PDA

View Full Version : New Kingsford

Doorbusters
02-24-2006, 02:06 PM
I am also trying the new "stuff" today. Bricks look smaller, Price has jumped about $1.35 per bag. Also noticed some new Kingsford Lump Coal at Wal-Mart. Has anyone tried that yet? Should have gone to Home Depot, 2 bags for $9.

bruno
02-24-2006, 02:34 PM
I tried the Kingsford lump. I wasn't impressed. I like the RO lump much better.

Sawdustguy
02-24-2006, 02:55 PM
I think a bunch of people have. Check this thred out: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15070&highlight=kingsford

Dakaty
02-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Bruno

I also use the RO lump and really like it. I am curious as to what you have to pay for it in your area. I get mine here in Houston at a restaurant supply for $7 for 20 lbs. That is the best deal I've seen. I saw a post about a place in Dallas that sells 40 lbs of mesquite lump for $11. That sounds like a super duper deal.

I had been using Kingsford (original) and incurred too much ash on a long (8 hours and up) cook. Not a prob now with the RO lump.

Bill

bruno
02-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Bruno

I also use the RO lump and really like it. I am curious as to what you have to pay for it in your area. I get mine here in Houston at a restaurant supply for $7 for 20 lbs. That is the best deal I've seen. I saw a post about a place in Dallas that sells 40 lbs of mesquite lump for $11. That sounds like a super duper deal.

I had been using Kingsford (original) and incurred too much ash on a long (8 hours and up) cook. Not a prob now with the RO lump.

Bill

here in NE KAnsas, at Wally World, its about $5 for 10#. The other option is Best Choice Lump, which is made by RO, for around $4.25 for 10#. I called a couple restraunt supply places today and nobody carried charcoal.

I thought the K lump burned extremely fast. I have used the RO lump in my Dera, and liked the time and temp I got, in Spice Bag's basket. I have a WSM and plan on trying it in there for a cook.

Have you ever used B&B? I have heard some good stuff about that.

Dakaty
02-24-2006, 09:11 PM
B&B was the first natural lump I ever used. My wife gave me a 20 lb bag of it for Christmas (gotta luv her). I had been using Kingsford charcoal up till then. I really did not get a feel for the B&B because I didn't use it but for one cook. It did give me the bug to start using lump, which led me to the RO lump. Now I am so happy with the RO lump, I haven't tried anything else.

Jeff_in_KC
02-24-2006, 10:10 PM
B&B was the first natural lump I ever used. My wife gave me a 20 lb bag of it for Christmas (gotta luv her).

Your wife gave you coal for Christmas? :eek: Man, you must have been REALLY bad! :lol:

Hawgsnheifers
02-25-2006, 12:20 AM
I heard somewhere that if you add dried buffalo chips to your lump, you can increase burn times and test the hindges on the Dera's fire box at the same time. Is that true?

Dakaty
02-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Dang Jeff

I never thought of it that way, I thought it was a good thing.

Hmmmm.... and she gave me 20 lbs.

Solidkick
02-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Dang Jeff

You shooting for 40 lbs next year?? :twisted: Everyone needs a goal........:wink:

JohnMcD348
02-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Dang Jeff

I think for us it is. My wife comes from Pennsylvania coal country and she always threatens me with it around Christmas time. I keep telling her that if she gives me coal for Christmas, that means I'll have to smoke something that day. Then she tries to remind me that it's a different type of coal. I just tell her that if I get coal, somethings getting smoked...I don't have to be the one eating it.