PDA

View Full Version : Jerk Chicken and rice-pron-and a special thanks to Phrasty!

J-Rod
05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
First food pron post in a while, been cooking a lot but been slacking on posting:doh:...

Anyway, made some jerk chicken last night using Phrasty's "Real Jamaican Jerk" paste recipe. Let me say it is a real winner! Made the paste and marinated some wings for about three hours. Then onto the drum indirect for about two hours, smoked using pimento wood-yes PIMENTO WOOD. A quick reverse-sear and served up with island style jasmine rice and peas. I didn't get before photos:tsk:(picture chicken wings in stainless bowl with weird green paste on them):biggrin1:
But I did get a couple plated shots and a texture shot, after that there was nothin but bones on the plate! The photos make the chicken look more charred than it was-there was no burnt taste at all, just pure jerk tastiness! The pimento wood really added that "something" and the jerk wings paired awesome with the rice. A special thanks to Phrasty for sharing this great jerk recipe! Tanks mon!

The plated wings-hey I was hungry and in a hurry!
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/motorman119/jerkchick2_zpsa5cb7f23.jpg?t=1370020987

The texture shot-
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/motorman119/jerkchick1_zpsf3d4f14d.jpg?t=1370021027

Can't wait to do these for the island-themed party we're doing soon! Thanks for lookin!

The Pig's Blanket
05-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Looks great! I been having issues with my chicken but YOURS looks awesome :)

deguerre
05-31-2013, 12:47 PM
That plate ties the room together Dude.

J-Rod
05-31-2013, 12:51 PM
That plate ties the room together Dude.

LOL Thanks, man.

fingerlickin'
05-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Nice! Now tell us how you got Pimento wood will ya?

cowgirl
05-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Looks delicious to me too!!

Hi Cheese
05-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Your chicken looks great! I have a Jerk recipe I've been modding for about 2 years now. I can post it if you want. Jamaican "rice and peas" are actually red beans. Don't know if that's what you were going for or not.

smokainmuskoka
05-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Looks great!

Phrasty should be made Emperor of Jamaica. You can be Emperor of Detroit!

smokainmuskoka
05-31-2013, 03:13 PM
OK, Emperor of Michigan.

J-Rod
05-31-2013, 03:37 PM
OK, Emperor of Michigan.

LOL yeah I'll pass on being Emperor of Detroit!

deguerre
05-31-2013, 03:49 PM
Robo-Rod?

J-Rod
05-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Nice! Now tell us how you got Pimento wood will ya?

Ahh yes, da wood mon! Pimentowood.com sells it. I had to wait to order though because everything was on backorder till recently, so I bought a 2.5 lb sack of chips for $35 shipped. Pretty pricey, but I wanted to do it right. Soaked chips for 20+minutes-I usually don't soak my woods, but I did here as it was recommended by the seller. Plus I think the soaking is a good idea here since it should make the chips go farther. Put wet chips in a foil pouch and smoked away. Let me tell ya once I started smelling the smoke I was sold! Very sweet smelling with allspice overtones, not sure it could be faked with other woods even with combinations of woods. It even comes in a nifty keepsake burlap sack-
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/motorman119/photo11_zpsabaecd24.jpg?t=1370021954

J-Rod
05-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Your chicken looks great! I have a Jerk recipe I've been modding for about 2 years now. I can post it if you want. Jamaican "rice and peas" are actually red beans. Don't know if that's what you were going for or not.

Yeah I've seen that version too, but I like the green peas because their sweetness really compliments the coconut milk I put in the rice. Would definitely try the red bean version though so if you got a recipe feel free to share here. S'all good mon!

Hi Cheese
05-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the link to the pimento wood, gonna pick up some of that.

My recipe is similar to the ones you read, but hotter and simpler. Derived from Levi Roots recipe using hs Sunshine Kit.

No real measurements....

5-6 green onions chopped, about 1 cup or so
3-5 scotch bonnets, seeds removed for less heat
1/2 cup oil
Juice from 3-4 limes, toss in the lime skins
1 teaspoon all spice
4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2-3 cloves minced garlic
Pinch cinnimon
Salt
Pepper

Chop everything fine or use a food procesor and pulse a couple times. Except the lime skins, just add those to the marinade.

I use this mainly for wings and cook 2 different ways.

1- more spicy, I precook the wings on a baking sheet with just oil. When done, I marinate them in the jerk mixture then grill over high heat to crisp. They finish with a hot, bright flavor.

2- i marinate the raw wings in the mixture, reserve some of the mixture for later, then grill the wings being careful not to burn. This is why I dont use brown sugar in my recipe. About 3/4 of the way cooking, baste with the remaining mixture to brighten up the flavor. You can hit them with a squeeze of lime at the very end.

To me, its a very versatile recipe, you can add or subtract flavors to your liking, i.e ginger, garlic, hot pepper. Personally, I like alot of scotch bonnet and ginger and less garlic. the ingredients arent too overpowering, so you can just eyeball the quantity. If you do a whole chicken or chicken parts, save 1/2 the mixture to baste near the end of the cooking time.

mtbchip
06-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Pimentowood.com

Been looking for this for YEARS... Fantastic. Ever since visiting Jammy in the 90's I've sought out that true jerk taste. It's not just the spices, it's the WOOD!

THANK YOU!

CharredApron
06-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Authentic Rice and Peas are made with Pigeon Peas. Hard to find Aye would imagine in Michigan, But the red bean, or green peas are a wonderful substitute. Looks great, nice cook all the way around!

Phrasty
06-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Looks great man! Looks real juicy. :thumb:

Cheers

J-Rod
06-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Looks great man! Looks real juicy. :thumb:

Cheers

Thanks again man! I'll be making it again this weekend for an island themed party-can't wait to see the guest's reaction!