PDA

View Full Version : Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

mchar69
03-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Nice post, but -The pickles were something that made me remember the place. I am THRILLED to see the recipe posted here.
I didn't see the recipe. What page? Thanks.

defence18
03-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Nice post, but -
I didn't see the recipe. What page? Thanks.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2722966&postcount=545

THoey1963
03-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Those pickles are great. For the first batch, I put half a habanero in each container as I was filling them. Couldn't really tell it was there. For the second batch, I put the sliced habanero in the simmering water to try to get some of the oil extracted. I also added a half teaspoon of cayanne to each container (next time I will put this in the pot to simmer too). This gave it a "little" heat.

Yes, we like things spicy... :mad2:

mchar69
03-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Oh, got it - thanks Defence. I though they were fried pickles, which I've never had.
Recipe looks delicious.

marubozo
03-12-2014, 08:52 PM
I've read this forum off and on for a while...

Thanks for the kind words, and I truly appreciate your honest review. Next time you stop in be sure to take a minute to introduce yourself so we can talk some BBQ.

Bperkins01
03-14-2014, 12:02 PM
How is the new POS system working?

marubozo
03-15-2014, 08:24 AM
How is the new POS system working?

It's fantastic. Took a bit of getting used to, but it's super simple to use. And I love how we have a remote ticket printer so the guys on the line can get to work putting the orders together before waiting for the cashier to pass the ticket or worry about reading bad handwriting.

As for me, I love the data. Realtime stats either on my computer or phone, and I can now track so much data about the sales and what's being sold when. Like this:

http://i61.tinypic.com/1y36h3.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2z4lge9.jpg

Yesterday we had 251 total orders. Not bad for a Friday :shock:

Bperkins01
03-15-2014, 09:21 AM
That is great information and simply presented.

Have you ever post a pic of the Rib Tip Platter?
I'd like to see that since it is #1
Thanks for sharing

luke duke
03-15-2014, 09:51 AM
It's fantastic. Took a bit of getting used to, but it's super simple to use. And I love how we have a remote ticket printer so the guys on the line can get to work putting the orders together before waiting for the cashier to pass the ticket or worry about reading bad handwriting.

As for me, I love the data. Realtime stats either on my computer or phone, and I can now track so much data about the sales and what's being sold when. Like this:

What system did you go with? I may be in the market soon.

TailGateJoecom
03-15-2014, 11:41 AM

http://i61.tinypic.com/1y36h3.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2z4lge9.jpg

Yesterday we had 251 total orders. Not bad for a Friday :shock:

Hmm, I would never think the rib tip platter would be your #1 item. Obviously not basing that on your food in particular as I have yet to have it, but I am inching closer on a road trip from NYC to do so!

mchar69
03-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Does it also show your margins? Like drinks are only 4.2 of sales but might have high margins and make 12% of total profit (or more?). It's good to see each transaction averages about $9.

castlepines
03-15-2014, 11:58 AM
It's only showing info for one day. The rib tip platter was the best seller for that day.

I'm also interested if you can separate the data by margins...

Grumpy Smiles
03-16-2014, 10:37 AM
What a great thread. Thanks for taking us along on your ride, as it's really been an eye opener for anyone wanting to jump off the cliff and do something like this. I wish I lived within driving distance to come see your place and eat. Congratulations on your opening success!

gaspipe1
03-16-2014, 02:53 PM
That POS info is awesome. Like others mentioned margins are very important. I think another good thing to do is after a month of data I would break it down by day and sittings (lunch vs dinner) and see what sells the best. If no one is buying whole chickens for lunch might as well dedicate a lot less space in the smoker for that. That's great info and I am sure the more time and info it gets the more intelligent decisions you can make.

Great work! Been following this from day one. Very proud of you guys for doing this. I hope happiness now stays after the success you guys have had.

marubozo
03-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks, everyone. Had quite a few brethren stop in this week. I didn't catch the names since it was crazy busy, but appreciate those of you who came out.

For those wondering, the POS system I'm using is www.shopkeep.com It's iPad based, which is great since it can also be used remotely, such as on-site catering, etc. And it was surprisingly affordable. The hardware I had to purchase, like the cash drawer, two thermal printers, and stuff came out to something like 800 bucks. Then I just had to buy a basic ipad. Figured even if I didn't like the POS itself, I could just keep the ipad since I've wanted one anyway. :mrgreen:

The weather improved slightly over the past few days so it's been another record week. The last few days the smoker has been at, or even over capacity as we try to keep up. The cvap for holding is more than maxed out. We have trays stacked on trays stacked on trays, and even started using a mobile steam pan warmer to hold even more, and still can't keep up.

While being so busy is great, I can begin to sense it's also becoming a detriment for some. One, there isn't enough parking. We seat 38 and have 20 parking spaces, two of which are handicap. I've had a number of people tell me that they come here for dinner, but there's nowhere to park so they just keep driving. And some take-out people have complained that they are just coming to pick up an order and have to park in the alley or in the middle of the lot just to run in to get their order. Also had a few people see the line outside and said they didn't want to stand in line.

I mean, I totally realize that this is a great problem to have, but at the same time I want to be able to serve as many people as possible and not have people not stopping because of the traffic. When the weather really starts to get warm, I don't know what we're going to do. I mean this entire concept was built around doing 50-80 customers a day, but we're doing 200-300 a day and could do more if we didn't sell out due to capacity issues.

And this doesn't include all of the catering requests I've had. It's only been about two months and I've got a bunch of requests to do weddings, graduation parties, etc. Since these are typically on weekends there's just no possible way without additional smoker space.

I'll figure it out, but it's been overwhelming to say the least. But at the end of the day, it's pictures like these that people post on facebook that make it all worth it in the end. She literally ordered and ate a full half pound of brisket herself.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/10014647_10104700523589864_141316150_n.jpg

sliding_billy
03-16-2014, 04:48 PM
First world problems for sure. :-D Great picture, BTW!

HarrynVegas
03-16-2014, 08:28 PM
oh the ad I could write for you using that picture. The only problem is that you don't NEED any advertising! The basic laws of supply and demand say you should raise prices. Keep up the great work.

VanderLaan
03-17-2014, 03:35 PM
That pic warrants a caption contest.

smoke ninja
03-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Her smile couldn't be any bigger.

