PDA

View Full Version : smoking with mesquite lump (not wood)

LT72884
05-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Ello everyone. Has anyone of you brethren smoked with mesquit lump charcoal? Not mesquit wood chunks but mesquit charcoal? I have tons of it and im hoping the mesquit charcoal burns smooth and clean. I will burry some apple chunks into the mesquit lump and i hope that will taste good.

Thanks

ButtBurner
05-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Ello everyone. Has anyone of you brethren smoked with mesquit lump charcoal? Not mesquit wood chunks but mesquit charcoal? I have tons of it and im hoping the mesquit charcoal burns smooth and clean. I will burry some apple chunks into the mesquit lump and i hope that will taste good.

Thanks

its fine

I just burned through a 40 lb bag of Lazzari Mesquite.

Worked real nice.

stl-rich
05-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Best of the West Mesquite Lump Sam's Club 20 pounds $9

LT72884
05-19-2013, 06:49 PM
its fine

I just burned through a 40 lb bag of Lazzari Mesquite.

Worked real nice. nice, what did you smoke? What flavor wood did you use?

Thanks

mtbchip
05-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Leaves an unpleasant flavor on food in my opinion. Won't do that again.

LT72884
05-19-2013, 07:56 PM
What brand of lump did you use?

Mark Warren
05-19-2013, 08:19 PM
I get 40 pound bags of Lazzari Mesquite Lump at cash & carry for $13.95 everyday year round price. It is all I use other than adding fruit-wood chunks for flavor when i need it. I love the smoke I get from it.

LT72884
05-19-2013, 11:01 PM
I get 40 pound bags of Lazzari Mesquite Lump at cash & carry for $13.95 everyday year round price. It is all I use other than adding fruit-wood chunks for flavor when i need it. I love the smoke I get from it.
Your a fan of the tux penguin eh? Open source is cool. Linux is good at what it does. Anyway so the mesquit lump dont give you a twang flavor? Does cash and cary have an online store that they can ship to store for free?

thansk

Texas Turtle
05-20-2013, 07:53 AM
I like the flavor that mesquite gives, so I use it with some regularity in my big offset. When I had an ECB I used B&B mesquite partly because it burns real hot and made it easier to keep the temps up in that leaky thing. Nowadays I usually mix it half and half with RO or B&B oak lump because in the better cooker it makes it get too hot. Tried it in the WSM half & half with KBB and it worked okay.

wormraper
05-20-2013, 09:12 AM
I use El Diablo mesquite chunk all the time and don't find that it really imparts any mesquite flavor. always have to add wood chips/chunks to the burn to get any mesquite flavor

ButtBurner
05-20-2013, 09:19 AM
I use El Diablo mesquite chunk all the time and don't find that it really imparts any mesquite flavor. always have to add wood chips/chunks to the burn to get any mesquite flavor

I agree. Same with the Lazzari. You can smell it when first lighting it but after that you dont

just burns hot! that much I know

deepsouth
05-20-2013, 09:22 AM

i'm not sure the brand i used, but this is my experience as well.

DriverWild
05-20-2013, 10:44 AM
I like to cook with mesquite on the grill, especially hnf steaks. I don't like to use it when cooking low and slow, too bitter for my taste.

RW
05-20-2013, 01:19 PM
I use Viva Pancho mesquite lump (30 lbs/$14, made in Mexico) almost all of the time. Nice pieces from branches that crackle and pop when I fire it up, but it burns nice and hot.
And I don't get a mesquite smell or flavor during my cooks. Rendering the mesquite trees into charcoal takes care of that.

MS2SB
05-20-2013, 01:51 PM
I use it for high heat grilling but wouldn't do anything low & slow with it. It's got a very strong flavor which is good on quickly cooked foods but is too pronounced on longer cooks.

Bludawg
05-20-2013, 01:52 PM
I don't buy the flavor thing! Once wood is turned to Char or Carbonized all the Flavor producing elements are gone it is just Carbon. You can make lump out of Cedar or Pine I have and I'll bet you anything you wont to tell the difference between it or Oak or Hickory or Locust or any other wood. Carbon is Carbon.

ssv3
05-20-2013, 02:00 PM
I've smoked ribs, butts, brisket, chicken, ham etc with mesquite and teh smoke flavor overpowers the food. I've tried all brands I can get my hands on and essentialy the flavor is just too strong. I've tried Lazzari, Sonora, Siesta and a few other ones available around here with the same results. I just stick to Royal oak for smoking exclusively. Sometimes if the cook is not going to long I'll mix in some mesquite with B&B or RO lump. I love the fact that mesquite is dense and burns hot but the flavor is too strong for smoking. For grilling though I use straight mesquite.

Carbon
05-20-2013, 02:12 PM
I like using mesquite lump because its cheap and use them mostly for grilling. 40 lb bags for $10.

Stoke&Smoke
05-20-2013, 03:41 PM
I believe it was Dr. BBQ who said in one of his books that mesquite tastes like the devils butt crack.

I've always taken him at his word and avoided it!:icon_shy

ButtBurner
05-20-2013, 04:09 PM
I believe it was Dr. BBQ who said in one of his books that mesquite tastes like the devils butt crack.

I've always taken him at his word and avoided it!:icon_shy

Hmm

strange thing to admit.

I am getting 3 steaks ready to throw on the buttcrack now!

