PDA

View Full Version : Jalapeno pepper jelly on ribs - what say ye?

dwfisk
06-06-2013, 02:54 PM
My wife's garden has had an abundance of jalapenos so she made a dozen pints of homemade jalapeno pepper jelly - pretty durn tasty and it has some kick. I'm thinking about mixing some 50/50 with honey and foil wrap some spare ribs in a 3-2-1 style cook this weekend. Does it need anything else? What say ye?

aawa
06-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Do it up and let us know how it comes out!

Ron_L
06-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Sounds good to me!

PatAttack
06-06-2013, 03:06 PM
You could also mix some with your favorite bbq sauce.

Sounds tasty to me!:thumb:

jasonjax
06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
I say ye test it out and let us know post-haste!

jimstocks53
06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Should be killer - might not need the honey.

JONESY
06-06-2013, 03:27 PM
I've had ribs with pepper jelly before, damn good, really damn good. They were not foiled and I would be careful with adding honey, there is a ton of sugar in jelly to begin with.

PatAttack
06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
I bet that would make some KILLER pig candy!!

deguerre
06-06-2013, 03:32 PM
I'll take a different tack and say it will be WAY too sweet for ribs. I'd add some vinegar to balance out, and make it more sauce like. As Pat said, pig candy as in bacon? Sure. But even bacon has a lot of salt going for it to balance in a different way.

PatAttack
06-06-2013, 03:34 PM
I'll take a different tack and say it will be WAY too sweet for ribs. I'd add some vinegar to balance out, and make it more sauce like. As Pat said, pig candy as in bacon? Sure. But even bacon has a lot of salt going for it to balance in a different way.

STFU, Donnie. You're out of your element.:laugh:

kds9547
06-06-2013, 03:38 PM
I think it'll be fine w/out the honey but WTF do I know. Let us know how it turns out.

The Pig's Blanket
06-06-2013, 03:47 PM
My wife's garden has had an abundance of jalapenos so she made a dozen pints of homemade jalapeno pepper jelly - pretty durn tasty and it has some kick. I'm thinking about mixing some 50/50 with honey and foil wrap some spare ribs in a 3-2-1 style cook this weekend. Does it need anything else? What say ye?

I'd love to see a recipe for the pepper jelly. I'm going to make some this summer

Crimson
06-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Now if you can stop tasting this when making a rib glaze or ham.

Spicy Root Beer and Bourbon Glazed Baby Back Ribs
Glaze:
2 (12-ounce) cans root beer
2 tablespoons hot pepper jelly
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons steak sauce (recommended: Emeril's Steak Sauce)
1 teaspoon Caribbean Pick-A-Peppa sauce
6 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
2 teaspoons bitters (recommended: Angostura)
1 cup bourbon
1 cup sugar
To make the glaze, place all of the ingredients for the glaze in a 6-quart pot or larger, and cook over medium-high heat. Bring the contents of the pot to a boil, stirring often to dissolve the sugar. Once the mixture has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and allow the mixture to reduce to a glaze consistency, about 25 to 30 minutes longer. Remove the glaze from the stove and strain though a fine mesh strainer. Reserve and keep warm, until ready to use.

Jason TQ
06-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Heck ya! Make sure you document it for us :-D

dwfisk
06-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Told the wife what I was up to, she responded by saying we needed a taste test and getting a jar out with a little cream cheese & crackers (wine is hers, I'm relaxing with Wild Turkey rocks). Plenty of kick, not all that sweet and it already has a vinegar hit, so I think I'm just gonna use it straight up out of the jar.
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s661/dwf703/001_zps813845ee.jpg
She started with a Paula Deen recipe at the FoodNetwork.com, but this is what she really did:
1 bell pepper, 4 large jalapeno & 4 large cayenne peppers (all right off the vine) chopped fine in a blender - made 2 cups
1 cup apple cider vinegar
3 cups sugar
1/4 cup agave nectar
Bring all ^^^ to a rolling boil in a sauce pan, remove from the heat
Add lots of green food coloring to color (I will say it is green)
Add 1@3oz package of liquid pectin
Pour into sterilized jars & seal.

And, thanks for the input! I don't do foiled ribs or with any additives other than the rub so this will be an adventure. Stay tuned.

deguerre
06-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Ah! Good. So the vinegar is already there. :thumb:

MS2SB
06-06-2013, 04:27 PM
This sounds excellent. A great way to use up the not quite ripe peppers that I always have in abudnance at the end of the summer.

dwfisk
06-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Ah! Good. So the vinegar is already there. :thumb:

Yep, but thanks for the heads-up, got us thinking and that's always a good thing. She started with the Paula Deen version but doubled the peppers (she knows my tastes well) and cut the sugar in 1/2 then added the agave nectar.