MS2SB
03-17-2014, 04:38 PM
In regards to people not being able to park for takeout orders, have you thought about setting aside a parking stall near the door specifically for people coming in for pick-up?

marubozo
03-17-2014, 08:44 PM
In regards to people not being able to park for takeout orders, have you thought about setting aside a parking stall near the door specifically for people coming in for pick-up?

I'd like to but we need two handicap spaces and those are by the door. Then the lot layout is boxed in with a curb so there is no way to just repaint some lines to improve the layout. At least when all the snow melts people will be able to park on the shoulder of the road, but that isn't exactly a safe option.

Oh we'll. I'll figure it out like everything else during this adventure.

killerdc
03-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Awesome thread. I began reading yesterday, and eventually started skimming through it, and just finished today. Obviously I am not getting any of my own work done. HAHA. Great story. And congrats.

My thoughts on your space problem: Don't do a damn thing. The original Sonny Bryan's here in Dallas is similar to that. It's packed and they sell out when they sell out and there is no room to park or eat inside. People eat on their cars in the lot. If you want it as a consumer, you plan accordingly. And people do every single day for as long as I can remember.

You said your business model was to see far fewer daily visits than you are seeing now, so this must mean you are profitable given that you are 2-3x greater on daily visits than anticipated. That being said, people will adapt to your routine. You have been open only a few months. As word spreads, people will line up far in advance knowing that you will be sold out and if they want a spot in the parking lot, they are going to have to get their early. Seems simple enough. BBQ is a very time consuming business and as the man in charge of doing it all, if you try to please everyone, you will run yourself ragged.

Just my opinion.

I'd sure like to try some of that spicy sauce!

bbqmike_ny
03-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Awesome thread. I began reading yesterday, and eventually started skimming through it, and just finished today. Obviously I am not getting any of my own work done. HAHA. Great story. And congrats.

My thoughts on your space problem: Don't do a damn thing. The original Sonny Bryan's here in Dallas is similar to that. It's packed and they sell out when they sell out and there is no room to park or eat inside. People eat on their cars in the lot. If you want it as a consumer, you plan accordingly. And people do every single day for as long as I can remember.

You said your business model was to see far fewer daily visits than you are seeing now, so this must mean you are profitable given that you are 2-3x greater on daily visits than anticipated. That being said, people will adapt to your routine. You have been open only a few months. As word spreads, people will line up far in advance knowing that you will be sold out and if they want a spot in the parking lot, they are going to have to get their early. Seems simple enough. BBQ is a very time consuming business and as the man in charge of doing it all, if you try to please everyone, you will run yourself ragged.

Just my opinion.

I'd sure like to try some of that spicy sauce!

This plus, ever see the line at Franklins??

I don't know if a BBQ restaurant follows the honeymoon principle like some other businesses, where its new, gets a lot of buzz, explodes for a short while, then calms down. My other thought would possibly to invest in a trailer arrangement, where you could cook extra capacity onsite when needed, or use it to do the catering gigs.

Just BS
03-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Just catching up on your saga. Congrats, I love to hear a happy story.

Memphis Que
03-19-2014, 09:32 AM
For you Texas guys, I know Sonny Bryan's has been around forever, but how long was Franklin's in business before it started getting customers who are willing to wait hours for food with no guarantee that there will be any left when they get to the front of the line?

I'm just not buying the argument that it is good business for a new restaurant to turn away customers because they run out of food and don't have enough parking spaces. Maybe it's a Texas thing, but none of the many BBQ joints here in Memphis operate like that.

peeps
03-19-2014, 09:47 AM
For you Texas guys, I know Sonny Bryan's has been around forever, but how long was Franklin's in business before it started getting customers who are willing to wait hours for food with no guarantee that there will be any left when they get to the front of the line?

I'm just not buying the argument that it is good business for a new restaurant to turn away customers because they run out of food and don't have enough parking spaces. Maybe it's a Texas thing, but none of the many BBQ joints here in Memphis operate like that.He used to be a food truck/trailer, so it was just how it was...I think now it is just the way it is for Franklins because that is how he started.

aawa
03-19-2014, 10:01 AM

I'm just not buying the argument that it is good business for a new restaurant to turn away customers because they run out of food and don't have enough parking spaces. Maybe it's a Texas thing, but none of the many BBQ joints here in Memphis operate like that.

As you know the time it takes to make bbq isn't short. So you have a hard limit of the capacity of your smoker. If your customer base exceeds your smoker capacity the only thing you can possibly do is add another smoker to make more food. Adding another smoker is limited by space at the restaurant and cost. So a good bbq restaurant will run out of food if they do not have the capacity to supply the demand that is wanted. It is perfectly ok for a bbq joint to run out of food, provided they are running at full capacity.

Parking is a limiting factor by how much space is on the land. If you have extra land on the property, maybe you can expand the parking lot when the weather gets nicer or next year. But having a packed parking lot isn't a bad thing. It helps with the buzz of "you need to get there early to get food and parking" Lines aren't a bad thing. Yes you would like to serve everybody, but if your restaurant was designed to only serve X people that is a hard limit for you unless you expand. I know myself and friends do not mind waiting in line for great food.

As for people driving by because the line is too long. That is on them. You won't be able to make them happy. Keep doing what you are doing. Serving great food and providing great service to your guests. The people that drive by because the line is too long will either never go to your restaurant, or will make it a point to go earlier so they don't have to stand in line.

Having a buzz of you have to get there early to get parking/table/food is a good problem to have (provided you are running at full capacity) It makes guest realize they have to get there to enjoy something that is in high demand and will be the talk of the town.

DaveAlvarado
03-19-2014, 11:41 AM
99% of the ones in TX don't operate like that either. But then again most of them are just average, just like in Memphis. Just about any place would kill to do the business Franklin's does and still run out daily.

I wouldn't call it "bad business". It's certainly not as efficient as it could be, but it's a way to make money hand over fist.

Heck, there are plenty of people in TX who don't like Franklin's and refuse to go there because of the line. And they're happy to grump out loud to anybody who will listen. It hasn't stopped people from lining up every day though.

If you can sustain that model for years, it's a workable business model.

palmtreefrb
03-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Do you have room for a take-out trailer in your parking lot?

Franklins Original Trailer...
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a637/palmtreefrb/BIT_BBQ_Franklin_400x220_zps328fecc0.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/palmtreefrb/media/BIT_BBQ_Franklin_400x220_zps328fecc0.jpg.html)

Terry Hesticles
03-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Man, what a read! I think we all felt your frustrations as well as your pride throughout this ride thus far. Congrats on all your success and best of luck for its continuation into the horizon.

