PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase a ceramic cooker. BGE cost?

Dwight Schrute
05-22-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm looking to purchase a ceramic grill. Will be used for smoking and grilling and I like the features that the ceramic styles offer. I've done a lot of research and as of now i'm leaning BGE. My question is this, what is a ballpark cost figure for a large egg and the necessary eggcessories? I will likely build a table for it so I doubt I will purchase the nest. Also, is there anything I should know before diving in? Any other underrated add-ons from current egg owners?

TIA

drbbq
05-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Make sure to get a platesetter, pizza stone, grill gripper, ash tool, starters, a couple bags of charcoal. It's gonna cost you around $1000, maybe a little less, and you'll have it for the rest of your life. You'll never be sorry.

Mark Warren
05-22-2013, 07:47 PM
you'll have it for the rest of your life. You'll never be sorry.

Unless you drop the lid like I did. I took mine apart every year for cleaning and one year after putting it back together wasn't happy with how the new gasket was seating to I loosened the lid to adjust it and it slid right out and hit the floor and shattered. :twitch: Just keep in mind they are not bulletproof.

CharredApron
05-22-2013, 07:48 PM
I got the Vision Pro Series III. It came with the plate setter, Volcanic stone, and base for $ 750.00 complete from the Home Depo. Including Shipping. I have cooked on it nearly everyday since it arrived in February. Except when we went away for two weeks on vacation. I have learned to make everything on this and if you check out my Throwdown Posts you will see. IMHO save the money and buy more meat!
Jed

Dwight Schrute
05-22-2013, 07:56 PM
it slid right out and hit the floor and shattered. :twitch: Just keep in mind they are not bulletproof.

Ouch. How much did they hit you up for the replacement?

Smoothsmoke
05-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Get the adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store.

robmill70
05-22-2013, 08:16 PM
second on the adjustable rig. it will come in handy

Plaid Palace
05-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Take a little longer look at the Kamado Joe.

Jon David
05-22-2013, 08:30 PM
+1 for the Kamado Joe. Better quality, IMO, thicker ceramic, I haven't dealt with BGEs customer service but KJ is the shizz, KJ is a cheaper price all around.

drbbq
05-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Yep you can buy a real Egg or something kind of like an Egg.

Zippylip
05-22-2013, 08:35 PM
If you're set on getting an Egg, I would suggest going to an Eggfest & getting a demo. It's cooked on once at the fest & for that you get a fairly substantial discount, & usually it's a package deal which includes the egg, a nest, ash tool & sometimes depending on the fest a free ticket to the event itself..., the prices vary but from what I've seen you get the whole shoot'n match for around $700 give or take, & it still includes the lifetime warranty.

Edit: regarding the other ceramic cookers, they're all good & all roughly the same to cook on; price & warranty service are important considerations

Ron_L
05-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Unless you drop the lid like I did. I took mine apart every year for cleaning and one year after putting it back together wasn't happy with how the new gasket was seating to I loosened the lid to adjust it and it slid right out and hit the floor and shattered. :twitch: Just keep in mind they are not bulletproof.

That sucks.

I'm curious as to why you took it apart every year for cleaning?

BTW, for Dwight Schrute...

A wise man once told me that a Big Green Egg may cost more than it should, but it is worth more than it costs.

I love all of mine! they are very versatile cookers!

Dwight Schrute
05-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Bump for the day crew. Any advice fellas? Ideas on cost?

yakdung
05-23-2013, 02:05 PM
I would not get fixated on one vendor and their magic marketing. Do your due diligence and check out all the players in the field. For me, at this place and time I would look into Primo and the Big Joe if the ceramic product fancies you.
Good luck,

Haveuseen1?
05-23-2013, 02:47 PM
For a large Egg, budge 1000.00. You may spend slightly less or slightly more dependinig on the eggcessories you cant live without. Primo runs about the same, KJ slightly less.

I have a Kamado Joe, since my wife hates the green color of the egg. The Red KJ fit better with the decor on the deck. I dont have one complaint about the KJ. My neighbor has an egg. I have cooked on his quite a few times. I dont have a complaint about it either. Pretty much most of the top tier ceramic cookers are the same. It will come down to your personal preference.

Good luck on whatever you decide, on and budget a grand.

