PDA

View Full Version : powerwashing the pit?

ironmanerik
06-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Just read an article from another post by "meathead" that said most good cooks power wash the inside of their pit regularly, is this true? I thought a well seasoned pit was the objective.

legendaryhog
06-24-2013, 02:38 PM
I have never cleaned my pit out aside from scoping out the accumulated drippings. Do you use some kind of degreaser in your power-washer?

DownHomeQue
06-24-2013, 02:40 PM
no powerwashing here either... i would think that would be a good way to shorten the life of your smoker.. by causing rust out way before it should.. and you would be always reseasoning.. i work hard for the seasoning and bark in my pit.. not going to wash it out.

Hozman
06-24-2013, 02:47 PM
I had a big stick burner that I would power wash twice a year. It was a large off set and I would usually get one grease fire a year from build up. I used no degreaser just water. Soon as it was done I lit a fire top dry any water that was inside. Never had issues with rust.

luke duke
06-24-2013, 02:55 PM
I pressure wash mine every couple of years.

Pete's Meat
06-24-2013, 02:57 PM
I was wondering about this recently, also. I have a SNPP that I've been using pretty heavily for about 2 years now, and the last time I used it I had some bark, from the inside of the smoker, fall on my ribs. I looked and there is more of this bark just barely hanging on, should I just scrape it off?
Thanks

legendaryhog
06-24-2013, 03:10 PM
I was wondering about this recently, also. I have a SNPP that I've been using pretty heavily for about 2 years now, and the last time I used it I had some bark, from the inside of the smoker, fall on my ribs. I looked and there is more of this bark just barely hanging on, should I just scrape it off?
Thanks

I have had this happen sometimes too. I just lightly take a grill brush to it and all the loose bark comes off. I leave the bark that doesn't come off on there, ie, don't scrape to hard. It always reforms after a few more cooks.

John Bowen
06-24-2013, 03:28 PM
I pressure wash my big pit about twice a year – some of the grease build up holds moisture and starts to smell IMHO. This is what I do to the letter – first I make sure the next day will be a bright sunny day then …

The night before I take a weed burner and hit the heavy built up places mainly on the left side and the grill grates. Then at the crack of dawn I hit the smoker with the pressure washer –JUST WATER – no chemicals. I then wipe down the smoker and let it air dry. The sun makes short work of this. Then I re season and start a fire in the firebox. I take it up to 350 degrees and let it burn out – around 3 hours maybe more.

nmayeux
06-24-2013, 03:51 PM
I have had my little Lang for 8 years, and have never pressure washed it. After each cook, while still hot, I take a stainless wire brush (welding section at HD or Lowes) to the grates, and one of those multi use putty knives to scrape the pan. If anything is really stuck to the pan, also hit it with the wire brush.

In addition, I make sure that all ashes are removed, as ashes + water equals rust..

Since the Lang has the drain in the pan which I leave open during cooks, there is little to no risk of a grease fire. Also, there is no grease build up if you keep it clean after each cook.

nucornhusker
06-24-2013, 03:52 PM
About once or twice a year (when needed) I take a big drywall mud knife and scrape the inside of my stickburner. It keeps it seasoned but takes off all of the excess.

ironmanerik
06-24-2013, 04:12 PM
I have had my little Lang for 8 years, and have never pressure washed it. After each cook, while still hot, I take a stainless wire brush (welding section at HD or Lowes) to the grates, and one of those multi use putty knives to scrape the pan. If anything is really stuck to the pan, also hit it with the wire brush.

In addition, I make sure that all ashes are removed, as ashes + water equals rust..

Since the Lang has the drain in the pan which I leave open during cooks, there is little to no risk of a grease fire. Also, there is no grease build up if you keep it clean after each cook.
This is exactly what I've been doing if your Lang is 8 years old I should be good.

John Bowen
06-24-2013, 04:57 PM
About 2 years ago I saw the Lang group cook at the Don't Be Cruel BBQ Duel in Tupelo. They had several of the big Langs up and running. I saw the team start a big fire in each one and then use a garden hose to spray down inside the pits. They sprayed two to 5 min. then closed the pit doors. They said they were cleaning the pits before they cooked and that Lang reccomended that before each cook. They basicly steamed the pits.

I think they even have a video of how to clean their pits on their website doing a similar thing.

ButtBurner
06-24-2013, 05:18 PM
About 2 years ago I saw the Lang group cook at the Don't Be Cruel BBQ Duel in Tupelo. They had several of the big Langs up and running. I saw the team start a big fire in each one and then use a garden hose to spray down inside the pits. They sprayed two to 5 min. then closed the pit doors. They said they were cleaning the pits before they cooked and that Lang reccomended that before each cook. They basicly steamed the pits.

I think they even have a video of how to clean their pits on their website doing a similar thing.

there is.

I asked about this a while back and people told me that was a crazy idea.

Mahoney86
06-24-2013, 05:32 PM
I dont do anything other than a wire brush to my grates and if any heavy build up is on my reverse flow plate Ill knock it off with a putty knife. Thats about it.

I spent a good part of my day yesterday watching BBQ Pitmaster reruns. One thing I noticed is that all of their pits were spotless on the inside. Not sure if it just looks that way from TV or what but they looked super clean inside