I have a question that's perhaps been asked, but do you have plans to include another smoker? Not only to help with the food shortage, but to allow you to cook different meats at the best temps using the best wood (one for chicken cooking above 300 and one for pork and beef cooking below).

2Fat
03-23-2014, 09:59 AM
this has to be an historic thread!! Now there are 2(two) bbq places i wanna visit in Michigan---maybe gotta cross the lake soon!!

Memphis Que
03-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Been almost a week since Marubozo's last update. I need a fix! :-D

dadsr4
03-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Been almost a week since Marubozo's last update. I need a fix! :-D
He has checked in.
"Last Activity: Yesterday 02:38 PM"

insaneh
03-24-2014, 11:39 AM
inquiring minds want to know!

marubozo
03-24-2014, 03:19 PM
I've been trying to recover today. I'm beat.

But it was another great week and no decline in business or anything. In fact, we sold out extra early on Saturday and had to close the doors at about 6:30. And that was with cramming almost more meat than is physically possible in the smoker and holding cabinet. I don't remember the final numbers, but it was close to 300 orders.

A brethren from Minnesota stopped in a few days ago, but I can't remember the name now, but he said he has been following this thread.

mchar69
03-24-2014, 04:11 PM
WHAT? Nothing broke this week??? GOOD.

I made your pickles yesterday - gonna have a few tonite - can't wait!
I asked before about having picnic tables outside when (if )
it gets warmer - any room for something like that?
Around here people have CocaCola Umbrellas or Heineken, etc., through a hole in their tables - surely they are free from vendors.

marubozo
03-24-2014, 04:58 PM
WHAT? Nothing broke this week??? GOOD.

I made your pickles yesterday - gonna have a few tonite - can't wait!
I asked before about having picnic tables outside when (if )
it gets warmer - any room for something like that?
Around here people have CocaCola Umbrellas or Heineken, etc., through a hole in their tables - surely they are free from vendors.

Well, the water heater broke down Wednesday during lunch. By a stroke of luck my equipment repair guy happened to come in for lunch and he checked it out after he ate. He got the bad element replaced and it only cost me a pulled pork sandwich.

And yes, there is a small patio for some tables, plus over an acre of land to use. One of my cooks makes picnic tables and said if I supply the materials he will make some.

Also, one of the area BBQ restaurants suddenly closed today without warning or explanation. I just saw someone mention it and when I talked to my food guy today I asked him what happened since they are his account as well. apparently I was the first to break the news to him because he said he just took an order from them on Friday.

mchar69
03-24-2014, 05:11 PM
one of the area BBQ restaurants suddenly closed today without warning or explanation.

I have a gooooood idea why he closed.............. :)

mchar69
03-24-2014, 05:15 PM
my food guy today
they WERE his account as well.- (fixt)
I was wondering about the vendors -
Sysco - Presidential are big here, plus small guys.
How now do you source your food?
Quality is a big deal with me.

marubozo
03-24-2014, 05:16 PM
I have a gooooood idea why he closed.............. :)

Well, I don't know, but my food guy said they were way behind on their food bills. Kind of a shame because it was a good place.

marubozo
03-24-2014, 05:20 PM
- (fixt)
I was wondering about the vendors -
Sysco - Presidential are big here, plus small guys.
How now do you source your food?
Quality is a big deal with me.

I use a smaller regional distributor. They can get food from pretty much anyone if I request it and can do the volume. For instance, I only wanted farmland ribs, but they didn't work with them previously. But since I order 10+ cases a week they brought them on board. And like my brioche buns, coming out of a bakery in Detroit, etc.

castlepines
03-24-2014, 07:19 PM
...And yes, there is a small patio for some tables, plus over an acre of land to use...

Hmm...I have visions of a food tent on that acre and a portable trailer smoker to feed the masses outside...maybe even a play area for kids that could be an area for nightly live music on select weekends in the summer. :thumb:

marubozo
03-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Hmm...I have visions of a food tent on that acre and a portable trailer smoker to feed the masses outside...maybe even a play area for kids that could be an area for nightly live music on select weekends in the summer. :thumb:

You got it. Already planning a few big whole hog outdoor events. Get a big tent, bounce house for the kids, and got a frequent customer who happens to have a blues band and would love to play.

castlepines
03-24-2014, 07:27 PM
You got it. Already planning a few big whole hog outdoor events. Get a big tent, bounce house for the kids, and got a frequent customer who happens to have a blues band and would love to play.

Spooky! :-D

Redleg71
03-25-2014, 10:38 AM
I would definitely set up an outdoor seating area with some character. People love their Q. especially in the summer. and love sitting outside. You would prolly significantly increase your sales just due to the additional seating. Do you have a liquor license?

mchar69
03-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Made a batch of your pickles and they went into 4 jars.
Ate a whole jar last nite - AWESOME!
Letting them sit for a couple of days was the ticket. Thanks!

gazz_46
03-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Epic journey, fantastic read....read the full story here, now heading off to FB to check out more.

ahawkeyeguy
03-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Great thread. Planning a cross country trip this summer - and had to put this on the map!

marubozo
03-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Big catering orders are starting to roll in. Got one for 50 tomorrow, another next week, and had somebody leave a message on the machine yesterday about doing 150-200.

So, who wants to buy me another smoker?

Need to add to staff as well, because three of my cooks are occasionally getting into OT territory. They are working their asses off and I appreciate it, but they are tired and I can tell. Plus, since they are working all they can, I'm screwed if anyone wants to take time off, calls in sick, etc.

We've also been discussing moving to table service so that we can keep take-out separate. The system right now isn't working when it's busy. There's a line out the door and some people have already called ahead for pick-up order, others are in line to eat in, and people waiting for their take-out are just sitting in booths or seats waiting for their food so those who do want to dine in can't find a seat even though there may be some available, etc. It's a clusterfark.

Good problems to have, no doubt, but it's certainly something that wasn't anticipated from the beginning.

marubozo
03-25-2014, 11:15 PM
Kate Upton. At The Prized Pig? Possibly. The saga continues...

BBQ Tim
03-25-2014, 11:36 PM

SI Swim Suit Shoot?

2Fat
03-25-2014, 11:51 PM
well it's almost home for her right??

sliding_billy
03-26-2014, 02:57 AM
Kate Upton + brisket fat... I'll make the damn trip to see that.

