PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up some beef shorties

jamus34
05-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Sorry I don't have pictures (I was busy working around the yard to be too concerned about that) but I bought a pack of beef short ribs from Costco over the weekend and threw them on the WSM yesterday to cook them up.

Let's just say they came out less than desirable so I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong (although I have an idea).

These are the longer boneless variety that you get in bulk from Costco.

I spread some yellow mustard and sprinkled some rub on them (half with McCorm Cowboy rub and half with the Applewood rub) and put them on at around 250 for 2 hours. At around 3:30 I bumped the temp up as I was throwing a chicken on and wanted the grill closer to 300-325 to cook the bird, not thinking it would hurt the ribs.

About 2 hours later when I was ready to pull everything the ribs were charcoal. I'm still going to pull as much meat off of them as I can and eat them but they were severely overcooked IMHO.

I've done bone-in shorties before and they came out great (and were cooked longer) so I'm thinking the short ribs that Costco sells needs to be treated like a different cut of meat (maybe more like a roast) or maybe I shouldn't have rubbed them.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

wolfkeg
05-28-2013, 08:06 AM
were you cooking indirect?

jamus34
05-28-2013, 08:13 AM
were you cooking indirect?

They were on the WSM...so yes.

I had them on the bottom rack with a foiled but empty water pan.

Gore
05-28-2013, 08:27 AM
That's really strange. I've done the boneless from Costco many times and found they cooked pretty much like bone-in and they've come out great. I'm usually around 280*, but probably gone as high as 300*. I'm surprised they did that to you.

jamus34
05-28-2013, 08:34 AM
That's really strange. I've done the boneless from Costco many times and found they cooked pretty much like bone-in and they've come out great. I'm usually around 280*, but probably gone as high as 300*. I'm surprised they did that to you.

Yeah, I thought it was weird too. I did bone-in's that were smaller but were on for at least an hour longer than these and they were almost perfect.

Did I make a mistake using the mustard and rub?

Normally I just coat beef in EVOO and then the rub, this was the first time I went the mustard route.

lantern
05-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Have you temp checked your bottom grate when the smoker is at 325? The waterless pan may have transferred more heat than ya thought.

Just throwing darts here. Hate that your shorties went south.

Teltum
05-28-2013, 08:43 AM
I don't know what rubs you used... If they have a lot of white sugar in them and you run up to 300-325 for a long enough time that will scorch the white sugar, I had a little bit of white sugar go black on my memorial day cook. The Akron didn't want to settle in on a temp because of the rain so I opened the pit lid to add fatties and it ran away on me and I had to kill the flame and relight.

jamus34
05-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Have you temp checked your bottom grate when the smoker is at 325? The waterless pan may have transferred more heat than ya thought.

Just throwing darts here. Hate that your shorties went south.

That def. could be it...This was only the 4th cook I've had on the WSM since getting it so I imagine it's still not 100% broken in.

On my short list of things to get is a true electronic temp monitor (either a maverick or the ThermoWorks thermocouple). Also wondering if I should go the ceramic saucer direction but I didn't think that was needed.