PDA

View Full Version : MAYO anyone?

boiler93
05-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Back during college while taking a food science class the head chef turned me on to rubbing my ribs with my favorite rub and then spreading a tablespoon of mayo all over the ribs and I've been doing it ever since. I know a lot people use mustard but i was just wondering if anyone has tried mayo?? Too late for the prep pics but I have 3 slabs going now and will post pics here directly.

boiler93
05-19-2013, 02:22 PM
First prone 2.5 hrs in.
http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u627/puboiler93/photocopy9_zps7c93278d.jpg (http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/puboiler93/media/photocopy9_zps7c93278d.jpg.html)

Bludawg
05-19-2013, 02:25 PM
I've done it on Chicken with some Mrs dash IIRC it worked pretty good, Hmmm.... I might have to do that again

Gilstarr
05-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Mayo is eggs and oil... I've made chocolate cakes with Duke's Mayo.. so why not, it's an idea I hadn't thought about. . :thumb:

BobM
05-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Mayo, interesting. I have used mustard, but never considered mayo. :idea:

boiler93
05-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Mayo is eggs and oil... I've made chocolate cakes with Duke's Mayo.. so why not, it's an idea I hadn't thought about. . :thumb:

Eggs, oil, and vinegar the ultimate tenderizer.

mbshop
05-19-2013, 04:16 PM
for sure there is no reason it wouldn't work. wife is allergic to eggs so i gotta stick with mustard most of the times. but will try it on some pork next time.

whodeyQ
05-19-2013, 05:11 PM
You put the rub on before the mayo?

bbqbull
05-19-2013, 05:12 PM
We rub our fish with mayo. Outstanding!!!

LMAJ
05-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Love mayo so why not?

rcbaughn
05-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Would the egg part in mayo help browning too like it does with an egg wash on bread? It gives my hamburger buns a nice thick crust so would it do that with meat and mayo?

boiler93
05-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Been tending to the finished producthttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u627/puboiler93/photocopy10_zps0b1e97d0.jpg (http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/puboiler93/media/photocopy10_zps0b1e97d0.jpg.html)http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u627/puboiler93/photocopy11_zpsa90f7299.jpg (http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/puboiler93/media/photocopy11_zpsa90f7299.jpg.html)

ajstrider
05-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Great idea, I will give it a try. I am always searching for more delicious ways to cook!

boiler93
05-19-2013, 06:52 PM
You put the rub on before the mayo?

I put the rub on first and then rub the mayo in but can't see why you couldn't reverse the steps

boiler93
05-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Would the egg part in mayo help browning too like it does with an egg wash on bread? It gives my hamburger buns a nice thick crust so would it do that with meat and mayo?

Dont see a noticeable color change in the browning but mayo tastes great and its an excellent tenderizer.

JohnHB
05-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Finished product looks great.
Just for an idea, standard mayo cracks when heated but Japanese mayo doesn't. Maybe it is a better idea to use Japanese mayo.
John

boiler93
05-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Never heard of japanese mayo but i will look for it, does it have a similar taste?

JohnHB
05-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Never heard of japanese mayo but i will look for it, does it have a similar taste?

Yes it does. We just buy it at a Japanese supermarket. A friend introduce me to it on oysters. I normally eat oysters natural. He served them with a little Japanese mayo to which had been added a small amount of a mild blue cheese. They were then warmed under a salamander. A great success. If one uses our usual off the shelf mayo the topping splits!!
John

buccaneer
05-19-2013, 07:30 PM
http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2008_03_06-Kewpie.jpg (http://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-kewpie-mayonnaise-44639)

JohnHB
05-19-2013, 07:35 PM

Bucc shows one of the popular brands. Check out Wikipedia for further info (link below).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayonnaise

John

Richard_
05-19-2013, 07:39 PM
going to try this on a pork butt

buccaneer
05-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Tuna+Kewpie mayp, sliced shallots, white pepper, swiss/gruyere etc cheese toasted/grilled sammie....oh lordie...

:bolt: to make one

4uweque
05-19-2013, 10:01 PM
I know a once popular BBQ joint here in Memphis used to rub their butts with Mayo, I've never tried it myself but they used it for years.

jmoney7269
05-19-2013, 10:07 PM
We do it with our comp chicken. Learned it from my buddy Jason. Basically the same thing as olive oil. Since some mayo is seasoned more than others, it will make your food saltier.

