PDA

View Full Version : WSM not coming above 210ish

FiremanMike
06-07-2013, 12:51 PM
I did my inaugural burn yesterday with no meat just to make sure I knew how to operate it, today was my first effort at smoking ribs in it. Yesterday I had no problem playing with the vents to get it to go between 210-240, today it was warmed up prior to putting the meat on at about 235, since the meat went on I can't get the dome thermometer over 210ish. All three bottom vents are all the way open, top vent is all the way open..

It was colder yesterday than today..

Tips?

I was planning on pulling the ribs off to foil at 2 hours (babybacks), should I give them longer since it's lower?

Smoothsmoke
06-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Are you using some of the same charcoal from yesterday?

MS2SB
06-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Can you give us a little more information. How did you start the fire? What sort of charcoal are you using? Water pan in or out? Do you have a temperature reading at the grate?

Redleg71
06-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Had the same thing happen to a friend. Turns out the discomboluter on his was broken. I'd return it.

grantw
06-07-2013, 01:07 PM
im guessing its a coal issue or how you lit it. i always use minion method with at least half a bucket of lit on top

peaspurple
06-07-2013, 01:09 PM
did you let your meat sit out to get to room temp before putting it on? if not this can cause low temp issues until it all catches up..

FiremanMike
06-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Sorry all, been a crappy morning and I'm a bit scattered.

Same charcoal as yesterday, minion used both times, 4 fist size pieces of hickory around the ring with 2 smaller pieces of hickory and 2 smaller pieces of apple also around the ring. Water bowl has about 3 quarts today, yesterday it was only 2 quarts, still only about 3/4 full of water.

Temp is starting to come up now, we're running around 235 again, so I may have posted early. Ribs have been on an hour before temp finally came up, how long should I extend my initial 2 hours (was planning on 2-2-1)

FiremanMike
06-07-2013, 01:10 PM
did you let your meat sit out to get to room temp before putting it on? if not this can cause low temp issues until it all catches up..

Yep, when I lit I rubbed my ribs and let them sit out before I put them on.

peaspurple
06-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Yep, when I lit I rubbed my ribs and let them sit out before I put them on.

what about your pan? did you add any water to it? if so hot or cold this can help or hurt you as well.

Smoothsmoke
06-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Sounds like it just needed some time to come up to temp. Probably due to heating of the water. Also, if you're using some of the left over charcoal from yesterday, do knock the ash down through the charcoal grate.

FiremanMike
06-07-2013, 01:12 PM
what about your pan? did you add any water to it? if so hot or cold this can help or hurt you as well.

Lukewarm both times, but smoker was at temp before adding the ribs, so I guess I would have assumed that meant the water was warmed as well?

DriverWild
06-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Maybe your water was a little cooler at the start today? Just a thought...

CharredApron
06-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Don't worry be happy, cook them till they past the toothpick test and the bend test, they'll be done when they're done.

peaspurple
06-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Lukewarm both times, but smoker was at temp before adding the ribs, so I guess I would have assumed that meant the water was warmed as well?

then i would definitely look at fuel. i always run my top vent wide open on my WSM and adjust the bottom vents for control. one other thing how many briquettes did you add in the beginning? i always start with about 8 to 10.

FiremanMike
06-07-2013, 01:18 PM
then i would definitely look at fuel. i always run my top vent wide open on my WSM and adjust the bottom vents for control. one other thing how many briquettes did you add in the beginning? i always start with about 8 to 10.

Honestly I'd say probably more today than yesterday, and I had a good flame coming up the chimney when I dumped it as opposed to yesterday.. Maybe that's the issue, is that it came up to temp slower yesterday than today, so the water was actually a bit more stable yesterday..

As for the toothpick/bend test, should it be "like butter" before putting them in foil?

Redleg71
06-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Did you adjust the doodad on the thingamajig?

FiremanMike
06-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Did you adjust the doodad on the thingamajig?

The way today is going, I appreciate the chuckle you elicited.. Thanks :)

Smoking Westy
06-07-2013, 01:21 PM
It's gotta be a fuel issue. I use the minion method in my 22.5", full load of coal and then light about 12-15 briquettes and sprinkle over the load of coal. It usually takes about 25-30 minutes for the smoker to come up to 200-225 which is when I put the meat on and dial back the three bottom vents to about 25% open. From there she climbs to about 250-260 and settles in nicely.

My guess is you didn't have enough lit coals initially and it just took longer to get up to temp.

I've had no issues getting my WSM up to 300 degrees and with lump I was able to get it up over 400 degrees.

FiremanMike
06-07-2013, 01:25 PM
It's gotta be a fuel issue. I use the minion method in my 22.5", full load of coal and then light about 12-15 briquettes and sprinkle over the load of coal. It usually takes about 25-30 minutes for the smoker to come up to 200-225 which is when I put the meat on and dial back the three bottom vents to about 25% open. From there she climbs to about 250-260 and settles in nicely.

My guess is you didn't have enough lit coals initially and it just took longer to get up to temp.

I've had no issues getting my WSM up to 300 degrees and with lump I was able to get it up over 400 degrees.