Burnt at Both Endz
03-26-2014, 06:23 AM
Well, the water heater broke down Wednesday during lunch. By a stroke of luck my equipment repair guy happened to come in for lunch and he checked it out after he ate. He got the bad element replaced and it only cost me a pulled pork sandwich.

And yes, there is a small patio for some tables, plus over an acre of land to use. One of my cooks makes picnic tables and said if I supply the materials he will make some.

Also, one of the area BBQ restaurants suddenly closed today without warning or explanation. I just saw someone mention it and when I talked to my food guy today I asked him what happened since they are his account as well. apparently I was the first to break the news to him because he said he just took an order from them on Friday.

Looks like some possible staff(experienced) looking for a job and you are in need of some more staff. Looks like a good deal for you.

bander7003
03-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Looks like some possible staff(experienced) looking for a job and you are in need of some more staff. Looks like a good deal for you.

Maybe even another smoker or some equipment to purchase.

Slamdunkpro
03-26-2014, 10:12 AM
We've also been discussing moving to table service so that we can keep take-out separate. The system right now isn't working when it's busy. There's a line out the door and some people have already called ahead for pick-up order, others are in line to eat in, and people waiting for their take-out are just sitting in booths or seats waiting for their food so those who do want to dine in can't find a seat even though there may be some available, etc. It's a clusterfark.

Good problems to have, no doubt, but it's certainly something that wasn't anticipated from the beginning.
Table service will slow your table turns considerably. What about curb service for takout? Designate one or two parking spaces for take out and have a staff member dedicated to doing curb service. They call / fax their order in when they pull up the car hop goes out, gets the name (your POS system might even support a mobile device register) pull the order, get payment and send them on their way. Check out an Outback if there is one in the area - they do this process very well.

sliding_billy
03-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Why not a "pickup only" line? I still think you should only take phone orders for a certain amount of money or lbs.

luke duke
03-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Pecan Lodge has a separate "Express Line" where it takes 5-10 minutes vs over an hour. To qualify for the express line you have to order at least 5 lbs of meat.

insaneh
03-26-2014, 10:52 AM
How about a take out window? Keep the inside from getting overwhelmed.

cpw
03-26-2014, 12:11 PM

If there was ever a thing to qualify for "pics or it didn't happen" it would be this.:heh:

jlane
03-26-2014, 12:18 PM
If there was ever a thing to qualify for "pics or it didn't happen" it would be this.:heh:

How true.

defence18
03-26-2014, 12:21 PM

You can keep all your recipes to yourself, but if you keep the Kate Upton pics to yourself, I'm gonna be farkin ticked. You gotta hook a brethren up

SmokenQ
03-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Had the opportunity to eat at The Prized Pig this afternoon. What a great accomplishment!! Food was fantastic (pulled pork and chicken) and the BBQ sauce was well, awesomesauce! You got something going with those baked beans!! Keep up the good service and food! Looking forward to making the trip again!! SmokenQ

Rib Fan
03-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Read the entire thread....took me a few days while I had some breaks, but I can totally relate.
I have friends in Michigan and plan on going down for a road trip in the summer.....after reading this I feel I HAVE to lend my support.
Keep up the great work and all the success in the future....your getting there.
A great friend of mine has a saying "People always tell me how lucky I am...funny thing is the harder I work the luckier I become"

ahawkeyeguy
03-30-2014, 03:52 PM

Take it from many years in the FOH - if you're going to go table service - make sure you're using experienced servers when you start. A good server can help you time your orders - pace a rush - etc. They can also keep an impatient guest a lot happier.

ahawkeyeguy
03-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Forgot to mention - if you're going to hire someone experienced - I would hire them at 1 or 2 bucks over what others are doing. Sounds expensive, yes, but servers are constantly poached and it's good incentive for them to help you out. The extra $$ will come back to you.

Riz58
04-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Bump. Eagerly awaiting once again for the next installment of the weekly adventures at the Prized Pig!!

mchar69
04-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Eagerly awaiting once again for the next installment of the weekly adventures at the Prized Pig!!

It's like the once weekly show on TV.. I gotta say I made Marubozos pickles - and well...
they are all gone! Nice.

mchar69
04-01-2014, 06:26 PM
So, who wants to buy me another smoker?
How much does it cost, how much to run, what % ROI?
$10K? And will that smoker run you into the ground wishing you'd never asked?

mchar69
04-01-2014, 06:27 PM
SHARK TANK SHARK TANK SHARK TANK.
could be epic.

Tha Football Guru
04-01-2014, 09:02 PM
I know it's been posted before, but what's the address and city. I'm in Toledo and I feel like a venture into MI this weekend

DUBBAGA
04-01-2014, 09:05 PM
I know it's been posted before, but what's the address and city. I'm in Toledo and I feel like a venture into MI this weekend

http://www.prizedpigbbq.com/

The Prized Pig BBQ
33331 U.S. 12, Niles, MI
Phone: 269-262-4956

marubozo
04-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Not much to update this week. Last week was relatively uneventful. That means nothing broke down, no major crisis to deal with, etc. Numbers were up again slightly, but again largely capped by capacity issues. I'm getting sick of spending money, but I really need another CVAP. If I had more holding space I could eliminate a lot of the running out of meat issues. Then again, there are occasional days when we can't even keep up with having enough sides coming out of the kitchen, so if it isn't one thing it's another.

The main issue last week though was me hitting my physical limit. On Saturday I was about at the point of collapsing due to exhaustion. My crew finally convinced me to go home and get some sleep, and I did. I need to do that more often because trying to maintain 12-14 hour days isn't going to last.

peeps
04-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Spend the money now while you are far exceeding your projections, IMO, especially if it will resolve some of the sold out issues as that will allow for even better days while things are still bumpin'!

Hopefully with nicer weather coming, you will get to take some fun breaks on the days you are closed. Take care of yourself...

Are you getting close to having someone there that you trust to manage the joint when you can't be there? That would surely help in preventing exhaustion. I know you want to be there at all times since it is your baby, but maybe that person could handle Friday lunch rush and Sunday dinner rush to give you a break on some of the busy days allowing you to come in later for the big Friday night rush and head home after the big Sunday lunch rush.

sliding_billy
04-02-2014, 09:44 AM
For sure, get some rest up front instead of completely breaking down and being out for a long time.

ButtBurner
04-02-2014, 09:46 AM
dont burn yourself out

I owned a car repair shop for 4 years back in the 80's

I was so busy like you I could not see straight.