Big George's BBQ
05-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Love my Large BGE It was definately a great purchace. See if there is an Egg Fest near you. You may be able to get a demo at reduced cost

echap
05-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Figured I add some BGE Pron to keep you going. Best thing I ever bought. Got mine off Craigslist last summer for 700, I don't care about the warranty.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/echapm4/IMAG0464.jpg

Big upgrade from my Chargriller that served me well for many years

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/echapm4/058.jpg

Zippylip
05-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Figured I add some BGE Pron to keep you going. Best thing I ever bought. Got mine off Craigslist last summer for 700, I don't care about the warranty.

The thing about the warranty is that it can be very important with ceramic cookers; while they don't rust, they are prone to developing heat fractures & issues with glazing. Certainly at a minimum the interior parts all fail with time. My original egg is 9 years old & in that time I've warrantied the base (a $400 part) due to the development of a fracture that travelled from the middle of the bottom to half way up the back. I've also warrantied the firebox, fire ring and metal grate, all of which disintigrated under the heat & stress of countless cooks, many of which were high temp (another $100 or more worth of stuff). Mine is a very common tale with these cookers, so I would be very wary of buying one without a warranty unless you get it very very cheap. By the way in 2004 I paid $600 for the egg brand new at a dealer, so one more batch of interior parts (which I'll probably need in a few more years) & I'll have gotten the equivalent of my original purchase price in warranty claims.

There is no way I'd fork over a grand for an egg or its equivalent either, not with all the eggfests going on; they've become so popular & common they are all over the country, seems like there's one every weekend going on somewhere. It is certainly a better way to go if the drive is within reason because you can generally get that same Craig's List type price but rather than getting a warranty-les egg of undetermined age you get a brand new egg that's been cooked on once with the life time warranty. I suspect that warranty will cease to be life time at some point, but for now that's what it still is as far as I know.

swamprb
05-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Eggfest Demo Eggs are the best deal around. I got one of mine that way. Accessories are usually discounted as well. I'll be cooking and doing demos for the 7th consecutive year June 8th in Kent, WA.

Just when you think you've seen it all on a Big Green Egg somebody outdoes themselves at the Eggfests!

Big George's BBQ
05-24-2013, 05:38 AM
If planning to buy at the Eggfest tell them you want one in advance A lot of times they are promised before the feast

Dex
05-24-2013, 07:22 AM
I am not saying that other cookers aren't just as good, but if you are wanting a BGE, get a BGE. You will not not be disappointed.

Lots of fun toys that are available for it, so start saving your pennies! Here is a picture of my setup.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/ndexter/IMG_20130504_091832_973-1.jpg

stl-rich
05-24-2013, 07:41 AM
I don't know a lot about Ceramic Cookers but I do know that buying quality only hurts at first - down the road you will enjoy the quality

OTOH I bought a metal Akorn from Amazon (at an amazing price) and I am a happy camper but I don't know that it will out live me.

frognot
05-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Dex, that's an awesome table!

Make sure to get a platesetter, pizza stone, grill gripper, ash tool, starters, a couple bags of charcoal. It's gonna cost you around $1000, maybe a little less, and you'll have it for the rest of your life. You'll never be sorry.

I blame this guy for "making" me want an Egg . . .

and someday hope to buy him a drink & thank him in person.

Trust him, he's a Doctor of BBQ.

tasterner
05-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Also check out Primo, another great option that's made in the USA.

Dwight Schrute
05-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Much appreciated, guys. Does anyone know if there are any eggfests coming up in Louisiana, Mississippi, or South Alabama?

drbbq
05-24-2013, 01:36 PM
How about Birmingham? I don't know anything about this but here's a link. I think you're going to have to call them about a demo Egg. http://instagift.com/eastersealsofbirmingham/

Bronxbbq
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
How about the Vision ? Bought mine from Costco for $569. I looked at the egg and while it nice the cost kept me away.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/bobmenning/null_zpsfbb232af.jpg (http://s90.photobucket.com/user/bobmenning/media/null_zpsfbb232af.jpg.html)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/bobmenning/4938675be2702f72c5144dbf1010200d_zpsf1056868.jpg (http://s90.photobucket.com/user/bobmenning/media/4938675be2702f72c5144dbf1010200d_zpsf1056868.jpg.h tml)

fsmith
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Adjustable rig and a Digi-Q... The two best friends your egg will ever have.

Zippylip
05-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Much appreciated, guys. Does anyone know if there are any eggfests coming up in Louisiana, Mississippi, or South Alabama?

