PDA

View Full Version : Foil Sandwich Bags???

Sauce Dog
06-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm doing bagged lunches for 100 people, and am looking to use foil sandwich bags for the sammies. The catch is that the meetings are staggered over a 2 hour period. I was thinking of putting out the first round or two of sammies simply in the foil pouches, and pulling the last round out of an electric cambro. Any advice on these foil pouches? How long do they keep food warm/hot, and any input on "bun integrity" :rolleyes:
Thanks!

landarc
06-04-2013, 05:45 PM
I have never used them. The only time I have seen them is in situations such as fast food places and catering trucks. Which tells me something about the food (although I ate the food, which tells you something about me). I have never done exactly what you are talking about doing, and I generally had an assistant with me, but, I preferred production hot service, that is to say, lay out 25 buns, top 25 buns, place top bun and wrap. Horrible alone, but, very fast with an assistant, no need to hold buns with meat.

Sauce Dog
06-04-2013, 10:17 PM
I agree, that would be ideal but unfortunately I won't have a work space at the location. I'll need to bag em at the shop and deliver in the hot boxes. I'm not as worried about the temp of the food as I am about the buns. Not sure if they'll get soggy.

themidniteryder
06-04-2013, 10:46 PM
The only experience I have with the foil bags was almost 30 years ago when I worked for a Sonic Drive Inn. I would say get a bag large enough to fold over and "seal" or the leading edge of the bun could dry out. Also, you might stick a toothpick through the bag and sammie to keep it from wanting to slide out.

landarc
06-05-2013, 12:18 AM
If the pork is not sauced, you should be okay. If it is sauced, you are going to have issues. Is there the ability to avoid saucing until service?

Sauce Dog
06-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Sauce will be in on the side. The pork will be lightly tossed with seasoned vinegar & coarsely chopped (N.C. style) but the sauce won't be runny. Also pulled chicken. I'm leaning towards just putting the meat in small styro containers, and the bun in a small deli bag. I think I'm trying to make this harder on myself than I need to. I'm used to catering with buffets, chafers, etc…the bag/box lunch is new to me. This is my wife's company who has hired me several times though, so I really want to take care of em! Thanks for the advice Landarc!
Cheers

bizznessman
06-06-2013, 12:43 AM
I agree with your concern about the sandwich getting soggy. My experience with "bagging" has caused that situation if the product is kept too long before serving. However, once sauce is added our customers usually use forks to eat the sandwich anyway.

bobaftt
06-06-2013, 09:18 AM
I think it will be soggy

Sauce Dog
06-18-2013, 11:17 AM
So the drop off went well, rave reviews! I ended up scrapping the foil bag idea and did a simple wrap with square foil pieces. The meat was heated, the sammies assembled, then put back into warmer until time to box & go. I tossed the porky lightly with my vinegar sauce, and I opted for kaiser buns. The feedback was that they were not soggy at all :biggrin1: and they want me back for the next one.

Cheers & thanks for the tips!

mikeleonard81
06-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Good to hear!!!

alejay
07-01-2013, 04:48 PM
If you use this method your quality is going to drop. I would not leave it on the bun for more than 30 min. any more than that your bun will start turning to dough/soggy and your meat will lose moisture.