PDA

View Full Version : Pork Butt question.......

Plaid Palace
05-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Going to put a butt on in the morning. Saw on BBQ with Franklin that he rubbed a little olive oil on his butt before he put the rub on to help the rub stick a little better. He said he doesn't like his rub sit to long on there. Is there a reason with the oil or with the rub that I would not want to going ahead and prepare the with the rub and the oil tonight?

My concern is the oil will have a negative effect on the meat staying on overnight. Or putting the rub on this early will give the meat too much rub flavor. Thoughts from you experienced bbqers?

Johnny_Crunch
05-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Either way your not going to hurt anything. I usually rub mine a few minutes before I cook it. You can use mustard also to make the rub stick. It's really hard to screw up a butt.

J'ville Grill
05-17-2013, 08:14 PM
I've never used oil or mustard and my rubs don't fall off.

ajstrider
05-17-2013, 08:23 PM
I've cooked a lot of butts, and experimented a bunch with them. First, it is so hard to mess up a butt, don't worry about that. I use the olive oil also. Most spices are oil soluble and it sort of liquifies them and helps them absorb into the meat just a bit (not sure if it really makes a difference, but sounds good). Plain old yellow mustard is generally the other thing used to help hold the rub on. And as previously mentioned, you can just put the rub on it too, it works. I don't like to leave the rub on the pork butt for overnight because generally pork butts have a salty solution in the package to help preserve them and if the rub absorbs in too much, it will be salty and taste ham-like. I use to let it sit in the fridge for about an hour, while I got the smoker ready and such. But now I get the smoker ready first and pretty much just put the butt on to cook right after I rub it, I haven't noticed any difference.

Butts pretty much always turn out good, and with some experimenting on your cooker you can make them great.

marubozo
05-17-2013, 08:26 PM
What these guys said above. Mustard, oil, dry, overnight, right before, you can take your pick and it will be just fine. I've done butts with just about every combination and at the end of the day when it hits the bun they are all delicious and you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference between them. So, do what works for you in terms of time, ingredients, and fridge space, and you'll be happy with the results.

Bludawg
05-17-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't use any thing on any of my meat to keep the rub on, I rub it and through it on the pit. If you have to smear something on your meat to keep the rub on your using to much rub.

SweetBlue
05-17-2013, 09:29 PM
I personally use mustard with a BUNCH of rub. Its all about the personal preference.

My theory is the bark is such a small percentage of the meat. By over seasoning the outside you'll still taste the rub once you pull / chop.

That said, I'm a barkaholic. Halfway through the cook I'll coat the butt with sauce so that the sugars can carmelize (burn) and give my perferred flavor.

BBQ Bandit
05-17-2013, 10:08 PM
Had no problems rubbing my meat. That didn't sound right...

Butts, brisket, ribs, or chicken are naturally moist on the surface... unless you are persuing to pat, air dry, or dry aging.

Just throw on the rub... pat and smear/rub it in all over.
No problem keeping it simple.... (KISS method).

b182evrclear
05-17-2013, 10:10 PM
I prefer to rub dry about an hour before it goes on. A nice coating will stick without any extra liquid. While it sits, it'll liquify. At that point you could sprinkle a little more on if you want more. I like to sprinkle a little extra rub with a little finishing sauce and drippings after I pull it to get the final flavor profile I like.

Smoothsmoke
05-17-2013, 10:19 PM
I just rub my butt while the grill is coming up to temp. Great results all the time.

captndan
05-18-2013, 07:15 AM
You're getting to scientific again. No oil no mustard a little rub and cook. KISS