PDA

View Full Version : Thank you J$

SDAR
06-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I read your posts regarding your vault and how you were getting over 12 hours on a load and able to keep your heat relatively low without a water load. I was skeptical but I wanted what I paid for with this vault.

Man I tried very small fires to start with and yeah as long as there wasn't anything else to catch, I could run for short times at around 275...where I wanted. However, when I tried to get more fuel in there to get longer times at those same temps, all of the extra fuel would catch and the temps would go to 350 or even 400 with slide closed and the guru not even running anymore...simply leaking through fan and the past the slide (mostly the slide as I now proved).

Your valve idea is brilliant, I don't know why the guy's at Pitmaker aint making them all like that now (a buddy of mine just bought a Safe and it has the slide on it).

Long story but I took your advice and tightened up the intake! It's a bit redneck; but, it worked. This is high temperature aluminum tape. It is supposed to be good up to 240 or so degrees.

Longer story, I cooked a brisket at 275 with about 3 pounds of lump and no water. It held right at 275 ( I mean right on the money ) with the guru until I opened the door when it hit 170 to wrap. That door opening was enough to pull a bunch of air through the fan and light up my fuel some past where I wanted it to be. The pit spiked to around 290 after that and wound up back down around 280 when the brisket finally finished. Next time I will close the gate on the guru anytime I open the door.

I just wanted to thank you and then of course show you how redneck the fix actually was. :oops: I'll come up with something more aesthetic, but for now it is my fix.

Thanks again!

SDAR
06-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Bump. Got knocked off in a few hours.

Daggs
06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I use a very similar tape I got from a HVAC guy.

jmoney7269
06-03-2013, 06:04 PM
We are both competitive people so no hard feelings here. I'm glad that I could help and help another BBQ brother out. This is how I load my BBQ vault up. I preheat I to 400 with a weed burner. Then I light the charcoal on the corner away from the air vent, chunk on a piece of wood, and I mean just a chunk and that's it to cook any 1 meat, let the guru do the rest. Glad that you could get your vault working perfect. From my previous ownership of the original design, just like any pit, you know what you want.
Just gettin my baby ready for a comp this weekend. Don Canterbury, don wright, brisket cases, you kill it we grill it, orange maple, papa Charlie's, and eh hem is. It's gonna be another clash of the titans. Bout 50 teams.
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/justinmargist/89ADCE99-4C48-434A-B94D-1B9B7CE8284F-2282-0000024DACE12973.jpg
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/justinmargist/3378D970-C1AC-49F2-A875-2C383F2BD506-2282-0000024D7F990FB1.jpg
I have absolute zero temperature problems with temp control with my ball valve design. Go win some cooks now bro and enjoy the way life of a properly working BBQ vault.

SDAR
06-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Good luck and good cooking. Thanks again.