ChuckieD
05-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Real mayo, not Miracle Whip, Is that right??

westy
05-20-2013, 01:22 AM
I rub my butt with mayo, and you can see the crack when heated........dont go away...looking for a pic...

buccaneer
05-20-2013, 01:33 AM
I rub my butt with mayo, and you can see the crack when heated........dont go away...looking for a pic...

Nooooooooooo
:fear:

:bolt:

buccaneer
05-20-2013, 01:34 AM
Real mayo, not Miracle Whip, Is that right??

"Real" mayo is what we make at home.
It's a mayonnaise style product.

creekwalker
05-20-2013, 01:48 AM
I use a great oven pork chop recipe I got from my sister: slather pork chops on both sides with mayo, place them in a pan, put mustard and a little brown sugar on top of each chop and pour a little milk between them (just part way up the sides)...of course the mayo separates, but it's always very good, and when it turns out ideally, the mayo sort of toasts and forms something of a delectable crust on the tops. So it should have occurred to me that mayo would make a good rib slather, but it didn't.

I generally avoid sugar, so on the oven pork chops I use a spidery drizzle of blackstrap molasses and some sucralose. However, I also have sugar subs that have textural and chemical qualities, and combining them in different ways makes it possible to juggle the degree of sweetness vs. cooking qualities vs. different kinds of cooking qualities...the primary textural subsitute I use in polydextrose, which happens to have very little sweetness, but has the sticky and gooey qualities of sugar in great abundance. (Also a somewhat disproportionate amount of the browning qualities.) On the next rib cook, I'll try the mayo along with an increased proportion of the polydextrose. (Will also try poly D on the oven chops...should have thought of that before too.)

Wonder why japanese mayo doesn't separate? (The Wikipedia article had nothing enlightening on that point.)

boiler93
05-20-2013, 06:58 AM
For those willing to try mayo on their next ribs please post your results good or bad ive learned alot on here and enjoy trying new methods.

JohnHB
05-20-2013, 07:10 AM
Wonder why japanese mayo doesn't separate? (The Wikipedia article had nothing enlightening on that point.)

I do note that Wikipedia does say:

"Mayonnaise is also often used for cooking where it can replace butter or oil when frying vegetables or meat."

I wouldn't expect to use standard mayo this way.

John

NickTheGreat
05-20-2013, 07:54 AM

We do this with salmon. Outstanding :twisted:

creekwalker
05-20-2013, 06:33 PM
I do note that Wikipedia does say:

"Mayonnaise is also often used for cooking where it can replace butter or oil when frying vegetables or meat."

I wouldn't expect to use standard mayo this way.

John

Definitely not...the 7th paragraph of this article

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wqNjrjm281AJ:web-japan.org/trends01/article/020808fas_r.html+why+does+japanese+mayo+not+separa te+when+heated&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

--asserts that it's one particular brand of Japanese mayo (Asahi Denka) that doesn't separate, because it uses a special kind of solid fat...doesn't go into more detail. (And the company link provided doesn't work.)

JohnHB
05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Just to demonstrate that others use Japanese mayo for cooking see attached:
Broiled Mussels with Dynamite Sauce

24 mussels, steamed
1/2 cup Kewpie mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Sriracha
1 small garlic clove, smashed to a paste
1 teaspoon sugar

Preheat broiler on high heat. Remove one half of mussel shell and discard. Whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha, garlic, and sugar, then place about 1 teaspoon over each mussel. Place mussels on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until sauce is bubbling and begins to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.

Ian Knauer is the author of The Farm: Rustic Recipes for a Year of Incredible Food, which will be released on April 17.

I believe it is worth trying.
John

JohnHB
05-20-2013, 06:44 PM
By worth trying I mean trying the Japanese mayo. The recipe looks interesting too except I'd be a bit worried about over cooking!!!
John

creekwalker
05-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Here is the abstract from the Asahi Denka company's patent for its heat and freezing resistant mayo:

PURPOSE: To obtain the subject mayonnaise resistant to demulsification in freezing, thawing and heating.

