PDA

View Full Version : New Deck Question

williamj
06-12-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm actually adding onto an old deck, 12x12 and making it a 12x24. if it were your deck what feature or features would you incorporate into it to make it more enjoyable either for leisure or for cooking? Thanks for your help.

Not sure this is in the right place or not but I am looking for cooking features.

aawa
06-12-2013, 05:54 PM
I would definitely have a roof over part of the deck so you can cook whenever it rains and not have to worry about getting rained on.

landarc
06-12-2013, 06:03 PM
A lot depends on your cooker, but, things I always wish I had...

1. A hose bib and short food grade hose near my cooker, maybe even a small sink.
2. A place to put hot stuff down, or greasy stuff down, without staining the deck.
3. A place to store the bags of charcoal or wood that I am using, that is out of the weather, dry, but convenient to the cooker. That also looks nice, clearly I could continue to use the plastic garbage pail, but, it looks bad.
4. A good, strong, elevated platform for the ice chest, so I don't have to go back and forth into the house.
5. A NEMA rated dual outlet and a post mounted light, directly over my cookers.

Teamfour
06-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Everything landarc said...plus lots of lighting.

oldbill
06-12-2013, 06:14 PM
I would definitely have a roof over part of the deck so you can cook whenever it rains and not have to worry about getting rained on.
Yep! I'm actually building a small extension off of my deck that will be covered and will be the home of the pit that I'm having built. The cover will be large enough to cover the new smoker, my Webber kettle, my gas grill and my wood rack. I'm either grilling or smoking at least twice a week for my family and I'm tired of fighting the elements to do it.

Neonnblack
06-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Landarc, look up deck boxes.

Evilsports
06-12-2013, 07:00 PM
I started to make a post about the fact that we're building a deck, and offering some advice. I re-read it and I came across like a bragging blowhard basically just describing the deck we're building.

I'll try again when I'm not so excited about my own deck.

Kevin.

runnoft
06-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Instructions for caring for your deck in this video!!!!
Blue Collar Comedy Tour - BIG DECK - starring Drew Carey - YouTube

realspaazz
06-12-2013, 07:36 PM
I really want to add a sink with a foot operated faucet.

jazzbert
06-12-2013, 07:48 PM
+1 on the lighting and on having a roof. I have a covered 15" x 15" deck before my outdoors deck and I will never be able to go back. Rain or shine, I can Q.

have fun,
Jazzbert

Bludawg
06-12-2013, 08:12 PM
The last Deck I was on was Haze Gray, the only up grade I would have made would have been to remove the Screws. If you talking about your "Land Dock" behind the house a Built in refreshment station( Beer Cooler) and a Place to string a Hammock with a Skeeter net for those tough days & nights of smoking.

williamj
06-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Instructions for caring for your deck in this video!!!!
Blue Collar Comedy Tour - BIG DECK - starring Drew Carey - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ7Ue5emo6I)

I haven't seen that in a long time....classic

williamj
06-12-2013, 08:33 PM
The last Deck I was on was Haze Gray, the only up grade I would have made would have been to remove the Screws. If you talking about your "Land Dock" behind the house a Built in refreshment station( Beer Cooler) and a Place to string a Hammock with a Skeeter net for those tough days & nights of smoking.

Yeah I'm probably going composite with the hidden fastener system