PDA

View Full Version : First rib cook on my YS640

iptman
05-26-2013, 09:39 AM
I joined Restaurant Depot this week and picked up a couple packs of back ribs for a family gathering today for Memorial Day. I only have one cook on the YS640 (pork shoulders) so I'm a little anxious this time around. I plan to start them at 11:00 at 235* for a ~5:00 eat time. They're kinda big so I'm going with the 3-2-1 method. I used Butt Rub on 3 and Stubbs Rub on 3. I like the Butt Rub but it's kinda peppery and I have a few people in the family averse to spicy foods. Here's the start of the day.

jasonjax
05-26-2013, 10:00 AM
I love how ribs turn out on my pellet poopers. (FEC-100 and PG-500) I imagine yours will be fantastic too. I've read lots of good reviews on the Yoder.

One thing I would recommend is planning on possibly cooking less time. At your planned temperature you may be good to go, but watch them so you don't over-cook. I like the bend/toothpick test for doneness on ribs.

Good luck and post some pics!

nucornhusker
05-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Sounds like a good cook for today. I've done ribs the last two weekends on my YS640 and they turned out great.

iptman
05-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Just un-foiled. Looks like the smaller ones are pretty much done but the big ones will still need the next hour.

Big George's BBQ
05-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Looks Great Looking forward to the finished pics

iptman
05-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Finished...

iptman
05-26-2013, 05:32 PM
The smaller racks ended up being more tender. I wonder if I should trim the bigger ones down next time.

nucornhusker
05-26-2013, 07:58 PM
I'd say the smaller ones were more tender or slightly overcooked because they were smaller or in a hotter spot in the cooker. Different cuts of meat, even of the same size, can take different amounts of time to cook. Test each piece of meat for doneness and pull when needed. Don't be surprised if some racks get done before others.

Looks great though!

JohnHB
05-26-2013, 08:05 PM
:clap2:I could handle four or six or maybe a rack!!!
John

JONESY
05-26-2013, 09:18 PM
I'd say the smaller ones were more tender or slightly overcooked because they were smaller or in a hotter spot in the cooker. Different cuts of meat, even of the same size, can take different amounts of time to cook. Test each piece of meat for doneness and pull when needed. Don't be surprised if some racks get done before others.

Looks great though!

Best advice you can get. I cooked 6 slabs of spares on my YS640 last weekend and was trying to get everything off at the same time, moving slabs that I thought were close to done to a what I thought was a cooler spot. Ended up chasing my tail and over cooking a couple slabs. Every cooker cooks differently and proves its best to let the meat tell you when its done.

How do like the YS640? Other than being a fuel hog, I cant love it and cant stop cooking on it. On second thought, maybe that's why I'm going through so much fuel.

Enjoy

nucornhusker
05-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Best advice you can get. I cooked 6 slabs of spares on my YS640 last weekend and was trying to get everything off at the same time, moving slabs that I thought were close to done to a what I thought was a cooler spot. Ended up chasing my tail and over cooking a couple slabs. Every cooker cooks differently and proves its best to let the meat tell you when its done.

How do like the YS640? Other than being a fuel hog, I cant love it and cant stop cooking on it. On second thought, maybe that's why I'm going through so much fuel.

EnjoyI would agree the big reason the YS640 is called a "fuel hog" is because their owners use them all the time.

Like saying a car is a fuel hog if you drive it for 8 hours a day.

JONESY
05-26-2013, 09:36 PM
I would agree the big reason the YS640 is called a "fuel hog" is because their owners use them all the time.

Like saying a car is a fuel hog if you drive it for 8 hours a day.

Norco, The amount of $hit I have cooked on this thing over the last two weeks is insane, I wish I had the time to post all of them.

nucornhusker
05-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Norco, The amount of $hit I have cooked on this thing over the last two weeks is insane, I wish I had the time to post all of them.
Glad to see you are liking your purchase!

I've had mine since Feb and it has cooked a lot of food. It's cooked more food in that time than most of my other cookers have and I've had some of them for years. And I cooked on them a lot! You just use it for more things that you don't normally use a different cooker for.

ajstrider
05-26-2013, 10:00 PM
I've done a lot of cooking on several pellet smokers, and beware they cook faster than more traditional cookers due to the convection flow from the fan. The Yoder 640 is an awesome smoker for sure, plenty of easy accessible room to cook in it, second rack adds an unbelievable cooking area size. They do take more pellets than other pellet smokers for some reason.

iptman
05-28-2013, 07:13 AM
So what do you do if some meet gets done faster? How do you keep the earlier meet hot and looking good if the later meet needs another hour?

jasonjax
05-28-2013, 07:24 AM
So what do you do if some meet gets done faster? How do you keep the earlier meet hot and looking good if the later meet needs another hour?

Foil, towels, pre-heated coolers.... lots of options. Worst-case, set your oven to the lowest setting (mine is 170) and hold in it for a while.

Smaller cuts like ribs are more difficult to "hold" than larger pieces of meat like shoulders and briskets. The large cuts hold safe temps for hours and hours.

nucornhusker
05-28-2013, 09:18 AM
^^^^^^this.