I finally gave it up, I never wanted to work on another car again.

Actually shortly after that I got completely out of the business.

dont make that mistake.

marubozo
04-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Are you getting close to having someone there that you trust to manage the joint when you can't be there? That would surely help in preventing exhaustion. I know you want to be there at all times since it is your baby, but maybe that person could handle Friday lunch rush and Sunday dinner rush to give you a break on some of the busy days allowing you to come in later for the big Friday night rush and head home after the big Sunday lunch rush.

Oh, absolutely. I've got two people who can and do handle the place when I'm not here. It's just like you said, it's my baby so it's hard not being here and getting my hands dirty all day every day.

Pyle's BBQ
04-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Do you have one person dedicated as a prep cook? Do you have any extra room in your cooler? Two things I would look at if you are running out of sides. One person is in charge of making the sides for the week. You could make the beans, slaw and potato salad on Tuesday to get you through Sunday. On Sunday sides could be made again so you have product for Wednesday. I wouldn't put the red cabbage in your slaw until the night before or the morning of service. Less chance of it turning purple. Not knowing how you do M&C you might be able to have those ready to put on the smoker when needed.

I was like you and did the open to close Thurs-Sun, order on Monday, be there Tuesday to put it away and Wednesday get things ready for the Farmer's Market. It was a tough summer. You are doing more volume. Be sure you take care of yourself. It will do no good if you go down due to exhaustion.

Sparty
04-02-2014, 08:48 PM
I heard several of your commercials today on 96.1 :)

But do you really need to advertise at this point?

landarc
04-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Definitely do not run yourself down that far very often. I did, and over the years it took more and more of a toll. Eventually, you will break down, and that will never be good. Let the folks take a shift here or there, if it is too far to go home, figure out a way to grab a few winks in the car or truck.

marubozo
04-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Do you have one person dedicated as a prep cook? Do you have any extra room in your cooler? Two things I would look at if you are running out of sides. One person is in charge of making the sides for the week. You could make the beans, slaw and potato salad on Tuesday to get you through Sunday. On Sunday sides could be made again so you have product for Wednesday. I wouldn't put the red cabbage in your slaw until the night before or the morning of service. Less chance of it turning purple. Not knowing how you do M&C you might be able to have those ready to put on the smoker when needed.

I was like you and did the open to close Thurs-Sun, order on Monday, be there Tuesday to put it away and Wednesday get things ready for the Farmer's Market. It was a tough summer. You are doing more volume. Be sure you take care of yourself. It will do no good if you go down due to exhaustion.

I do have a dedicated prep cook, and we're already doing all of that. All of the sides are prepped and first thing in the morning we just have to pull from the cooler and throw in the oven, or add dressing to the cabbage and potatoes, etc. We've even usually got 4 pans of corn bread always ready to pull.

But it comes down to space again. We prep as many pans of all the sides we can fit, but both walk-ins are full, the reach-in is full, so the rest of the day is spent prepping to fill everything up again by the end of the night.

I heard several of your commercials today on 96.1 :)

But do you really need to advertise at this point?

Certainly don't NEED to right now, but the radio spots are still working and bringing in new folks from quite a distance away who have no idea we're even here. Pretty much every day someone will come in and say they heard us on the radio and had to come check us out. So it's certainly worth it for now, but it won't be an ongoing thing by any means.

grandrapidsbbq
04-03-2014, 08:02 AM
I am new to the forums and just found this thread. We live in Grand Rapids and are planning a spring trip down the coast to seek out good food and beer...I am definitely adding your place to our list! I am working my way through this entire thread and so far I am very impressed... love to hear you are having success and looking forward to trying out your Q!

NickTheGreat
04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
I had a semester or two in college where I'd routinely go to bed at 2 or 3, and wake up at 6 or 630.

It got to a point where I was technically awake, but almost a zombie. Seemed like I was more likely to get sick and not be able to shake it for a while.

Not good. Your rest is important! :-P

marubozo
04-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Since I know many of you are interested in some of the details about sales and menu item breakdown, I pulled up last week's stats. This is for the 5 days wed through sunday. Could have done a lot more, but sold out at about 6 on Saturday and at 4 on Sunday.

80 brisket platters
105 large rib tip platters
80 pulled pork sandwiches
57 brisket sandwiches
36.7 brisket by the pound
312 soft drinks/tea/coffee
38 pulled pork platters
48 half chicken platters
22 full rack platters
29 half rack platters
27 sausage platters
24 squealer sandwiches
22.5 pulled pork by the pound
18 a la carte rib tips
22 burnt end platters
23 chicken sandwiches
14 pork sampler special
9 a la carte burnt ends
11 sausage by the pound
12 chicken wing specials
5 half chicken wing specials
10 half rib tip platters
8 Friday sausage special
17 kids meals

aawa
04-03-2014, 09:58 AM
You say you could of done a lot more but sold out. From the sounds of all your updated posts you couldn't have done a lot more as you are running at full capacity.

That is great 5 day sales

The problem you have is a great problem to have. Don't let people tell you that you never want to run out of food etc. All restaurants wished they could sell out while running max capacity. The bad problem would be if you were selling out and still had the capacity to produce more.

bander7003
04-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Remember when you had nothing to do all day but wait for contractors and inspectors to return your call... those were the good ole days:laugh:

Really, it's great to see the success of all your time and efforts. I've always wanted my own BBQ restaurant. After following this thread from the very beginning, I now know for certain that I do not have what it takes :crazy:

You've probably saved me thousands of dollars in hard knocks education. The least I could do is travel your way for what certainly must be the best BBQ in the Michiana area.

Remember to take care of yourself. Everyday cannot be a sprint to the finish. Once you reach the burn-out level, it's hard to come back from that.

jketron
04-03-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm so tempted to open something here in So Cal....

THoey1963
04-03-2014, 11:10 AM
I'm so tempted to open something here in So Cal....

Did you really read this whole thread and still you are tempted to open a place???

:doh:

jketron
04-03-2014, 11:19 AM
yes, I'm under no illusion its easy by any means.

meridian8
04-03-2014, 11:42 AM
would it be worth it to reduce the menu to only carry higher margin higher volume sellers?

landarc
04-03-2014, 01:47 PM
So, Rib Tips continue to be a big seller, they look to be your biggest item. That is interesting to me, as they are not an item out here.

marubozo
04-03-2014, 02:24 PM
would it be worth it to reduce the menu to only carry higher margin higher volume sellers?

