PDA

View Full Version : Slow cooking on the Kettle

1911Ron
05-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Recently i have seen a few threads on slow cooking on a kettle, most have questions on how to do it or have struggled and gotten frustrated with temp controls. I have done a spatchcocked chicken using a technique called the snake method, now there are many variations to this, some run two rows of charcoal with a third row on top all the way around, with wood chunks right on top of the charcoal.

The variation i use is two semi-circle rows (( )) with a third row on top with wood chunks spread out on top. I will light one side on the bottom and the other side on the top so the will burn either clockwise or counter clockwise, i also put a aluminum foil tray with water in it to help control temps and add some moisture.

I leave the top and bottom vents open and will light about 8-10 briqs and split them up between the two sides, close it up and let it come up in temp,(not sure what the temp was but it took about an hour or so to cook) the only time i opened the lid was to temp the chicken when it got close to being done, no muss no fuss:mrgreen: I also did some rib tips this way, the only difference was i put my seceret recipe beans in the foil pan.
The photos below show my setup, in progress and finished product
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s368/1911Ron/Snakesetup.jpg
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s368/1911Ron/002_zps1e814dd0.jpg
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s368/1911Ron/003_zps6e3f4bc2.jpg
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s368/1911Ron/004_zpse84caecb.jpg
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s368/1911Ron/007_zpsc3527518.jpg
Enjoy!:biggrin1:

ajstrider
05-19-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm going to dedicate some time to learning to cook low and slow on my kettle grills now. Not that I need to, but it seems like a challenge.

BBQinMI
05-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Great tutorial. Now that I have an Akorn i don't us my kettle except when camping but they sure do a great job

1911Ron
05-19-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm going to dedicate some time to learning to cook low and slow on my kettle grills now. Not that I need to, but it seems like a challenge.
This was my first attempt at doing it this way and it turned out great and i am nowhere near an expert:mrgreen: It is very easy to do, just don't over think it!

J'ville Grill
05-19-2013, 06:53 PM
That's basically te same way I do it when I want to cook a single rack of ribs. The only real difference is I use the Weber chacoal baskets.

Fake Farmer
05-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Ron,

I really like the looks of this. How long of a cook time did you get out of that "2-headed Snake" for the spatchcock? There...I named it for you! Ha

I haven't used it, but hear that a full snake can get you a low and slow cook for brisket ect.

wormraper
05-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Ron,

I really like the looks of this. How long of a cook time did you get out of that "2-headed Snake" for the spatchcock? There...I named it for you! Ha

I haven't used it, but hear that a full snake can get you a low and slow cook for brisket ect.

I've done 12 + hours on a full snake before. works like a charm and controlling temperatures is about as easy as knowing HOW MUCH initial charcoal to light and your vent adjustments.

1911Ron
05-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Ron,

I took the chicken off after about an hour and a half, probably had about another half hour or so left of fuel at full temp.

I did three birds at once (gotta love having a bunch of kettles:biggrin1:) two almost ran out the third had more left over, it was sitting in a different direction so the breeze had an effect on burn time.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s368/1911Ron/001_zpsac10c3a2.jpg

Oink Oink
05-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks for posting this.

I have been using the snake for past 2-3 years with pretty good results. I have also experimented with fire bricks/baskets and banking the coals to one or two sides. I've come to the conclusion that if I'm going to do a minion style burn the snake makes it easier to control the temps... For hotter cooks I have just made a fatter snake. I have thought about lighting a snake in the middle so it could burn both direction but I have never tried it. I think I will give the 'two headed' snake a try for a hotter cook. :thumb:

Oink Oink
05-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Oh yeah, do you ever use lump? I have recently started experimenting with lump for longer cooks. I am curious as to how people 'pack' the lump in a kettle snake type set up.

1911Ron
05-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Oh yeah, do you ever use lump? I have recently started experimenting with lump for longer cooks. I am curious as to how people 'pack' the lump in a kettle snake type set up.
I have not tried lump in the kettle, in my drum yes.

If you had a full circle snake, light it in one spot i guess?

For longer cooks i think another setup might work better, who knows?

twells427
05-20-2013, 11:21 AM
I use my round charcoal basket out of my UDS and set it in my Weber kettle, pour charcoal around it with a couple fist size pieces of wood mixed in and get around 12 hours of burn with it.

twells427
05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
I use my round charcoal basket out of my UDS and set it in my Weber kettle, pour charcoal around it with a couple fist size pieces of wood mixed in and get around 12 hours of burn with it.

mbshop
05-20-2013, 03:11 PM
i may try this one day. but a critical thing to me for steady cooking is to not allow fresh air to mix with the heated air. thus my mantra of foiling over the spaces of the coal grate not being used for coals.

1911Ron
05-20-2013, 08:23 PM
i may try this one day. but a critical thing to me for steady cooking is to not allow fresh air to mix with the heated air. thus my mantra of foiling over the spaces of the coal grate not being used for coals.
Would using a foil pan help that, or does it not do enough?