PDA

View Full Version : Use by or Freeze dates? Are they set in stone?

kitts21
05-19-2013, 03:08 AM
So how far past these dates do you push it? Does the type of meat differ with how long after these dates you'll still use it. I had some chicken thighs in the fridge that were about 2 day's past the use byor freeze date. I ended up tossing them out. Do you use meat that has passed the recomended use/freeze date? If so how long would you say "No Way'.

Gasket
05-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Sell-by-dates are used by grocery stores mainly to know when to restock their shelves and and to indicate peak freshness. I have used meats that were 4 days past their sell by date with no problems what so ever. Usually if it smells funky after a good rinse toss it. Remember the nose knows.

rcbaughn
05-19-2013, 04:18 AM
Yep, just smell it. If it's a whole piece of meat and not cut up yet I've went 5 days and no funk. Chicken and fish are the only things I try to use within a few days quicker though. Fish usually a lot quicker since it just gets worse the longer it sits. I ain't no professional here, maybe some other guys will chime in too. I'm still learning.

DerHusker
05-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Yep, just smell it. If it's a whole piece of meat and not cut up yet I've went 5 days and no funk. Chicken and fish are the only things I try to use within a few days quicker though. Fish usually a lot quicker since it just gets worse the longer it sits. I ain't no professional here, maybe some other guys will chime in too. I'm still learning.

^^^ This ^^^

dadsr4
05-19-2013, 10:10 AM
The only thing I have to add is that, having spent a week last summer in the hospital with food poisoning, taking chances is false economy. The doctor said it was probably not from anything I prepared but it does make me more cautious. I shop the marked down meats at the supermarket all the time, but I no longer buy marked down chicken or fish.

Churrasqueiro Bob
05-19-2013, 10:30 AM
I frequently see supermarket beef turning color before their sell by date. There are areas where it is getting that brownish color and a day or two after the date, there is an odor becoming apparent. My local butcher vacuum seals everything, and I can eat a steak days past the "fresh" date with no discoloration or change in taste at all.

rick51
05-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Chicken or turkey should have NO ODOR AT ALL when you unwrap it. Sniff both sides to be sure. If no odor, it's good; otherwise, pitch it.

You should have a few days past the sell date in general, but it all depends on the refrigeration. If it gets warm in the car on the way home from the store, cook it promptly.

rcbaughn
05-20-2013, 05:20 AM
I frequently see supermarket beef turning color before their sell by date. There are areas where it is getting that brownish color and a day or two after the date, there is an odor becoming apparent. My local butcher vacuum seals everything, and I can eat a steak days past the "fresh" date with no discoloration or change in taste at all.

If I see fresh cut meat I'll bring it home and vacuum seal it too, usually beef cuts. I'll freeze if I know I can't eat them within a week or so. Take em out a few hours before I cook to dry off and bam, pretty meat!

JohnHB
05-20-2013, 06:57 AM
I avoid stale chicken. But a number of years ago when I had a massive commercial fridge in my garage I used to by strip loins by the carton. They were vacuum packed. I didn't open the carton until 4 months lapsed after packing date. Each loin when opened had a smell which I eliminated by a quick wash and then I carved the meat. My household was renown for its great steaks.
John

NickTheGreat
05-20-2013, 07:57 AM
I don't worry about it too much. Though we also use the smell test for everything in our household. My mom came to visit once and commented about how it was odd that we smelled all our food before we used it. :wacko:

MJ_Tenn
05-23-2013, 02:45 PM
I too, let my nose tell me if it's bad