Nope. On our comment cards people fill out, menu variety is the one thing that we're constantly dinged on. And when we first opened, the menu was even smaller, but people wanted the stuff they are used to getting in the area.

So, Rib Tips continue to be a big seller, they look to be your biggest item. That is interesting to me, as they are not an item out here.

Tips are mostly a chicago area, midwest thing. When I opened I didn't even have them on the menu. I've never been a huge fan and figured people would just get racks instead. Nope. Every other person that came in wanted tips. Had lots of people walk out because we didn't have them. Infact, people will often still walk out if they get here and learn we're out of tips or if they have to wait for the next batch to come off.

Other than all the space they take up on the smoker, I don't mind them now. Unlike ribs and brisket, there's basically zero trimming, so you get to use everything you're paying for. And the price isn't bad, so the margin is pretty good.

Haveuseen1?
04-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Never stop advertising, it is a fatal flaw that many people make. Second once you get to the point that you think you never need to advertise, then raise your prices. You may lose some customers, although you are making a higher margin and the trade off is worth it. After about 18 months, I would take a good look at your menu and see if you can work the 80/20 rule. Where 20% of your items are making you 80% of your money. At that time you can drop some items if you want to. 80/20 is where you want to be.

2Fat
04-03-2014, 04:28 PM
The main issue last week though was me hitting my physical limit. On Saturday I was about at the point of collapsing due to exhaustion.

your health(and your family) are important enough for you to schedule a day away from the business(barring emergencies)---every week!!

Love your sharing of this journey!!

Pete's Meat
04-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Hey, I was just on your website checking out our menu, an under the brisket player it says "I generous serving" instead of "A". Just a heads ups. Unless that's how you guys talk on that side I the country!

marubozo
04-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks for catching the typo. We may talk funny up here, but that isn't included.

And today may be my lucky day. Found a used double CVAP for $800 in Chicago. He said it works, which I'd hope so, but frankly at that price I wouldn't even care if it didn't. My repair guy could fix it up for another $500 and I'd still save about $4k. And all of my hot holding issues would be solved. Wouldn't improve smoker capacity, but it would certainly help me maximize the space I do have in it.

Now I just need the guy to call me back so I can set up a time to go pick it up.

Hawg Father of Seoul
04-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Awesome score on the CVAP.

Are you using rib racks in the SP? Have you thought about finishing some brisket flats in the rib racks. Start them flat then finish on edge... it would give you time to cook more ribs.

Brisket is your biggest seller. You have to add up all the brisket items and also look at your margin.

Another option you now have is grilled chicken on the broiler. Chicken is staying cheap and the margin is evaporating as pork and brisket get more expensive. Just some food for thought (yes I did).

sliding_billy
04-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Sweet deal on the CVAP. Congrats. You deserved some good karma.

HuskerMan
04-04-2014, 09:28 PM

I'm thinking we are all still waiting for pictures. :heh:

Anyways I love following this thread and check in daily. Am I crazy for still dreaming about opening up a small place even after reading this thread?

marubozo
04-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Here's a picture of the best seller. Rib tips with mac and cheese and potato salad.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1623345_584779441617485_425724515_n.jpg

Bperkins01
04-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Yummy :)

marubozo
04-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Last night was quite a test. Had some scheduling issues and it was just me and a cashier from 6 to close. Talk about multitasking.

And I need to hire two more people next week if possible. The way things are going, there are no more "slow" days where we can get by with a relatively light crew, and most of my people are already working close to 40 hours so it's time to get some extra hands in here.

markrvp
04-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Since I know many of you are interested in some of the details about sales and menu item breakdown, I pulled up last week's stats. This is for the 5 days wed through sunday. Could have done a lot more, but sold out at about 6 on Saturday and at 4 on Sunday.

312 soft drinks/tea/coffee

The number of drinks you are selling seems low to me. I was under the impression that drinks are a HIGH profit margin item. Is there a way you can push these? Include with a combo meal?

Countryboyswagger
04-07-2014, 07:53 AM
I might have missed this but where or when can we get a shirt? I live too far away to make the drive, but I'd wear your shirt as a substitute.

cpw
04-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but the rib tips are what's leftover when you cut spares down to St. Louis cut, right? How are you cooking these that they don't end up all chewy (which is what happens when I try to do this)?

bander7003
04-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Here's a picture of the best seller. Rib tips with mac and cheese and potato salad.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1623345_584779441617485_425724515_n.jpg

Everytime you post a picture, it makes my mouth water (and I just finished eating lunch, so I'm not even hungry). I have a sudden hunger for rib tips, mac and cheese and cornbread... that cornbread looks delicious. Is it made from scratch?

slammmed
04-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Can I just say that everytime you post a pic the food looks great but makes the portion size look so tiny. can you post it zoomed in or grouped together to make it at least appear larger?

southernsmoker
04-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Looking good :thumb:, good luck and will keep reading your thread..
www.southernsmoker.com (http://www.southernsmoker.com)

Bbq Bubba
04-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but the rib tips are what's leftover when you cut spares down to St. Louis cut, right? How are you cooking these that they don't end up all chewy (which is what happens when I try to do this)?

Your not cooking them long enough?

Rib tips are the absolute BEST part of the rib! :thumb:

Neil
04-07-2014, 07:04 PM

Catered the surprise 50th birthday party for her dad two years ago. She is a native of St. Joseph, MI and her parents live here so she is no stranger to the area. If she does stop in, you must ask her if the Q is as good as she had at her dad's birthday party!:biggrin: I'm sure she would say yes.:thumb:

marubozo
04-08-2014, 01:21 PM
The number of drinks you are selling seems low to me. I was under the impression that drinks are a HIGH profit margin item. Is there a way you can push these? Include with a combo meal?

Yeah, drinks are a bit low, but not offering tea was a big drink killer. Tons of people would ask for tea, and since we didn't have it, just got water. But we just got both sweet and regular tea set up a few days ago. That stuff is going well.

Also, we started to pick up on some drink stealing. People were ordering water and then filling up with soda or something. But this week we're moving to a two cup system with clear cups for water and different cups that will be handed out at the register for other drinks. That should help keep leakage to a minimum.

I might have missed this but where or when can we get a shirt? I live too far away to make the drive, but I'd wear your shirt as a substitute.

