always use oak or pecan but I think a cook with all mesquite is coming up for brisket and ribs.

nucornhusker
07-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Question for those who are completely against Mesquite.

Have you ever tried it used in moderation as mentioned above? Or has it always been harsh and overpowering?I used to use it at the beginning of a cook like you mentioned, it's just one of those things that it's just not for me.

GrillsGoneWild
07-04-2013, 12:49 AM
Well I'm using Mesquite Lump on tonight's brisket cook (ala Pecan Lodge style and a few others here in Texas) with some chunks of pecan. I'm also using Pecan Lodge's rub recipe so we will see how those two things turn out.

esselle
07-04-2013, 04:11 AM
I love mesquite for Brisket but because we compete we don't get to use it much as we were told judges don't care for it.

wormraper
07-04-2013, 04:37 AM
of course. I'm from the southwest. we grill/smoke EVERYTHING with mesquite. toss in 3-4 chunks with beer can chicken, pork butts, you name it.

FireChief
07-04-2013, 05:01 AM
This is funny as I've been turning more and more to mesquite these days for smoking, not just grilling. I think it works best in big offset cookers (which I have) as yes, if it doesn't light off and turn to TBS right away you can get a funky odor. Once lit, great odor and I never get an over smoked flavor.

I find it's easy to over smoke anything with oak which is used heavily in Central Texas. I'm way out here in the great desert Southwest where mesquite is used heavily.

BigBellyBBQ
07-04-2013, 05:04 AM
not for me..

jmoney7269
07-04-2013, 06:26 AM
I love mesquite for Brisket but because we compete we don't get to use it much as we were told judges don't care for it.
^^^+^^^
great to grill with. oak, pecan and cherry for me, no other smoking woods exist

Vision
07-04-2013, 08:04 AM
I have yet to figure mesquite out. Sometimes I wonder if there are different species of it like cherry.

A few years ago while visiting a resort near Phoenix, I stepped outside while we were waiting to be seated for dinner. I'll never forget it. The air was perfumed with a magnificent smell. It's hard to describe- there were scents I'd never experienced before. It was surreal and grabbed everyone waiting to experience it. Went back inside and asked the guy who said, "we have a fire pit outside and they're burning mesquite."

I've never had anything in my pit come close to smelling like that. Even green mesquite. Some of the bag chunks have almost been off putting.

deguerre
07-04-2013, 09:15 AM
LOVE MESQUITE!!! Especially on beef. Good on butts too. I use several chunks with the minion method. Excellent smoke flavor. My second favorite next to hickory, which is, I guess, another heavy smoke wood...:becky:

JD McGee
07-04-2013, 09:52 AM
I like to use a handful of mesquite chips wrapped in a foil pouch for grilling steaks...that's about it...:cool:

ddweatherholtz
07-04-2013, 10:33 AM
In the beginning I used mesquite and over smoked everything!! Smelled great but damn it was over powering. Now I have learned to throw a chunk on early then finish with cherry or apple. I like it in small amounts.

AZScott
07-04-2013, 11:07 AM
I have yet to figure mesquite out. Sometimes I wonder if there are different species of it like cherry.

A few years ago while visiting a resort near Phoenix, I stepped outside while we were waiting to be seated for dinner. I'll never forget it. The air was perfumed with a magnificent smell. It's hard to describe- there were scents I'd never experienced before. It was surreal and grabbed everyone waiting to experience it. Went back inside and asked the guy who said, "we have a fire pit outside and they're burning mesquite."

I've never had anything in my pit come close to smelling like that. Even green mesquite. Some of the bag chunks have almost been off putting.

Had it rained earlier? The creosote bushes after a rain produce one of the greatest smells on earth. It's heavenly. I have 3 mesquites in my backyard and haven't noticed any smell from them. My creosote bush is a different story.

Vision
07-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Had it rained earlier? The creosote bushes after a rain produce one of the greatest smells on earth. It's heavenly. I have 3 mesquites in my backyard and haven't noticed any smell from them. My creosote bush is a different story.