LT72884
05-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Dang. this is one of those "you gotta try it yourself things". Haha. Looks like im gonna have to try it in the uds. Ill smoke a butt with it. Now i just have to break up the charcoal. Its from mexico and it is full sized logs in the bag. Bout the same size as my weber chimney. Haha.

deguerre
05-20-2013, 04:29 PM
I don't buy the flavor thing! Once wood is turned to Char or Carbonized all the Flavor producing elements are gone it is just Carbon. You can make lump out of Cedar or Pine I have and I'll bet you anything you wont to tell the difference between it or Oak or Hickory or Locust or any other wood. Carbon is Carbon.

I imagine some aromatics may still remain, but as you said, carbon is carbon. I always use chunks for flavor with lump though so to be honest I don't have a comparison.

LT72884
05-20-2013, 10:44 PM
I don't buy the flavor thing! Once wood is turned to Char or Carbonized all the Flavor producing elements are gone it is just Carbon. You can make lump out of Cedar or Pine I have and I'll bet you anything you wont to tell the difference between it or Oak or Hickory or Locust or any other wood. Carbon is Carbon. thats true. I know when i have made charcoal, you bun off 85% or so of the volitile charactoristics of the wood. Its close to 90% carbon. But ill see if i can find an equition in my chem lab that will show much is left. Haha. Maybe its an emotional thing, people have the belief that it will taste like the devils buttcrack so therefor it does. Hahaha. Jkjkjk. Ill do some research.

LT72884
05-21-2013, 12:33 PM
i just posted the question to my physics and chem buddies to see how the whole thing works. Plus it keeps me busy at work to look up these dang equations. haha.

tahnsk for all the info guys

ButtBurner
05-21-2013, 12:42 PM
i just posted the question to my physics and chem buddies to see how the whole thing works. Plus it keeps me busy at work to look up these dang equations. haha.

tahnsk for all the info guys

Interesting

but if carbon is just carbon, why do they use hardwood for charcoal? Why not pine or other softwoods, or just the cheapest stuff they can find?

its just carbon afterall

I think there is more to it than that but I dont know

LT72884
05-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Interesting

but if carbon is just carbon, why do they use hardwood for charcoal? Why not pine or other softwoods, or just the cheapest stuff they can find?

its just carbon afterall

I think there is more to it than that but I dont know
i agree with you. I have noticed though, posts from other forums of people using pine wood and once it hits ember stage, cooking was fine. I know that 85% of the volatile compounds are burned off, leaving about 15-20% of its orginal composistion. however, thats what im researching, how much of lump is really pure carbon. I would say 85% or more, but im not sure. I think the reason they dont make pine charcoal, we would be like WTF is this about. the producers are trying to keep there customers happy, maybe people would think its to weird to cook with pine. its like introducing the electric car. haha

EDIT:

The Properties
Since Charcoal (http://www.customcharcoal.com/charcoal-faqs.html) is pure wood carbon, it weights much less than its original state. It is also free of tars (which can contain carcinogenic compounds, like benzo-a-pyrene). Perhaps only traces of volatile components can be found in charcoal. Definitely not enough to alarm nutritionist nor scientist. Unlike Charcoal (http://www.customcharcoal.com/charcoal-faqs.html) Briquettes, which holds different chemicals, natural charcoal (http://www.customcharcoal.com/oak-lump-charcoal.html) is merely 100% carbon.

http://www.customcharcoal.com/charcoal-faqs.html

---------------

Now thats interesting. good to know though. Now its all about how good the QA team at the manufacturing plant is to make sure all pieces of wood are carbonized. haha

ButtBurner
05-21-2013, 12:53 PM
i agree with you. I have noticed though, posts from other forums of people using pine wood and once it hits ember stage, cooking was fine. I know that 85% of the volatile compounds are burned off, leaving about 15-20% of its orginal composistion. however, thats what im researching, how much of lump is really pure carbon. I would say 85% or more, but im not sure. I think the reason they dont make pine charcoal, we would be like WTF is this about. the producers are trying to keep there customers happy, maybe people would think its to weird to cook with pine. its like introducing the electric car. haha

well I can tell you that pine burns a lot faster than oak does.

I dont think carbon is carbon. I think there is a difference.

LT72884
05-21-2013, 01:03 PM
well I can tell you that pine burns a lot faster than oak does.

I dont think carbon is carbon. I think there is a difference.

pine burns way fast. so many sites say diff things. im gonna just try mesquite hjaha

deepsouth
05-21-2013, 01:08 PM
I think there is a difference.

i agree, at least with the taste part. my dad does bbq chicken all the time and he ususally uses cowboy or royal oak and this past time he used 100% mesquite hardwood lump and it was noticable, very noticable.

wormraper
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
i agree, at least with the taste part. my dad does bbq chicken all the time and he ususally uses cowboy or royal oak and this past time he used 100% mesquite hardwood lump and it was noticable, very noticable.

it may depend on the brand. I can switch between Royal oak, KBB and El Diablo mesquite and taste pretty much 0 difference

deepsouth
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
it may depend on the brand. I can switch between Royal oak, KBB and El Diablo mesquite and taste pretty much 0 difference

absolutely possible.

jonmhenderson
05-21-2013, 02:45 PM
I've cooked Cooper's style (in my Cooper's style pit) many times with mesquite burned down to coals, mesquite lump charcoal, live oak coals, red oak coals, hickory coals, and pecan coals. I grew up on it, but Mesquite tastes different than all the others, and to me, better. To me, Mesquite is essential to the flavor profile of direct style Llano Texas style cooking. The coals get hotter than the other woods and burn longer than all of them except live oak.