I'm headed to my printer right now and placing a huge shirt order. As soon as they come in I'll post it here and I'll even have a page to order them online.

Catered the surprise 50th birthday party for her dad two years ago. She is a native of St. Joseph, MI and her parents live here so she is no stranger to the area. If she does stop in, you must ask her if the Q is as good as she had at her dad's birthday party!:biggrin: I'm sure she would say yes.:thumb:

Yeah, one of my employees is friends with her dad and said he owes a favor, so we're trying to work something out.

Also got a bikini bike wash in the works. :mrgreen:

HarrynVegas
04-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Bikini Bike Wash! If there are no pixs it didn't happen!

Royalslover
04-08-2014, 03:05 PM
No answer to the rib tip question yet? I'm also intrigued by these. What cut are they?

dadsr4
04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
No answer to the rib tip question yet? I'm also intrigued by these. What cut are they?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2874464&postcount=1605
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2875135&postcount=1609

AdamCSmith724
04-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Hi! Just found this thread and I am really impressed. I am a cook who just lost his job at a bbq restaurant in Alabama. The food was great IMHO but the owners didn't want to advertise we were 1.5 mile from the busiest interstate in Alabama and we had to close after 8 months. So my advice is never stop advertising and try anything once if is low risk. I also have an idea for extra parking without much cost. You said you had a church across the street ask if you could use or rent the lot when they are not having service. And if you rent pay in goods and services if you can instead of cash (probably cheaper) for free advertising. Just a few thoughts from a unemployed cook in Bama. thanks

Neil
04-09-2014, 04:11 AM

You can also buy rib tips by the case or in 10lb. boxes.

kaosfury
04-10-2014, 06:25 AM
You can also buy rib tips by the case or in 10lb. boxes.
Wait... I need to find where you are shopping for your meat. I NEED a 10# box of tips...

:-D

marubozo
04-15-2014, 10:10 AM
You can get larger cases of tips as well. I just ordered 20 30# cases. I've found it's hard to find consistent and meaty tips and have gone through about four vendors.

Had a record Sunday. Usually sundays are pretty slow and it's mostly an after church lunch crowd. Not this weekend. At about 1 in the afternoon the dining room was completely full and there were about 20 more in line waiting to order. After that huge rush it started to feel like a typical Sunday and was slow the rest of the afternoon so I sent everyone home but one cashier. Big mistake. At 6 it felt like the whole town decided to come in.

It was a crazy day. Sold every ounce of meat and every last bit of all the sides. And I don't know why, but I put on 7 briskets for sunday when it's usually just a 3 brisket day. I guess it was just a gut feeling or something, but it paid off.

ShencoSmoke
04-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the update. This thread has been a huge help to me. This fall I will be opening a Friday-Saturday restaurant that will be located in a new brewery. Thanks again for sharing your experience, it has been and will continue to be an important reference for me as I venture into the dark side.

SuburbSlicker
04-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the update. This thread has been a huge help to me. This fall I will be opening a Friday-Saturday restaurant that will be located in a new brewery.

Brethren in NoVA need to know. Sounds like a great fall road trip for suburb leaf peepers....

daninnewjersey
04-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Had a record Sunday....

This is so great to hear....really happy for you.

ShencoSmoke
04-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Brethren in NoVA need to know. Sounds like a great fall road trip for suburb leaf peepers....

It will be in Woodstock, Va. I will provide more details soon. It will not compare to this thread but at some point I would welcome some feedback from the Brethren.

bassmaster16
04-16-2014, 07:51 AM
New to the BBQ Brethren forum. What a great thread, I couldn't stop reading it. Good Luck Jeremy.

smokin jeff
04-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Good luck

marubozo
04-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Just got a call for catering 1000 people this summer. :shock:

Now, to figure out the logistics of that beast.

aawa
04-16-2014, 03:21 PM

Nice! Sounds like you are going to need at least one other smoker or a bunch of UDS's

daninnewjersey
04-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Nice! Sounds like you are going to need at least one other smoker or a bunch of UDS's

This might do it.....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Nvoges
04-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Wow, 1000? Good luck sir.

NickTheGreat
04-17-2014, 08:42 AM
How does one go about catering 1000 people?!?! :shock:

DaveAlvarado
04-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Cook meat, serve meat.

The trick is having room in your smoker and the ability to hot-hold that much meat. :wink:

tommye1078
04-17-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm getting mised up for easter brunch for 700 at the country club Im the chef of. Hot holding is key.

Hoppy
04-17-2014, 09:51 AM

Sounds like a great cook for a bunch or Brethren!

drumdawg67
04-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Great gig Jeremy. Good luck!

DaveAlvarado
04-17-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm getting mised up for easter brunch for 700 at the country club Im the chef of. Hot holding is key.

I'm not a food service pro. Is there a way to rent say a bunch of Cambros with the heated doors? It seems like that would be the only way to reasonably cater for 1000 and keep all the food safe, if catering of that size isn't something you normally do. That way you could spend say 24 hours cooking all the meat and keeping it all held safely long enough. Plus then you've already got everything set up for transport and storage at the catering location, where you can keep refilling those chafing pans.

GrillsGoneWild
04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
You may want to find an event planner or another caterer to help you on this deal. going from never catering to 1,000 people is a HUGE jump. Apparently they want your food, so if you partner up with an event planner and let them deal with everything besides the cooking of the food that may help. Just a thought.

ButtBurner
04-17-2014, 11:55 AM
and dont forget he still has a restaurant to run and cook for

tommye1078
04-17-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm not a food service pro. Is there a way to rent say a bunch of Cambros with the heated doors? It seems like that would be the only way to reasonably cater for 1000 and keep all the food safe, if catering of that size isn't something you normally do. That way you could spend say 24 hours cooking all the meat and keeping it all held safely long enough. Plus then you've already got everything set up for transport and storage at the catering location, where you can keep refilling those chafing pans.

Here in chicago area there are places you can rent from. The big problem is it eats away at the profit margin.

Neil
04-18-2014, 12:49 AM
Maybe you could rent a few pits from Nelson's! :biggrin: (regional inside joke)

Beentown
04-18-2014, 07:13 AM
Brisket and butt would only be the feasible way unless you had a bunch of cookers/holding cabinets. How many pounds does your Ol' Hickory hold.

bander7003
04-18-2014, 07:39 AM

Does it make sense financially to close the restaurant for the day (for a private event) to focus on the catered event? Unless fate smiles on you and the event is on a Monday when you're already closed.

jhuyser
04-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Does anyone have the recipe for the pickles in the pictures on here. I know that it has been posted but after going back I cant seem to find it

THoey1963
04-18-2014, 08:29 AM
Does anyone have the recipe for the pickles in the pictures on here. I know that it has been posted but after going back I cant seem to find it

I can't point you to the post, but I saved it off:

Ok, just because the brethren are so damn awesome, here's my pickle recipe. This is my home sized recipe that makes two quart jars or so.

