PDA

View Full Version : smoked pork butt on WSM

bwoodsmokin
05-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Here is the info and some pictures of how I smoked this pork butt.
This is my second time. The first time I didn't have a fire ring or a mounted temp gauge and it had to be finished in the oven. This time I was prepared and it came out very well. Please let me know if there is something you guys would try different. I was very happy with the finished product but I don't have much to compare it to.

5lb pork butt

WSM 18.5" smoker
chimney starter
minion method
used kbb charcoal
used 4 pieces of apple wood chunks
filled water bowl 3/4 and put two cans of sprite in as well

covered butt in mustard for rub
rub ingredients:
garlic salt
black pepper
cayenne pepper
paprika
brown sugar

threw butt on the smoker at 7:30am with temperature at 260

temperature stayed between 250-290 averaging about 260

had to replenish charcoal at 1:30pm and refilled water bowl with just water

hit 150-160 stall at about 2:30pm

checked internal temp at 3:30pm and it was 175

checked internal temp at 5:00pm and it was 192

checked internal temp at 5:30pm (10 hour mark) and it was 200 (temp gauge went in like butter

at 5:30pm i took the butt off, wrapped it in foil and then wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cooler

at 6:15pm i took butt out and pulled it.

It came out very well and I was very pleased.

if anyone has any recommendations for my next one that would be great.

Thanks!

Mark Warren
05-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Looks Great - Man do you ever get any rain there? The ground is so dry.

bwoodsmokin
05-19-2013, 09:57 PM
haha yes i do get rain. This home was just built and i did not have the backyard landscaped. The backyard was just graded and left alone. I have only been here for 2 1/2 months and it has already rained a couple times.

1911Ron
05-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Butt looks good. First ditch the water in the pan, foil it for easy clean up.
Are you filling the fire ring? Fill it and put your wood chunks in it. Every thing else sounds about right.

rocky2298
05-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Perfect looking Butt! I'm with Ron and foil. I foil the water pan on bottom and also put inside the water pan a foiled clay saucer. I use lump and fill the charcoal ring up full and tight, then I turn the weber chimney lighter upside down and fill it around 3/4's full and get them blazing and then dump them on the lump in the middle.

westy
05-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Looks great. Youre 30 minutes away from me, the next cook I recommend you run some over! Okay..............I'll come get it......

Harbormaster
05-20-2013, 05:52 AM
It came out very well and I was very pleased.

if anyone has any recommendations for my next one that would be great.

Since you liked what you produced on this cook, and recorded it really well, I'd recommend you keep doing what you're doing.

(But I'd switch from KBB. It is not the ideal fuel for use in the WSM, I don't care what Weber says.)

FremontSmoke
05-20-2013, 09:36 AM
That looks great. If you like it and the rest of the people eating like it, It's all good. Nice smoke.

va_connoisseur
05-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Looks good. I would ditch the water in the pan, just foil and let it ride.

all about the que
05-20-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm new to this site and I have a WSM as well. Why are some of y'all recommending no water in the water pan? Just curious

Harbormaster
05-20-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm new to this site and I have a WSM as well. Why are some of y'all recommending no water in the water pan? Just curious
The water is there for a heat sink, nothing more.
It takes energy to keep the water hot, energy that could be used to cook your food.
By utilizing a dry foiled pan, or a foiled clay flower pot base, or an airspace between the pan and a layer of foil, or sand is that you get the same results as if you used water but use less fuel. Cleanup is easier too.

Teamfour
05-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Looks great!

Smoothsmoke
05-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Oh man that looks great!

Big M1ke
05-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Damn that looks good!

Sauce Dog
05-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Nice work! +1 on the foil!

diehardjhawk
05-22-2013, 09:52 AM
I think I'm going to do the same thing this weekend....when you placed the foil/towel wrapped butt in the cooler is it just empty or is it chilled?

Maybe this is a rookie question but I just got my first WSM last weekend for my bday and I'm going to fire it up for the first time after seasoning it this weekend

Big George's BBQ
05-22-2013, 09:54 AM
That looks Great

El Ropo
05-22-2013, 09:56 AM
I think I'm going to do the same thing this weekend....when you placed the foil/towel wrapped butt in the cooler is it just empty or is it chilled?

Maybe this is a rookie question but I just got my first WSM last weekend for my bday and I'm going to fire it up for the first time after seasoning it this weekend

The purpose of FTC (foil towel cooler) is to keep the meat at a safe temp while allowing it to relax and retain more moisture. So no, you don't want to chill the ice chest. In fact, many people will dump hot water in their cooler to pre warm it. The cooler is simply an insulated holding box.