PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey barrel planters

Higgledy
05-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Tractor Supply has oak whiskey barrel planters. Are these planters safe to use as smoker wood? Their interiors are charred so I think they were really used for whiskey...but who knows.

dwfisk
05-27-2013, 06:40 PM
I would be afraid the might be treated or sealed with something, if not probably OK, but that feels like pretty expensive way to cook?

el_matt
05-27-2013, 07:49 PM
As long as they're not sealed, you're golden. I agree with Dave, at first glance, seems like it might be a bit of a pricey way to go. I know Jack Daniels chunks are more expensive than regular oak chunks, so it might not be as expensive as we think. Lift a planter, guess it's weight, and compare that to the cost of whiskey barrel chunks. Don't forget that you need to factor in the cost of chunking the barrel. To me, it seems like a fun project.

Matt

tpope
05-27-2013, 09:15 PM
They are not sealed. They were used to make bourbon and were either not sound enough to use again or were surplus. They are white oak and will make wonderful smoking wood. Kinda of expensive though for using as wood.

Higgledy
05-28-2013, 09:15 AM
I estimate each planter to weigh 60lbs. the net wood wont be 60lbs because of the steel bands, but I don't know the weight of the steel bands. TS charges $36 for each planter. If you dont mind chunking the wood yourself, then this might be a cheaper than JD wood chunks.

cjs27410
05-28-2013, 10:08 AM
I used one of those for a planter. It turned into a termite hotel.

cdollar
05-28-2013, 11:02 AM
If it's safe enough to age whiskey in, it's safe enough to smoke with.

I'd say go for it.

Chuck

willbird
05-28-2013, 11:03 AM
I know when you drill holes in them it becomes apparent the wood is soaked with JD :-).

Bill