I'm just confused because it was at 235 and rising, then I put the ribs on, and it struggled to get above 210 for the next 40 mins or so..

Smoothsmoke
06-07-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm just confused because it was at 235 and rising, then I put the ribs on, and it struggled to get above 210 for the next 40 mins or so..

That's normal. You're putting on cold meat and that will drop the temp for about 30 minutes or so.

K-Train
06-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Had the same thing happen to a friend. Turns out the discomboluter on his was broken. I'd return it.
I'd say it's the fraculator not the discomboluter

FiremanMike
06-07-2013, 01:29 PM
That's normal. You're putting on cold meat and that will drop the temp for about 30 minutes or so.

Ok, that makes sense.

So do I consider that first 45 mins at 210 to be a part of my initial 2 hours at 225?

Redleg71
06-07-2013, 01:36 PM
I'd say it's the fraculator not the discomboluter

If i had a nickel for every fraculator I've had to replace!!!!

peaspurple
06-07-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm guessing you are half way thru your cook by now, I can almost smell them.

FiremanMike
06-07-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm guessing you are half way thru your cook by now, I can almost smell them.

They're smelling pretty amazing right now!!

boogiesnap
06-07-2013, 03:43 PM
smellin good!

couple thoughts...

your therm is off. mine is too, but oddly, the further into the cook the closer it gets to actual temp.

if your wood chunks are around, i.e., outside the ring, maybe you choked off the fire by blocking airflow.

if the vents are all still wide open and you're only reading @ 235* i would strongly suggest some further investigating, cuz sumthin ain't right in that case. i'll burn 350* pretty with all the vents open.

cameraman
06-07-2013, 03:50 PM
235 at the dome is about 210 at the grate on my WSM

cds9333
06-07-2013, 04:59 PM

I would also make sure the turboencabulator is adjusted properly.

ButtBurner
06-07-2013, 05:39 PM
don't worry be happy, cook them till they past the toothpick test and the bend test, they'll be done when they're done.

answer answer answer

;)

charrederhead
06-07-2013, 05:45 PM

That's exactly why I bought a used 2001 WSM, before they put all that pollution control crap on them!

HankB
06-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Ok, that makes sense.

So do I consider that first 45 mins at 210 to be a part of my initial 2 hours at 225?
Yes.

I'm betting that you are measuring temp using the lid thermometer. When you add that meat., even at room temperature, that affects the reading quite a bit.

I'm sure that your cook is coming along fine. But let us know either way.

Shooting for 235°F with water in the bowl is going to be a little tough since water boils at 212°F. You can get higher temps by foiling the bowl instead and your ribs will cook a little faster, but either way should produce good ribs.

Now I'm hungry. :hungry:

1911Ron
06-07-2013, 06:09 PM
If it were me i would dump the water, foil the pan and continue on with what you are doing.

When doing Baby Backs and you want to foil them 2hrs with out foil 2hrs in foil and then 1hr unfoiled (times depend on how hot you run, less time the hotter you run your cooker) Spares are 3-2-1 again time is approx.

I used to foil, then i read on here of folks cooking their ribs unfoiled and i have not looked back since cooking them straight thru and no foil. YMMV

Time is is a guesstimate and can vary by how hot your cooker is,how much fat and connective tissue there is and many other things. BBQ is done when it's done!

boogiesnap
06-07-2013, 07:27 PM
If it were me i would dump the water, foil the pan and continue on with what you are doing.

When doing Baby Backs and you want to foil them 2hrs with out foil 2hrs in foil and then 1hr unfoiled (times depend on how hot you run, less time the hotter you run your cooker) Spares are 3-2-1 again time is approx.

I used to foil, then i read on here of folks cooking their ribs unfoiled and i have not looked back since cooking them straight thru and no foil. YMMV

Time is is a guesstimate and can vary by how hot your cooker is,how much fat and connective tissue there is and many other things. BBQ is done when it's done!

are you sure you typed those times right? 2 hours in foil? especially for BB?

as a former competitor i can say, BBQ is certainly not "done when it is done". it is done when it needs to be, and served when scheduled. the cook can absolutely ensure that.

stargate823
06-07-2013, 08:09 PM

as a former competitor i can say, BBQ is certainly not "done when it is done". it is done when it needs to be, and served when scheduled. the cook can absolutely ensure that.

I'd love for you to elaborate on that - one of the most prized lessons I've learned with proper que is patience.

kds9547
06-07-2013, 10:30 PM
I pull my ribs when they are done. Folks can wait.

Guys turn in over or undercooked meats at comps all the time. Ever seen Pitmasters?

1911Ron
06-07-2013, 10:47 PM

OOOPPPss you are correct it should be 1hr for BB, i don't foil anymore so i don't remember quite so well:biggrin1: And yes i do not go by time i go by doneness!

sportsnut
06-07-2013, 11:52 PM
What brand of brick are you burning ?

boogiesnap
06-08-2013, 08:53 AM
I pull my ribs when they are done. Folks can wait.

Guys turn in over or undercooked meats at comps all the time. Ever seen Pitmasters?

um, yeah, and guys and gals turn in perfectly cooked meat too. again, the cook can ensure this. it takes practice and timing.