I don't know. It's hard to describe but the air itself seemed was scented. Maybe that was it.

jmoney7269
07-04-2013, 01:16 PM

thats because they were probably cooking with the real deal honey mesquite from west texas. so many people get the mesquite cousin which is huisache and acacia and think its mesquite but jokes on them. gotta be careful because store bought marketing rules and laws are very vague and have lots of gray areas. we dont have much access to the real deal down here in central texas, but we have a crap load of pecan and post oak, which alot of west texas people and other states wish they had. to this day the best bbq i have ever eaten was cooked with honey mesquite cooked over wood that was burned down to coals.

Scottydont81
07-04-2013, 01:38 PM
I have never used mesquite for smoke wood it I have been using mesquite lump in my Vision kamado and love it. Sparks and pops we I use a torch to start the fire, doesn't when using starter cubes. Forty pound bag for $20, thought it was worth the try, definitely was worth it!

Vision
07-04-2013, 01:50 PM
thats because they were probably cooking with the real deal honey mesquite from west texas. so many people get the mesquite cousin which is huisache and acacia and think its mesquite but jokes on them. gotta be careful because store bought marketing rules and laws are very vague and have lots of gray areas. we dont have much access to the real deal down here in central texas, but we have a crap load of pecan and post oak, which alot of west texas people and other states wish they had. to this day the best bbq i have ever eaten was cooked with honey mesquite cooked over wood that was burned down to coals.

Thanks for the information. I'll try to track some down and try it.

landarc
07-04-2013, 02:25 PM
I don't like mesquite, I have used it a lot for grilling and even there, dislike it. Enough that if I am in a place that uses it for all of their meats, I will pass on eating meat at that meal.

I did try using it as a smoking wood, in small amounts, back when I though mesquite meant Texas BBQ. I didn't like it then either. There is something to the taste or aroma, that just doesn't sit at all well for me.

deguerre
07-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Well. It's beginning to look like mesquite is a love it or hate it kind of thing.:decision:

mtbchip
07-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Never liked it, tried small amounts as well. Kinda smells like Kerosene burning to me. I stick with hardwood lump and coconut shell charcoal when I can find it.

Tsevg9
07-04-2013, 04:58 PM
I used to be completely against mesquite. Had some bad experiences with people who had no clue what they were doing and used a TON of it. Made the food taste way too smokey for my liking.

When used in moderation (1 chunk) mixed with a nice fruit like cherry, the mesquite is great.

V-wiz
07-04-2013, 06:11 PM
The first time i ever smoked was a tri tip with mesquite, lets just say i used alot of it, maybe 6 or 7 golfball to baseball sized chunks. It was very smoky but it was awesome. Next day i had left over which i had stored in a glass container, as soon as i opened the lid the mesquite kicked me in the face..... I love mesquite on beef, but vegetables taste like gasoline.

caseydog
07-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Well. It's beginning to look like mesquite is a love it or hate it kind of thing.:decision:

Not for me. Mesquite is readily available all around me in North Texas. I like it for grilling. Steak cooked over Mesquite is really good, IMO, because it gets smoke flavor into the meat in a short cook. I personally don't like it for low and slow. I also don't personally like it on anything but beef.

I really, really hate cutting Mesquite. I cut a few of those so called "trees" once with my own chainsaw. Ruined a chain in about an hour. :mmph:

That free wood wasn't all that free.

CD

caseydog
07-04-2013, 06:27 PM
The first time i ever smoked was a tri tip with mesquite, lets just say i used alot of it, maybe 6 or 7 golfball to baseball sized chunks. It was very smoky but it was awesome. Next day i had left over which i had stored in a glass container, as soon as i opened the lid the mesquite kicked me in the face..... I love mesquite on beef, but vegetables taste like gasoline.

I have not cooked tri-tip on Mesquite -- I actually have never cooked tri tip. I have eaten tri-tip several times, and I can imagine tri-tip being a good choice for cooking over mesquite. The meat has a bold flavor, and you cook it hot and fast. I would love to taste some of that.

CD

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Cooper's Old Time in Llano,TX burns their mesquite down to coals in a seperate burn pit before shoveling the coals into the smoking pit. This really mellows out the smoke.