CONSTITUTION: The heat-resistant freeze-resistant mayonnaise composed mainly of edible vegetable oil and fat, edible vinegar, egg and water is produced by using an oil and fat containing ≥30wt.% of a triglyceride having an ECN (Equivalent Carbon Number) value of ≤42 [ECN=CN-2n (CN is the number of C atoms in the fatty acid residues of the triglyceride; (n) is the number of double bonds in the fatty acid residues of the triglyceride)] and using trypsin-treated yolk as the egg and lactoalbumin as a stabilizer.

...so there you have it. (I just don't have any idea what it means.)

boiler93
05-20-2013, 09:26 PM
We never got this complicated in my class but through many tastes tests i know it does the trick! I will certainly try the japanese version soon.

cricky101
05-21-2013, 03:53 PM

I do this too if I'm frying up a piece of fish. I just use a really thin layer to make the almond flour breading stick, so I can't really taste the mayo, but it works great.

BeerBQ
05-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Interesting....
Was grilling for a buddy at his graduation/housewarming party when he found a bag of frozen corn.
His new neighbor is a trucker that goes to Mexico. He mentioned putting mayo on corn instead of butter.

MS2SB
05-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Isn't this kind of the basis for Alabama White Sauce? Or the way that Big Bob Gibson does chicken?

ssv3
05-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Chicken rubbed with MAYO and seasoning of your choice. Always a hit.

boiler93
05-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Dont know why I've never tried on fish or chicken but the next cook will get the same treatment as the ribs!

TBASS
05-21-2013, 09:29 PM
I am very intrigued by this concept of using mayo. I have been using mustard forever. I would appreciate it if someone could/would post some pictures and offer details of their results using mayo. I have a family get together coming us this weekend at the beach and would love to offer something a little different. Thanks in advance.

LT72884
05-22-2013, 01:08 AM
i have used Mayonesa on chicken before and that was dang good. ill try it on some pork butt. I use all kinds of mustards on my ribs. haha

rcbaughn
05-22-2013, 02:32 AM
Anyone have problems with the price of Japanese mayo? That is the only reason I don't keep it at my house. That little squeeze bottle is $6.99 at my Asian market, and everything there is rock bottom cheap so I suspect that is the going price everywhere maybe.

I mean, how can it be an expensive market when they charge $3.99 a pound for live conch and $5.99 a pound for live razor clams? Insanely low prices on hard to get seafood and stuff. Cheap pork too.

Sorry if I went off on a rant there, just expressing how expensive Kewpie is where I live. LOL. Stuff is good, MSG helps.

boiler93
05-22-2013, 06:43 AM
I am very intrigued by this concept of using mayo. I have been using mustard forever. I would appreciate it if someone could/would post some pictures and offer details of their results using mayo. I have a family get together coming us this weekend at the beach and would love to offer something a little different. Thanks in advance.

Read entire post, pictures of finished ribs. Sprinkle favorite rub on ribs as usual and then rub in small amount of mayo to both sides and let sit for at least an hour to 12 hours and enjoy.

rcbaughn
05-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Isn't this kind of the basis for Alabama White Sauce? Or the way that Big Bob Gibson does chicken?

Big Bob Gibson's definitely separates when you pour it on while the chicken is grilling. I started basting with it early on once and it just turned to oil and the spices in the sauce on the chicken. Not a bad thing at all, but it doesn't hold up like Kewpie would under high heat. Now adding it to chicken right off the grill is a different story, but even then it seemed to separate a bit, but that's easily fixed by adding more white sauce! LOL, lots of Alabama sauce = tasty chicken. Period.

hamiltont
05-22-2013, 08:37 AM
I use Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise on Pork Ribs, Skinless Chicken and Pork Butts all the time. I apply the rub and then a small amount of mayo and rub it in, and then another dusting of rub. I think it helps keep the rub from burning and definitely keeps the surface moist, especially for skinless chicken. Here's a pic of a couple Baby Backs on the Traeger after cooking @ 275F. This pic was taken just prior to applying the glaze. Cheers!!!

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/tjhamilton/BBQ/RibswithMayo_zpscd961f9b.jpg (http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/tjhamilton/media/BBQ/RibswithMayo_zpscd961f9b.jpg.html)