PDA

View Full Version : Brisket "Sell by date".....

snook806
06-12-2013, 07:35 AM
My plans were to smoke this brisket on Saturday or Sunday but after I bought it I learned from the warden that we had other plans. How much past the "sell by date" will this brisket still be Okay if only kept in the fridge because there is absolutely no room in my freezer.

Ron_L
06-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure from the sell by date. That date is applied by the store based on their own policies. What is important is the pack date for that brisket, which is usually stamped on the case. Most stores set the sell by date based on a number of days past the pack date but that can vary by store.

But... In most cases you will be fine for a week. Lots of us regularly wet age briskets in the cryovac for up to 50 days past the pack date. Odds are your brisket isn't much mor than 30 days past the pack date and probably a lot less than that.

You can get some idea of the age by looking at the cryovac package. When freshly packed it is tight to the meat with no bubbled. As the brisket ages it will give off some gas and that will form bubbles. When it is aged about three week the bubbles will be about the size of a dime. 4 weeks, the size of a nickel.

Did any of that help? I'm still drinking my coffee. :-D

IamMadMan
06-12-2013, 08:00 AM
I agree with Ron.... There is no way to be sure...

Find a friend who may have some freezer space and ask them to hold it for you.

ButtBurner
06-12-2013, 08:04 AM
you will be fine

thats SELL BY date not USE BY date.

they build some fudge factor in. They dont expect you to run right home and cook it

Bludawg
06-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Under COLD refrigeration(36 deg) you should be good for 5-7 days. As long as it don't smell like mouldy sweat sock toe jam cook it.

snook806
06-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Under COLD refrigeration(36 deg) you should be good for 5-7 days. As long as it don't smell like mouldy sweat sock toe jam cook it.

:rofl:lol...... Mouldy sweat sock toe jam...don't know and don't want to know what that smells like......but thanks for your guys input. :laugh: