PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, some injection syringe questions

illwillmu50
05-30-2013, 04:41 PM
First off, I just joined here yesterday and would like to say thank you to everyone here... ive been reading for a while and have learned a TON. All my cooks have gone off really well and everyone says its the best.

I plan on cooking for people at work tomorrow.. 10lb and 7 lb, lilly's injection and standard rub. My question is about how everyone cleans their injection syringe. I guess im a little concerned, since my wife made the point that im jabbing raw meat with a needle and better clean it well between cooks.

I do clean them but lets say I forget to clean well one time. Do you think some bacteria could grow to something nasty and comtaminate? Ill be cooking to 200 for pull pork, which im told should kill eveything, but wanted your guys opinion (or ease my concerns :grin:) The last thing I want to do is bring down my department at work due to bad food and run a less than flattering reputation :oops:

Again, thanks to you all for the awesome advice in the past. Glad to be here!

boogiesnap
05-30-2013, 05:10 PM
i suck in some hot soap and water from a cup, shake, and squeeze out. 3 or 4 times. never had an issue.

oh, and a rinse suck and squeeze or 2 after.

oh, oh....wecolme!

popeye
05-30-2013, 07:19 PM
i suck in some hot soap and water from a cup, shake, and squeeze out. 3 or 4 times. never had an issue.

oh, and a rinse suck and squeeze or 2 after.

oh, oh....wecolme!

that is what i do . Just make sure the water is hot. Ad yes welcome

njfoses
05-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Remember if you are injecting you must get the meat to 140 within 4 hours. I clean mine just like boogiesnap and then wipe with an alcohol wipe.

boogiesnap
05-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Remember if you are injecting you must get the meat to 140 within 4 hours. I clean mine just like boogiesnap and then wipe with an alcohol wipe.

i've never heard that.

Rookie06
05-30-2013, 07:44 PM

Huh??? So you mean you're not supposed to let sit overnight? Never heard this and always inject the day/night before. Guess I'm missing something.

boogiesnap
05-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Huh??? So you mean you're not supposed to let sit overnight? Never heard this and always inject the day/night before. Guess I'm missing something.

you're not.

Lockon
05-30-2013, 07:48 PM

rut row...I have injected meat (beef) and let it sit over night in the fridg....is this a no no??

njfoses
05-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Sorry, i meant once you start cooking you should get the IT to 140 within 4 hours to be safe.

boogiesnap
05-30-2013, 07:56 PM
a) why would injecting have anything to do with how fast you need to get the IT?

b) never heard that either.

Beastie Boys - So What Cha Want - YouTube

illwillmu50
05-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Yeah never heard of that either... im cooking now at 225 (now the suns down it should be steady now.. temps kept bouncing). Why do you need 140 @ 4?

njfoses
05-30-2013, 08:41 PM
When you puncture meat with an injector or temp probe you run the risk of driving surface bacteria deep into the meat. Its actually 41-135 deg f witnin 4 hours but 40-140 is easier to remember. Achieving a 140 IT within 4 hours kills the bacteria. You can check out http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm186451.htm section 3-501.19, google meat 40-140 or check out post #2 http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/72852/food-safety-and-low-and-slow-discussion#post_267261 Im actually surprised nobody has heard of this.

Happy Hapgood
05-30-2013, 08:56 PM
It's a non issue if you do it continually. And Welcome!

illwillmu50
05-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Yeah checking the forums I found this post: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97617

Im assuming they are speaking about non injected though. Either way im 15 minutes shy of 4 on my cook and it's at 130. So I guess ill be covered anyway.

Good to know though, thanks! Cant believe I havent ran across this before.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
05-30-2013, 09:23 PM
I put mine in the dishwasher and call it a day.

boogiesnap
05-31-2013, 06:39 AM
When you puncture meat with an injector or temp probe you run the risk of driving surface bacteria deep into the meat. Its actually 41-135 deg f witnin 4 hours but 40-140 is easier to remember. Achieving a 140 IT within 4 hours kills the bacteria. You can check out http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm186451.htm section 3-501.19, google meat 40-140 or check out post #2 http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/72852/food-safety-and-low-and-slow-discussion#post_267261 Im actually surprised nobody has heard of this.

3-501.19 seems to be referring to how long food can be held and still consumable BETWEEN those temps. i didn't see it reference reaching 140* within 4 hours during cooking.

for what it's worth though, i always thought it was 2 hours max between 40-140.

NRA4Life
05-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Remember if you are injecting you must get the meat to 140 within 4 hours.

?!?!?! Some days I wake up feeling like part of my brain was surgically removed without me knowing it...today is one of those days.

NRA4Life
05-31-2013, 08:02 AM
I do clean them but lets say I forget to clean well one time. Do you think some bacteria could grow to something nasty and comtaminate?

Yes, if you fail to clean it well, some bacteria probably could grow. To what and what affect it would have on people...I don't know. On the injectors I use soapy water and rinse with clean water, then suck some water with a little bleach into it to sterilize it. Prior to using it again, I rinse it out with some clean water prior to using the injection mixture.

DirtyDeedz
05-31-2013, 08:28 AM
Beastie Boys - So What Cha Want - YouTube

Gotta thank you for that...R.I.P. MCA.

indianagriller
05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
For me it is just as easy to use the disposable needles. I just ordered 100 14g x 1.5 inch needles that after using i recap and throw away. Never have to worry about cleaning a needle just the tube.

njfoses
05-31-2013, 12:54 PM
?!?!?! Some days I wake up feeling like part of my brain was surgically removed without me knowing it...today is one of those days.

Im sorry you feel that way. The 40-140 in 4 hour rule especially when piercing the meat is something myself and many other people learned early on. It may not be popular belief or even known on this forum but that doesn't mean it should be discredited. I couldn't care less if people follow the rule or not, but why even take the chance?

yakdung
05-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Soap and water solution. I own a Spitjack and it is easy is disassemble and clean. I have never heard of the 140 degrees with 4 hours business. Frankly, it has never been an issue.

illwillmu50
05-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Sounds good everyone. Thanks for the advice. I did clean it well this time (for sure, after reading this thread lol) and everything went off without a hitch today at work. I hit the 135-140 pretty easily as I was around 240-250 in the beginning just so I could finish the cook before work. I guess I never noticed how easy that temp is to achieve in the time frame, since I used to not monitor the IT temps until the 2nd leg of the cook.

Turned out well, covered my costs and a tank of gas from donations so I'm set!

Thanks for bringing the 40-140 rule to my attention though- it's odd I haven't seen it yet, but doing a quick search just reminds me of all I still have to learn...

Thanks again! :biggrin1:

NRA4Life
06-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Im sorry you feel that way. The 40-140 in 4 hour rule especially when piercing the meat is something myself and many other people learned early on. It may not be popular belief or even known on this forum but that doesn't mean it should be discredited. I couldn't care less if people follow the rule or not, but why even take the chance?

I'm not buying it. I believe you have a misunderstanding of what you have quoted and it does not apply to how quickly a piece of meat must be cooked once it has been injected. If that is what you want to do, more power to you.

njfoses
06-01-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm not buying it. I believe you have a misunderstanding of what you have quoted and it does not apply to how quickly a piece of meat must be cooked once it has been injected. If that is what you want to do, more power to you.

It's not a misunderstanding but we will just agree to disagree and move on.

Big Country BBQ
06-01-2013, 01:35 PM
We just take a cup of hot soapy water and soak up the mixture with the injector till its clean