PDA

View Full Version : Chicken quarters HELP

The Pig's Blanket
06-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Need some advice on smoking chicken quarters. I have never attempted them so "Chicken quarters for dummies" please... Temp? Time? Seasoning? and special instructions... THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Ron_L
06-08-2013, 12:00 PM
I like to do chicken at higher temps, at least 275, preferably 300+. Otherwise the skin gets rubbery. I cook them to about 180 internal. They are safe to eat at 165 but I prefer the texture at 180.

lantern
06-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Ron nailed it with his advice. I go 300-315. I'll add I like maple(or any light flavor) for birds but LIGHT being the key. There is very little between them and just thighs just keep the thin parts tucked or trimmed.

As far as seasoning goes I can't help. Different strokes for different folks. I might feel like jerk one day, garlic and butter the next and then lemon pepper after.

wormraper
06-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I like doing quarters at 350 degrees for about an hour. as for wood I like a nice blend of hickory and mesquite chips. adds a nice rich flavor (I come from the southwest so we add mesquite to EVERYTHING)

Ron_L
06-08-2013, 12:20 PM
I forgot about the wood. Cherry. It gives the skin a nice color.

For seasoning I change it up but Plowboys BBQ Yardbird is my favorite for chicken.

16Adams
06-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Grab a nice food safe plastic or steel bucket. Soak the quarters overnight in one cup of garlic OR onion powder and water to the top of bucket. An old cooler really works well will with ice for "chicken duty". Pat dry. Rub a homemade chipotle mayonnaise and place on the grate of your Pit Barrel Cooker (you inadvertently stated you had a l-beg coming). Typo probably ;-)

I prefer my steaks rare and my chicken well done. 185-195.

Bludawg
06-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm with Ron but I prefer either a little mesquite or OAK or Pecan on my chicken. I like Slap Ya Momma
or just plain old Lawreys with a big pinch of cayenne added.

NBBD
06-08-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm a cheater, 275 until meat is 160 then on kettle skin down 5 mins or so flip sauce rest serve

Edit: my go to rub for chicken are tsunami spin and rendezvous... Crazy but was given some hate it on pork love it on chick

ajstrider
06-08-2013, 03:06 PM
I just did some for the first time a week ago. I did 275F, should have went to 300F like everyone else above has said. I brined mine overnight is just salt and water, first time ever brining, not much effort, also not sure if it helped, but the chicken was juicy and delicious. I used the Plowboys Yardbird and really liked it. I used hickory wood, as I generally do on all things. The trick to chicken is getting the skin nice and crispy while keeping the meat from drying out.

Big Country BBQ
06-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Rub throw on cooker 275 300 for 45 min a side cook until you can twist the leg bone and its completely cooked