PDA

View Full Version : New Here and Lost

dmeggers
07-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Hi All, needless to say I'm new at this.
I am 70 years old (made it) and just bought a Vision Kamado Pro S Grill, which I have been playing with (burgers, steaks, chops etc ) to get the feel of it. Now I think and hope I am ready to take on bigger tasks.
My wife told me I needed more than golf and gold panning and camping to fill my time ,so I'm here for expert help. When you are new at something you go to the experts (or at least some experience to learn from.

Thanks

Hitman0321
07-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Welcome! I'm rather new to this myself, but im sure some of the pros will weigh in soon.

westy
07-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Welcome as well. Sounds like you've got things pretty well covered, but maybe your wife is right. Never too busy too fire up a the cooker. Especially if your barbecuing a Brisket while your camping on a golf course panning for gold. Why limit yourself now! Have fun and enjoy the forum!:thumb:

Titch
07-01-2013, 01:01 AM
barbecuing a Brisket while your camping on a golf course panning for gold
Love it:laugh:

Welcome young fella, look around for the Cattle Call section and tell us a bit about yourself,
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Psst I'm new here too

Brian in Maine
07-01-2013, 04:45 AM
Welcome! You've come to the right place,

coastal
07-01-2013, 04:54 AM
Welcome. I am kinda new here as well and its a ton of help. The forum is very activate and anytime you have a specific question someone is usually here to help.

I would start by reading through some threads then asking anything specific you are wanting to learn.

Good luck and it sounds like you have a great life. Makes me envious

smokinrack
07-01-2013, 05:17 AM
If you are looking for something bigger to try at lower temps Id do a pork butt. They are very forgiving, and take a long time to cook which gives you plenty of time to figure out how to tweak your air flow to keep a constant temp, even if you overshoot it a little youre not going to hurt them.

MisterChrister
07-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Warm welcomes from Wisconsin! You've got yourself one dandy cooker and came to the right place to learn and have fun. Please get yourself a bag of lump charcoal, a charcoal chimney starter, some smoke wood chunks (not chips), and an 8-10# pork shoulder/butt roast. You'll find what you need to get cooking after a brief search here (at the bottom of the page) for "pulled pork". Keep it simple your first few cooks, and remember that the fun part is the learning. Even if you make a few mistakes, your first Q will still taste better than what you can buy at 99% of restaurants around. We're sure glad you came!

Chris

angryfish01
07-01-2013, 06:06 AM
Glad your here.
For some real inspiration go to the throw down section. You will be inspired by the creativity.

mrboy
07-01-2013, 06:09 AM
1+ on the pork butt... next think you're going to have to decide is what religion you are.

Low-n-slow or hot-n-fast!

Many threads on both, l-n-s cooking temps around 225, h-n-f, 275+.

Throw a little basic rub on your butt add fire and enjoy.

jmoney7269
07-01-2013, 06:16 AM
welcome and we like pics! :biggrin1:

DC-Q
07-01-2013, 06:21 AM
Welcome DMeg. You've come to the right place. People on this forum have tons of
info for you to soak up. Enjoy.

SmokeDiddy
07-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Welcome dmeggers! Like many have eluded to above, the boston butt is a good place to start when new to smoking and many times to new cookers as well. I do not venture too far from my cooking abilities, so pulled pork is usually at the top of my menu when cooking for others. If it is just me and mama, I will step out of my comfort zone and cook other things. Nevertheless, smoking as a hobby will definitely fill-in any time gaps you have and I believe your wife will be pleased with the results. Just remember patience is the key to low-n-slow. Good luck and remember to post any questions you have along the way and add pictures (pron) of your cook, cooker set-up etc as it will help us understand and answer any questions you have.

PaPaQ
07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Fat Cap
07-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Kick yer shoes off and sit a spell. There's lots to learn if you're willing to ask questions!

cowgirl
07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard!

Arlin_MacRae
07-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Welcome to our little corner of the world.
You might want to run a search or two down near the bottom of the page, where it says Google Custom Search in small print. I'd look for ceramic cookers or maybe Big Green Eggs, since they should cook pretty much the same.
Ask your questions, too. That's why we're here. :)

Arlin

EX~DY
07-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Welcome, from Naples, FL!

bluetang
07-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.