I don't know the answer to that question, but there was one in Georgia just last weekend. I lifted the below statement from the website just to give you an idea of how these things are structured at eggfests. As you can see at this particular event the Large Egg package included a ticket to the event, the egg and the egg nest {which is a wheeled base the egg sits in} all for $709; if you opted out of the nest the price was $609 (you would do that if you plan on building a table or some other permanent structure to put it in). The fests themselves are fun, you get to spend the day watching people cooking all sorts of things while you stuff your face beyond all that is holy. I've been to a bunch of them over the years though I've never taken advantage of a demo egg deal:

Demo Egg Pricing for the Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2013.

Demo Egg packages supplied by Hiawassee Hardware on Hwy 76 E/139 Main Street North, Hiawassee, GA 30546. Demo Eggs can be pre-ordered for the Georgia Mountain Eggfest by calling Brenda McKinney at Hiawassee Hardware, 706-896-3617.

Purchase of a demo egg entitles you to one free registration ticket, either cook or taster. All sales are final. No refunds.

Each package will include : a Big Green Egg, Tel-Tru External Temperature Gauge, Ceramic Damper Top, Dual Function Metal Top, Stainless Steel Mesh Draft Door, and Egg Nest.

All Big Green Accessories will be available at a 10% discount.

All demo eggs must be picked up at the eggfest by 5:00 PM on May 18, 2013. There will be staff members on site to help you load and secure your egg.

Egg packages are not ordered as part of this registration process.

Large EGG®
Specifications:
- Grid Diameter: 18.25in/ 46 cm
- Cooking Area: 262sq in /
1688 sq cm

The Large EGG can cook:
- 20-pound turkey
- 12 burgers
- 6 chickens vertically
- 8 Steaks
- 7 racks of ribs vertically

$709.00 (Demo Package)
$609.00 (No Egg Nest)

$1007.95 (MSRP Package)

Savings ($294.95)

BugCollector
05-25-2013, 10:32 PM
I missed the Eggfest in Austin by 2 days. Dang. So I had the pleasure of paying around 1030.00 for mine. I thought about that with a little buyers remorse for a few days. Then I started cooking on it. The food was better. Cooked things I've done MANY times on my offset log burner. Dang, the egg beat it. Wings are plump and juicy. Now I loved them on the offset, but they weren't plump. Chicken (spatchcocked) fantastic. Best ribs I've ever made, by far. Tonight I'm starting my first overnight. A brisket. I can hardly wait. Do I mind the price? Not any more. I haven't thought about it for a week. I'm also bbqing far more than I used to. The egg is so easy to get started and set for temp. I'm having a great time with mine.

Smoothsmoke
05-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Just get the adjustable rig man.

liv4jpn
05-25-2013, 11:41 PM
lovin my primo xl oval design built in good ole US of A !!!!!!!

SmokenQ
05-26-2013, 05:03 AM
I sure love our Akorn purchased from Lowes. If and when it ever needs replaced, I'd probably get another. Having said that, the BGE are nice to have, but the kamado style grills/smokers are the way to go because of their diversity in cooking options! Good luck!

stl-rich
05-26-2013, 05:03 PM
The Weber folks say that you should pay more at first for a Weber than enjoy the goodness that is included with each and every Weber. I can buy that idea so I have several Webers. I don't think that the Weber is comparable to a Kamado, but a first class Kamado is just so much higher than the Akorn I just can't see spending the $$$ for a BGE or a Primo.

Such is life. :whoo:

eribac
05-27-2013, 03:16 PM
How about the Vision ? Bought mine from Costco for $569. I looked at the egg and while it nice the cost kept me away.

I received my annual 2% cash back from Costco recently and decided to put towards the purchase of a Vision Kamado. Got the wife approval this morning, loaded up the truck and drove 30 miles to my nearest Costco, only to find out that they were closed for Memorial Day. :doh:

Oh well, maybe I'll have by next weekend!

--eric

Riskyguy
05-27-2013, 11:30 PM
I suggest that you take a serious look at the Egg or another ceramic cooker. I looked at the Costco Vision cooker and could not believe how light weight it was compared to the Egg. The Vision may be OK but I have to think there is a reason that the Vision is so cheap compared to an Egg or the Kamado Joe. I suggest buying quality if you can afford it.

gouldina
05-28-2013, 12:12 AM
I suggest that you take a serious look at the Egg or another ceramic cooker. I looked at the Costco Vision cooker and could not believe how light weight it was compared to the Egg. The Vision may be OK but I have to think there is a reason that the Vision is so cheap compared to an Egg or the Kamado Joe. I suggest buying quality if you can afford it.

