PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Question

Sway
05-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Got these today for free, dont see any marking on the rusted stuff so not sure where thay are from? Anyone seen them before and are they worth bringing back to life?

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/982308/original/cast-iron.jpg

code3rrt
05-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Looks like a lot of elbow grease, but they look restorable from what I can see from here. I know there are threads that address the process on this site.

Keep us posted

KC

JONESY
05-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Absolutely worth bringing back to life. I've never tried it but I was just talking to a guy that says to coat nasty cast iron with oven cleaner then into a black plastic garbage bag then into the sun. He said to let it sit for a day or two, scrub clean and start seasoning.

IamMadMan
05-18-2013, 08:08 PM
For the rusty pieces only.....

Soak pieces in solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% water for couple hours. Now this will depend on each piece, BUT remember vinegar is an acid and acids EAT metal You will ruin your piece if you let it in the bath too long. This is NOT like a lye bath.

Remove from vinegar solution, rinse and rub/brush to determine if rust has been removed. Repeat vinegar bath if required.

Dry, oil, wipe, buff.

The others look like a good wash and then seasoning them is all that is needed.

cmt
05-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Charbroil says you can soak their cast iron in 50/50 vinegar and water as well. I am doing so now to an old 1964 Charbroil. The stuff is indeed coming off. I intend to oil the grates when they dry and re-season them.

Sway
05-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Cool, thanks. I think I will give it a go an see what happens.

rondini
05-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Looks like you got yourself a Dutch oven. a cornbread iron plus 2 oval somethings and a squarish thing a jig.

Sway
05-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Looks like you got yourself a Dutch oven. a cornbread iron plus 2 oval somethings and a squarish thing a jig.

I really got three cornbread things but didn't all fit in pic. Not really sure what the oval things are?

K-JUN
05-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Lodge calls them oval servers.

qnbiker
05-18-2013, 09:21 PM
3 of the pieces seem to have remnants of a porcelain coating on them.

yakdung
05-18-2013, 09:23 PM
May want to try a Clean & Strip Disk. I would try on the bottom first.

Mark Warren
05-18-2013, 10:20 PM
I would take them to a shop that will sand blast them for you. Then re-season them with shortening or lard and put them in your outdoor cooker for a couple hours at about 350.

dadsr4
05-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Here is another option.

Cast Iron Electrolysis Rust Removal

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/61319/cast-iron-electrolysis-rust-removal

Mark Warren
05-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Here is another option.

Cast Iron Electrolysis Rust Removal

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/61319/cast-iron-electrolysis-rust-removal

A hydrogen bomb there, could get bad real quick if not done outside away from the house.

BigBellyBBQ
05-19-2013, 01:54 AM
I have used stainless steel shot peen reviving pans before, real gentle on surface.then re - seal them after a cleaning with barkeepers cleanser, then finnish with good ole fashioned heat cure and oil..

BigBellyBen77
05-19-2013, 03:27 AM
I've done everything from shrimp scampi to individual orders of shepherds pie in the oval pans. I love cooking with cast iron and think its always worth bringing back to life.

kitts21
05-19-2013, 03:27 AM
I asked this question a while back and got a good response, here is the link to my thread
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131683&page=3

I sandblasted all the rust and gunk off mine, it's condition was a lot like your when I found it. It cleaned up nice and now I use it everyday for my morning eggs. Good luck, and keep us updated with your progress.

rcbaughn
05-19-2013, 04:20 AM
Gosh yes save those. I love cast iron. As long as I ain't feeling lazy and feel like hand cleaning pans I'll use cast iron over stainless every time.

fantomlord
05-19-2013, 07:06 AM
not worth the effort. send them to me, and I'll dispose of them properly for you :twisted:

BBQ_MAFIA
05-19-2013, 07:30 AM
The Oval ones are Au Gratins. The look like mine from Le Creuset only with the Enamel removed. They are very expensive with the enamel.
You can check out the link below to see them.

Amazon.com: Le Creuset Heritage Enameled Cast-Iron 1-Quart Oval Au Gratin, Flame: Kitchen & Dining

I really got three cornbread things but didn't all fit in pic. Not really sure what the oval things are?

dadsr4
05-19-2013, 09:40 AM
A hydrogen bomb there, could get bad real quick if not done outside away from the house.
From the article.
JUST A COUPLE WORDS OF CAUTION. The bubbles coming from the process are pure hydrogen. It is extremely flammable. Do not set it up by an open pilot light, and ma"e sure you have some ventilation. Failure to do so will probably wind you up on the Darwin List."

popeye
05-19-2013, 10:20 AM
For the rusty pieces only.....

Soak pieces in solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% water for couple hours. Now this will depend on each piece, BUT remember vinegar is an acid and acids EAT metal You will ruin your piece if you let it in the bath too long. This is NOT like a lye bath.

Remove from vinegar solution, rinse and rub/brush to determine if rust has been removed. Repeat vinegar bath if required.

Dry, oil, wipe, buff.

The others look like a good wash and then seasoning them is all that is needed.

this is the way i have done it for over 30 years. i have a lot of cast

RustyPup
05-19-2013, 01:46 PM
I may get fragged for posting a link to another site, but I think it's worth mentioning.

I'm not an expert, and knowing that, I go to the experts when I don't know what I'm doing. The guys over at the Wagner and Griswold Society are the source of record for all things cast iron. They are the pros from Dover when it comes to cast iron and aluminum. Some of the members over there have collections numbering in the thousands of pieces, and they have the world's largest library of foundry documentation for researching a piece.

From my reading on their site, and interacting with the membership over there over the last 4 years, I can tell you that they all agree that sand, bead, or media blasting of any kind is one of the worst things you can do to a cast iron piece. Excessive heat (i.e. chuck it into the fire and burn it off,) probably runs a close second. Here's a link to their cleaning and care page with their suggested methods of cleaning, stripping, and seasoning cast iron and cast aluminum:

http://www.wag-society.org/cleaning.php

Again, I'm not an expert, but it looks like the Dutch Oven is an Asian import (we have a couple of those,) but the little square skillet is interesting. It may possibly be a Wagner or BS&R (Birmingham Stove and Range) square cornbread skillet. We have a 10" square BS&R skillet, and it looks very similar to yours. They're all worth cleaning up and checking into. The DO would make a good daily user or camping DO. Just know that it's not a collector's item. The square skillet, on the other hand, might possibly be.

Overall, nice score and they're all worth keeping and using. Good luck!

thirdeye
05-19-2013, 08:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cast%20Iron/Collage1copy.jpg

This collage shows the last skillet I did. I follow The Pan Man's (http://www.panman.com/cleaning.html) technique almost to the tee. The right oil like lard or Crisco, the correct temperature (moderate then ramping a little higher) over the correct time cycles (30 minutes or so) will work every time. I favor several cycles where I let the skillet cool completely. I have some pieces that are over 100 years old and they all look great.

Smoothsmoke
05-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Those babies will come back to life super easy. Check out what I did to an old Wagner that even had paint on it!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152352

Salt, oven cleaner, 000 steel wool = brand new

RustyPup
05-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Hmmmm - looks like I use the Pan Man's lye method of cleaning and seasoning as well and just didn't know it. Thanks for the link!