PDA

View Full Version : Weber Char-Baskets

Higgledy
05-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Does anyone use these things? I used mine for the first time tonight. I don't think they work very well. Or is it me?

J'ville Grill
05-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Can you be a little more specific? I use them, they work for me.

Higgledy
05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
having one on each side cramps the in-direct space. Plus, they r small, and dont provide much of a direct heat area. I think one basket about a 1/3 the grate size would be better.

Bludawg
05-18-2013, 09:35 PM
I have never used them and never really saw the need for them and they are klunky. IMO they impose limits on you: you can only use this much charcoal, Says Who??

Swine Spectator
05-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Use mine all of the time. Love'em.

MS2SB
05-18-2013, 09:52 PM
I use them for short to medium length indirect cooks less than 3 hours long. Though I find myself putting a couple of concrete bricks on the charcoal grate now and using that as a partition more often.

1911Ron
05-18-2013, 11:59 PM
I use them, they do limit you true enough. I use the charcoal rails for different setups, i plan on trying a setup i saw on another site.

mwmac
05-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Use mine every time I break out the rotisserie...work great

Hcs
05-19-2013, 05:30 AM
That's all I use and when. Smoke I just use 1 and foil off all the grate will last about 4 hours at 250

volfan411
05-19-2013, 06:34 AM
I use them all the time and have never had a complaint.

benniesdad
05-19-2013, 06:43 AM
They are not the silver bullet for all things BBQ/grilling, but they have their niche. I use them with my rotisserie and also when I make casseroles on the grill. For casseroles, I lay fire bricks on the grate and set the casserole dish on top of those with the baskets on the sides. The other thing baskets do very well is if you have a Performer with the gas igniter and you want to use your grill for quick simple fare weeknight meals like boneless chicken breasts or loin chops etc. You can just keep you charcoal in the baskets and put the baskets next to each other in the middle of the grill. The limitation is that you have a small cooking area in the center of the grill which works fine if you can doing small quick things for a couple of people. It even works great for steaks as you can set it up as a high heat searing area with the indirect heat area around the outside of the grate. When you are done and snuff out the fire, all it takes to get going the next day is a quick shake of the baskets, pour some new charcoal on top as needed, put them over the igniter, push the button and you are off cooking again. This minimizes all your charcoal handling. The new Weber gourmet grate system was designed with this in mind.

This doesn't mean they take the place of all the other things you can do on a kettle with multi zone fires or some of the proven low and slow techniques. IMO they are just one more thing that adds to the versatility of Weber kettles.

jamus34
05-19-2013, 06:49 AM
I got them and tried using them a couple of times...I found that if I'm trying for indirect I prefer using the wrapped brick trick as it allows you to control exactly where the heat will be.

I'll probably use them for some things (I imagine they would be good loaded up to get some direct heat for steak searing) but I've not found the ideal situation yet.

chriscw81
05-19-2013, 07:22 AM
having one on each side cramps the in-direct space. Plus, they r small, and dont provide much of a direct heat area. I think one basket about a 1/3 the grate size would be better.

i agree, i wish they were a little bigger. i use mine a lot. the main reason i use them is because it make it easier to re-use charcoal. i just pick it up, shake it, and the ash falls out.

Bobby R
05-19-2013, 08:14 AM
They are cheap but I love them, they fall apart really easy and I think they are to small so I made my self some bigger and better ones out of some expanded left over from my basket scrapes from where I made my uds. I love being able to shake the charcoal and reuse. I feel like they save me a ton of money on fuel!:wink:

jkolantern
05-20-2013, 03:51 PM
I like the older style ones (heavier wire gauge, part 960080, $8.80 each from online sources) that hold about 1 of the new Weber mini-chimneys each and use them a lot. Filled up they just about touch the cooking grate, which gives you a great spot for searing while leaving plenty of room for indirect. The pot metal ones are ok, but I'm not as big a fan.

ButtBurner
05-20-2013, 04:05 PM
I just use my little bbq shovel and push the coals to the sides.

They behave, they aint got legs