TroyA65
06-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Send some up and I'll do a test run for you:-D

Sounds fantastic to me!!:eusa_clap

Budman1
06-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Send some up and I'll do a test run for you:-D

Sounds fantastic to me!!:eusa_clap

I'm in. Send some this way.

chad
06-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Been using homemade jalapeno, habanero, and datil pepper jellies since 2004.

dwfisk
06-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Been using homemade jalapeno, habanero, and datil pepper jellies since 2004.

At my son's request we did a rack with datil pepper jelly once. My only experience with additives & foil wrap, but it was really good. If we want to jack up the jalapeno jelly, how much habanero?

BillyVoltaire
06-06-2013, 08:11 PM
I have used some habanero apple jelly that my sister made in the foil and in the finishing sauce, they were absolutely delicious. Begging my sister to set me up with more, other jelly I have tried have not measured up.

BV

DavidJ
06-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Sounds delicious, going to have to try that myself!

PS... Can you send me some Jelly? :-)

dwfisk
06-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Kyle did some SL spares in his new cooker yesterday and had us over for dinner.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162926

He just baisted with the jalapeno jelly cut with a little apple juice every 45 minutes for the second 1/2 of a 6 hour cook at 235*, no foil or wrap. Combined with his sweet rub (perfectly balanced out the vinegar taste of the jelly), they had a great glaze & color and were not overly spicey. Ribs were moist and tender, clean bite but not falling apart.. This will definetly be a do over, maybe with a little more spice in the jelly. My wife is thinking the next batch might be a peach-jalapeno-habanero jelly - yum!

morgaj1
06-09-2013, 03:28 PM
I have used some habanero apple jelly that my sister made in the foil and in the finishing sauce, they were absolutely delicious. Begging my sister to set me up with more, other jelly I have tried have not measured up.

BV

Check this site out if your sister doesn't come through:

http://texaspepperjelly.com/pepper-jelly/

Hdhillin
06-09-2013, 08:45 PM
I have used jalapeno jelly on ribs before. The sweet and spice was a hit. I smoked some at work, all coworkers said they were great. I have to agree. It gave it a different flavor profile. Just let us know what you think when you cook them.

Goyo626
06-09-2013, 08:52 PM
I have been meaning to use the pickled jalapeno juice in a sauce or maybe even to finish a pork shoulder since its jalapeno infused vinegar. So yes i would try the jelly on ribs.

ssbbqguy
06-10-2013, 11:01 AM
I can't beleive it took untill the second page to hear about Texas Pepper Jellies! Craig's stuff rocks and has contributed to many rib wins nationwide. Use that as your baseline if your determined to make your own. But my bet is you'll reorder. And no, I'm not sponsored by them. I just apppreciate good, quality products. Steve.

deguerre
06-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Kyle did some SL spares in his new cooker yesterday and had us over for dinner.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162926

He just baisted with the jalapeno jelly cut with a little apple juice every 45 minutes for the second 1/2 of a 6 hour cook at 235*, no foil or wrap. Combined with his sweet rub (perfectly balanced out the vinegar taste of the jelly), they had a great glaze & color and were not overly spicey. Ribs were moist and tender, clean bite but not falling apart.. This will definetly be a do over, maybe with a little more spice in the jelly. My wife is thinking the next batch might be a peach-jalapeno-habanero jelly - yum!

Does she do special orders? :becky:

dwfisk
06-10-2013, 12:57 PM
I was actually happy to get this tip and passed it along to several folks that have asked about getting some for their cooks. I think its great his web site ordering layout lets you pick sizes and varieties to mix up an order. I definetly gonna try some to help calibrate what we should expect from our homemade versions. The garden is putting out so much this year we have plenty to experiment with.

Check this site out if your sister doesn't come through:

http://texaspepperjelly.com/pepper-jelly/

I can't beleive it took untill the second page to hear about Texas Pepper Jellies! Craig's stuff rocks and has contributed to many rib wins nationwide. Use that as your baseline if your determined to make your own. But my bet is you'll reorder. And no, I'm not sponsored by them. I just apppreciate good, quality products. Steve.

deguerre
06-10-2013, 01:00 PM
The Pineapple Habanero Jelly is par-TIC-u-larly good. I'm a repeat customer.