Well I've just taken delivery of a vision on Saturday and lightweight is not the word I'd use. It weighs a ton! It seems really well made to me as well. I had no problems with assembly or anything apart from having to lift it onto the stand which nearly broke my back :grin:

RemoGaggi
05-28-2013, 02:11 AM
I sold my BGE as I thought it was over rated. Since selling my egg, I've acquired a Char-griller Akorn, Traeger 070 pellet smoker, made an UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker), and also a mini WSM, I just put together today. The Akorn is 1/3 of the price of and egg and I actually think it does a better overall job than the egg. No way would I spend $1,000 on an egg. For that price you could get and Akorn and a Traeger Pellet smoker and you'd be covered to cook just about anything.

Grain Belt
05-28-2013, 02:27 AM
I received my annual 2% cash back from Costco recently and decided to put towards the purchase of a Vision Kamado. Got the wife approval this morning, loaded up the truck and drove 30 miles to my nearest Costco, only to find out that they were closed for Memorial Day. :doh:

Oh well, maybe I'll have by next weekend!

--eric

Saw a barely used vision on the Mpls. craigslist recently. Check it out. Maybe you could deal a bit. I think the story was the guy's homeowners association won't allow charcoal.

Riskyguy
05-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Well I've just taken delivery of a vision on Saturday and lightweight is not the word I'd use. It weighs a ton! It seems really well made to me as well. I had no problems with assembly or anything apart from having to lift it onto the stand which nearly broke my back :grin:

That is good to hear. The one that I looked at last weekend was the version 2 and comparing the weight of the lid, it was relatively less hefty than the egg. I suggest that the original poster take a hands on look at both and then decide if the egg is worth the extra money or not. It may not be!

shirknwrk
05-28-2013, 09:23 AM
From a BGE owner... Get the Kamado Joe... Same quality and better price. Adjustable rig and spider with 13" pizza stone for heat deflector from Ceramic Grill Store (KJ may have their owne deflector set up, too).

eribac
05-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the feedback!

I was planning on purchasing the Vision from Costco because I have a more than half the cost in my rebate check. So my out of pocket cost will be about $200 if I purchase from Costco.

I will take a much closer inspection before I purchase. I think I do know what to look for, as I used to own a Primo Jr. so I am familiar with Komado style cookers.

--eric

Redleg71
05-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Remember when you were a kid and you had that one friend whose parents always bought generic cereal with the fake cartoon charachters.

DONT BE THAT GUY!!!!!

curly1967
05-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Just get the adjustable rig man.

do you have the rig extender with sliding grid? I've heard they don't fit the KJ.

Smoothsmoke
05-28-2013, 10:35 AM
do you have the rig extender with sliding grid? I've heard they don't fit the KJ.

The adjustable rig fits the Classic Joe. Tom at CGS said he is currently designing one to fit the Big Joe.

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/kamado-joe/

kolky
05-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Curious why you are moving away from the Primo?

I have a Primo XL and love the configuration options though I will say that it doesn't seem to look quite as nice after a few years as my dad's Egg does.

Smoothsmoke
05-28-2013, 01:28 PM
From a BGE owner... Get the Kamado Joe... Same quality and better price. Adjustable rig and spider with 13" pizza stone for heat deflector from Ceramic Grill Store (KJ may have their owne deflector set up, too).

Yup, sold my egg, upgraded to Kamado Joe. :cool:

eribac
05-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Curious why you are moving away from the Primo?

I have a Primo XL and love the configuration options though I will say that it doesn't seem to look quite as nice after a few years as my dad's Egg does.

I had the Primo Jr, and I simply found it too small for needs. A co-worker of mine won it and I purchased it from him. After a year of fighting its size limitations I decided to sell it and go back to my Performer and UDS.

Now two years after selling it, I find myself wanting another kamado style cooker. I am just sure that I want to spend $1200+ for a Primo XL or BGE.

Bily Lovec
05-29-2013, 06:21 AM
I did the same research a few years back and ended up w/a primo XL.
the amount of cooking surface compared to the BGE plus the fact the BGE is made in mexico now sealed the deal for me.

drbbq
05-29-2013, 06:31 AM
The BGE has always been made in Mexico. For 30+ years. At a giant tile factory where they make really good ceramics.