PDA

View Full Version : Venison steaks

isuhunter
06-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Father inlaw gave me some venison steaks...

What suggestions do you guys have for them?

TroyA65
06-24-2013, 07:58 PM
I'll be watching, I need some good recipes.:idea: I still have 50 lbs in the deep freeze and the wife & kids aren't in love with the natural flavor:roll:

Grain Belt
06-24-2013, 08:28 PM
I like to cook venison hot and fast over a nice bed of blazing coals. A light coating of olive oil or canola. A liberal amount of fresh cracked pepper and some sea salt. I like to sear it and cook to an internal of about 130. Rest ten minutes under a foil tent for juices to redistribute and serve it up. Another treat would be to put a pat or two of butter on the steak as you are resting it. It is simple but effective for my palate.

Teleking
06-24-2013, 08:38 PM
One of my many= Pressure cook and shred it, make gravy with stock, make shepards pie.

FromthePitBBQ
06-24-2013, 10:38 PM
I like to cook venison hot and fast over a nice bed of blazing coals. A light coating of olive oil or canola. A liberal amount of fresh cracked pepper and some sea salt. I like to sear it and cook to an internal of about 130. Rest ten minutes under a foil tent for juices to redistribute and serve it up. Another treat would be to put a pat or two of butter on the steak as you are resting it. It is simple but effective for my palate.

2nd!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You could also use some Montreal Steak Seasoning.

FWIW, the diet of deer impacts the flavor of the meat. Here in Southern Michigan they are mostly corn fed (like beef), but in Northern MI and the UP it's all wild feed. I won't eat venison from up there, it's really "gamey" tasting.

ssv3
06-25-2013, 01:37 AM
This is what we do:

Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Sliced onions
olive oil or canola oil (optional)

Once you season with the above let it "marinate" in the fridge for a few hours. Onions are a good and natural tenderizer. Take it out about 45 mins prior to the meat hitting the grill. Basically get it to room temp. Nice bed of coals then hot and fast it as mentioned above. This is a favorite among friends who are hunters and bring the meat and I cook it.:mrgreen:

deerslayer8153
06-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Tenderize them (if they have not already been cubed) with a meat mallet. salt & pepper to taste then dredge in flour and pan fry. It won't take long, just get them crisp on the outside.

Now you can make gravy and eat them with the gravy spooned over them and some rice.

Or you can lightly brown them, make gravy add onions, put them in the gravy, cover and simmer til super tender.

Nothing is better!!

cowgirl
06-25-2013, 09:49 AM
I like them grilled hot and fast too...and keep them pink in the center.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105674

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/cowgirls-photos_album/outdoor%20cooking/160-2-1.jpg

Grilled with wild onion sauce...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156909

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/cowgirls-photos_album/venison%20and%20wild%20onions/063_zpsc2f60b96.jpg

I love them chicken fried too!!

sportsnut
06-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Looks awesome cowgirl !

legendaryhog
06-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Father inlaw gave me some venison steaks...

What suggestions do you guys have for them?

Do you know what cut it is? I.e., is this a loin (backstrap) cut into steaks or a roast of the deer's hindquarters (which would be where the top and bottom round, and sirloin would be. If these are loin steaks, you want it hot and fast on your grill. It is going to be like a filet mignon in texture and size. If it is off the hindquarters, it's going to be a little tougher. You can still go hot and fast, but you may want to tenderize ever so slightly as it will be much denser than the loin. Either way, you can't go wrong with a little oil (bacon grease!), salt, and pepper. Just be super careful not to over cook. If the deer came from farm country (looks like you are in Iowa) it was eating corn and wheat and will not be as gamy as a deer that was living in the woods eating acorns so you don't need to disguise the flavor. Keep it simple and you won't go wrong.

legendaryhog
06-25-2013, 10:52 AM
+1 this is spot on.

WineMaster
06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
One of my many= Pressure cook and shred it, make gravy with stock, make shepards pie.

That sounds Dam good