PDA

View Full Version : Costco Baby Backs, Stink.

SmokeGut
05-18-2013, 05:05 PM
I just opened up a package of the loin backs from Costco. They reek like a rotten eggs and farts. I rinsed them off and dryed them, but the kitchen still stinks like farts. Are these bad? The date doesnt say its expired. Is this normal?

tinman
05-18-2013, 05:09 PM
I've had quite a few of those Costco 3 slab packs smell that way.....typical cryo smell. They are always fine from the ones I have encountered.

Titch
05-18-2013, 05:10 PM
If in doubt chuck em out

SmokeGut
05-18-2013, 05:11 PM
I don't know if I'm in doubt or this is typical?

Davey D
05-18-2013, 05:11 PM
I had the same problem a while back. I believe they said it was due to the packing process or something. I remember it being a sulfur smell. I ended up smoking 9 slabs for a party and they came out fine. As long as it isn't a rancid smell you should be fine.

Smoothsmoke
05-18-2013, 05:12 PM
I'd take em back.

Blanton
05-18-2013, 05:17 PM
I just opened up a package of the loin backs from Costco. They reek like a rotten eggs and farts. I rinsed them off and dryed them, but the kitchen still stinks like farts. Are these bad? The date doesnt say its expired. Is this normal?

You said the kitchen still smells but how do the smell after being aired out. If the smell is gone they should be ok. Common for the cryovaks

SmokeGut
05-18-2013, 05:20 PM
I put rub on them after i rinsed them and foiled them in the fridge, my wife just came home and said she smells farts in the kitchen, I told her I think it's just the blood and cryo smell from the ribs? I spent $30 on these ribs...

Callahan-que
05-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Rinse the rub off them and then check again for smell.

SmokeGut
05-18-2013, 05:37 PM
I opened them up with the rub on, and sniffed them. I don't really smell any funky odor. Just that raw porky meat smell, and the rub. I think when I opened the package there was a sulfur farty stench that billowed out into the house/kitchen.

16Adams
05-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Words from my father. The Original George W.

"know your butcher"

Think about it.

Beer Please, thanks

Johnny_Crunch
05-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Cryo will make them smell. If it doesn't smell rotten they should be fine. I do usually expect a stink when I buy them. You will know if they are truly bad. They will be disgustingly stinky.

stephan
05-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Take them back, I use Costco baby back all the time and the only time they smell [as you describe] is when they are bad. Costco will either give your money back or you can exchange them.

SmokeGut
05-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Take them back, I use Costco baby back all the time and the only time they smell [as you describe] is when they are bad. Costco will either give your money back or you can exchange them.

I cant return them, What am I going drive to Costco with rubbed ribs in my arms like a new born baby boy? I threw out the packaging too...

SmokeGut
05-18-2013, 06:04 PM
I just took them out of the fridge. and opened them up, theres no foul odor on them. I would think they would still stink like rotten farts. It must of just been the cryo fart smell from the packaging.

Bbq Bubba
05-18-2013, 06:07 PM
That smell is typical from cryo packaging. Carry on.

Hambone1950
05-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Well , if you can't take em back , cook em and see how they smell and taste...I bet they'll be ok.

Johnny_Crunch
05-18-2013, 06:09 PM
I just took them out of the fridge. and opened them up, theres no foul odor on them. I would think they would still stink like rotten farts. It must of just been the cryo fart smell from the packaging.

They are fine. Rot odor doesn't go away. Enjoy!

Toney Marconi
05-18-2013, 06:45 PM
100% normal. I had the same reaction the first time I opened a cryovac. Enjoy!

KingofTheCoals
05-18-2013, 07:14 PM
About 6 months ago I had a similar situation. After rinsing and rubbing they still smelled. I threw them on the smoker. 30 minutes in the smell was still bad. Took the partly cooked ribs in with a piece of original packaging and exchanged them. Costco makes good on their products.

SmokeGut
05-18-2013, 07:22 PM
I open the fridge with the 3 slabs covered in bone suckin sauce rub, and I don't smell any funky fart stench. So I assume they are ok.

stephan
05-18-2013, 07:52 PM
I cant return them, What am I going drive to Costco with rubbed ribs in my arms like a new born baby boy? I threw out the packaging too...

I have brought back opened packs, granted they had not been seasoned but if you explain I would bet they still would take them back.

gotribe28
05-18-2013, 08:08 PM
They are fine. Rot odor doesn't go away. Enjoy!

Hey cypress..... im at 249 and beltway....

Gore
05-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Usually there is a bit of smell, but only once was the meat actually spoiled and the smell did not go away. I actually called up Costco and they told me just to bring in the receipt next time and they refunded me. There was no need make an extra trip or to keep the meat lying around, and I don't think they wanted the stinky meat either.

rondini
05-18-2013, 08:20 PM
I think someone here wrote sometime back about this smell/cryo. Their solution was to wipe the meat down with(if I remember right)a diluted white vinegar solution. I get most of my stuff fresh/local, so I can't say if this works or not,but it sounds like it would.

Higgledy
05-18-2013, 09:27 PM
I saw a guy at Costco returning dead, dried-brown bushes still in there containers. It was winter so I was thinking the guy bought them the prior spring and never planted them. Some men have no shame. If I were that lazy I'd never show my face for a refund. But rotten meat--hell yes I'd return them and the manager would get a nice lecture on food safety, too.

SmokeDiddy
05-19-2013, 04:19 PM
feed to in-laws

BoDean
05-19-2013, 11:07 PM
feed to in-laws

:clap::clap::thumb::thumb::hail::hail::tongue:

westy
05-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Not normal for feet, arm pits, breath, dogs, kids, milk, pee, or water to stink. Why the meat you're gonna eat?

The Argus
05-20-2013, 03:03 AM
The thing is with cryo BB's is the majority of the BB's on the market are Pre frozen. If they are left to thaw at temp (36) or lower they will will not smell. Unfortunately a lot of markets will quick thaw in water.. which should be cold, but people are lazy, under staffed, in a hurry ect... they might thaw in warm to hot water. This will break down the fluid (blood) in the packaging. One sign is to look for a clear liquid in the package and not cloudy or opaque.

SmokinAussie
05-20-2013, 06:36 AM
There is ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING wrong with them. PERIOD.

Eat and Enjoy!

Cheers!

Bill

IamMadMan
05-20-2013, 06:39 AM
I've had quite a few of those Costco 3 slab packs smell that way.....typical cryo smell. They are always fine from the ones I have encountered.

^+1 Same here, just check the date before you buy them....