PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever built or used a Cajun Microwave?

Pyrotech
07-02-2013, 02:17 PM
I am thinking about building a small Cajun Microwave, and curious if anyone has built one or used one?

caseydog
07-02-2013, 02:34 PM
I know there are some brethren that have La Caja China cookers, which are pretty much the same thing.

CD

CraigC
07-02-2013, 02:42 PM
I have built a Caja China and cooked whole hogs Cuban style. No smoke. At that time I had access to a sheet metal brake, spot welder and non-galvanized sheet metal.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-02-2013, 03:20 PM
I've cooked on them several times. I honestly don't like the finished product enough to either build or buy one. The flavor comes from the mojo injection and, in the end, it is just one big radiant oven.

It is useful, showey and fast for whole, butterflied pigs.

Pyrotech
07-02-2013, 03:34 PM
I've cooked on them several times. I honestly don't like the finished product enough to either build or buy one. The flavor comes from the mojo injection and, in the end, it is just one big radiant oven.

It is useful, showey and fast for whole, butterflied pigs.

Thanks! that was the kind of information I was looking for.

CraigC
07-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks! that was the kind of information I was looking for.

Great. You have one person Knocking the BBQ style of another culture and you like that information. So much for open minded cusine.

Happy Hapgood
07-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Attend a tailgate at a LSU football game at Death Valley stadium and you'll see many put to proper use.

http://www.cajunmicrowaves.com/

These things have been dismissed in the West and north as nothing but a novelty or a knock off of some Chinese cooker. I call Bull Chit. Check it out for yourself at the link posted above.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-02-2013, 08:18 PM
I know that several Brethren own and like Caja Chinas. I was simply stating my opinion. I'm sure they will chime right in and give other viewpoints so the OP will get input from more than one source.

yelonutz
07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Great. You have one person Knocking the BBQ style of another culture and you like that information. So much for open minded cusine.

This from a guy saying that gas is an abomination...?

NUTZ

CraigC
07-03-2013, 07:53 AM
This from a guy saying that gas is an abomination...?

NUTZ

I'm not knocking anyones cuisine in my signature line. I just don't like gas grills. I think food tastes better done with natural charcoal or wood. Gas is great for crawfish boils, steaming crabs or getting a CI pan screaming, white hot for blackening properly.

5string
07-03-2013, 08:08 AM
My son uses one at his restaurant for the annual fathers day pig roast. Gets raves about the flavor.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-03-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm not knocking anyones cuisine in my signature line. I just don't like gas grills. I think food tastes better done with natural charcoal or wood. Gas is great for crawfish boils, steaming crabs or getting a CI pan screaming, white hot for blackening properly.

LOL. I know just what you mean. That is exactly how I feel about a Caja China. :wink:

CraigC
07-03-2013, 08:38 AM
LOL. I know just what you mean. That is exactly how I feel about a Caja China. :wink:

I live in SE Florida. In the county below where I'm at, there are probably hundreds of thousands of Caja Chinas. It is a Cuban tradition to do whole pigs underground. Unfortunately, if you dig more than a couple feet in most places here, you will hit water. The Caja China became the replacement.

Pyrotech
07-03-2013, 09:38 AM

I wasn't knocking any style of cooking. in fact I didn't say one way or another what choice His information help lead me to.

The information he provided told me several things about that Cajun microwave.

1. that the food in his experience has a lower amount of smoke flavor.

2. a good injection is needed

3. it is a Good radiant cooker

4 It does a butterfly hog fast

5. he doesn't care for it much

Since one of the reasons I was asking about it was for a small hog, his answers where most helpful. since I would be injecting the hog, and he mentioned it does a hog fast.

I also plan on using it to cook a few items outside during the heat of the summer so the fact that there is a low smoke flavor can be a bonus when doing some things that I just don't want much of a smoked taste to.

So yes, based on what may have sounded like a "dig" at the Cajun cooker, really isn't... This cooker will fit a need I have, and the answers given help me reach that conclusion. So yes they where helpful.

And thank you for reminding me that BBQ, in all its forms and styles is a subject that people are passionate and vocal about. In my opinion that's a good thing, it helps push us all to try new things and to improve.