Ingredients
• 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups white vinegar
• 8-12 cloves of garlic
• 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt
• A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
• 1 teaspoon coriander seed
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 2 Hungarian hot wax peppers

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

jhuyser
04-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks!!!!

marubozo
04-19-2014, 04:48 PM
I think I need to consider putting pickles in mason jars and sell them. People are coming in and ordering pickles by the quart. My staff will kill me though because it already feels like we're a pickle factory. Although I guess I could hire a person or two strictly to come in on Tuesday when we're closed but still here cleaning and taking deliveries, and just do massive quantities of pickles one day a week.

So many things I want to do and need to do, but so little time, and even fewer resources. If this week is any indication of what summer business will be like, I'm screwed (in a good way). This week the smoker has been absolutely at capacity nearly 24 hours a day. During the week we could get away with doing a couple less butts and brisket in the overnight cooks, but not anymore. Now the pit is packed overnight and we're even putting more brisket and butts on in the morning, which then takes space away for all the other meats we already didn't have enough room for.

There are worse problems to have, that's for sure!

Memphis Que
04-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Sounds like you need another smoker.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Sounds like you need another smoker.

Yep, smoker on a trailer, nothing fancy, but a way to also help be mobile for the catering gigs!

Brontoburger
04-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Totally agree on leaving the interior as-is. As long as it's clean and inviting, and it looks like it is. The only "gimmick" you need is great food at a reasonable price.

alane
04-20-2014, 01:18 PM
This week the smoker has been absolutely at capacity nearly 24 hours a day. During the week we could get away with doing a couple less butts and brisket in the overnight cooks, but not anymore. Now the pit is packed overnight and we're even putting more brisket and butts on in the morning, which then takes space away for all the other meats we already didn't have enough room for.

Not sure what your equipment looks like or how often you clean, but make sure you don't get a fire in the smoker and burn the place down!

Toeter
04-20-2014, 06:23 PM
What an adventure! Looks amazing!

marubozo
04-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Don't tell my wife, but a 70" TV is coming to the pig this week. It's going to be epic.

Hoppy
04-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Will your HD Allow you to have a Trailer Pit under some sort of Lean-To or Shelter that could help you out with meeting demands?

mchar69
04-20-2014, 09:34 PM
They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

"The longer they sit, the better they git."
No Lie.

Memphis Que
04-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Don't tell my wife, but a 70" TV is coming to the pig this week. It's going to be epic.

That seems like an awfully big TV for that size space. Be careful that you don't run off any customers with it. I think that most people who go to a restaurant, as opposed to something like a sports bar, go there to eat and not to watch TV.

dadsr4
04-21-2014, 10:05 AM
That seems like an awfully big TV for that size space. Be careful that you don't run off any customers with it. I think that most people who go to a restaurant, as opposed to something like a sports bar, go there to eat and not to watch TV.
They tend to keep me away from some restaurants. Plus, do you really want customers to hang around after eating, filling up your tables watching TV?

crimsonaudio
04-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Agree with both above, not sure why you'd want to add a TV...

GoolsbyMD
04-21-2014, 01:50 PM

Offer up some of that home brew Russian imperial stout to go with that TV and bbq. :boxing:

bwsawman
04-21-2014, 07:29 PM
I would pass on the TV. Our pizza hut just did a remodel and now they have several tvs and it has a sports bar feel to it. It's a cold atmosphere now instead of a nice warm one.
Several people I know like the old place a lot better.

I would spend money to help things go smoother & easier for you instead of $$ on a T.V.

aawa
04-21-2014, 09:30 PM
TV's in dining establishments are ok if there is a separate bar area and enough seating to accomodate people that want to sit for a while.

Seeing as your place has very limited seating, your goal is to turn the tables over as many times as possible, as opposed to making an atmosphere of having people hang out longer than it would to eat their meal. People will sit around for hours on game day taking up tables that other guests will need/want.

delarob
04-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Can I just say that everytime you post a pic the food looks great but makes the portion size look so tiny. can you post it zoomed in or grouped together to make it at least appear larger?

If they ever make an app that allows aroma with the posts, I'm done.

Haveuseen1?
04-23-2014, 10:23 AM
There is a fantastic BBQ place just about 2 miles from my work. They do an unreal amount of business, and it is small. Seating is at a premium, although they do have a little screened in area where you can seat about 20. You might can seat 20 inside, but I dont think so.

They do brisket, pork,ribs,hot links, and chicken. Sides are potato salad, cole slaw, and beans. He has two different pies for desert. You can get sandwhiches or plates. The most popular thing ordered is the 2 meat plate. You get any two meats with two sides, and a drink. The price is $17.39 per plate. He sells out of food every day. Most popular plate is Brisket/Hot link, with potato salad and beans.

Anytime you talke to someone about the place they will say the food is fantastic, but it is expensive. But the thing is they go back time and time again. Point is he turns those tables as fast as possible, and doesnt try to do everything. What he does he does right, and he is seeinig the rewards.

Sounds like you have the same opportunity, and that is great news.

Haveuseen1?
04-23-2014, 10:27 AM
I would guess this is ok to post this link. But it will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g30677-d1979310-Reviews-Chuck_Wagon_BBQ-Madison_Alabama.html

ButtBurner
04-23-2014, 10:43 AM
I agree no TV!!

but I dont think he is reading our posts, he is not replying to any of our comments.

K-Train
04-23-2014, 10:55 AM
The way I read it he already ordered the TV and was about to have installed, so reading posts about it being a bad idea are of little use at this time. Just my $.02

ButtBurner
04-23-2014, 11:00 AM
The way I read it he already ordered the TV and was about to have installed, so reading posts about it being a bad idea are of little use at this time. Just my $.02

its not just that.

no responses to many other ideas and suggestions through out this thread.

Not a big deal. I am sure he is just busy

bigun94
04-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Great thread! I stayed up way to late last night reading it.

I've often been told to open a restaurant but knew it would be a hard go. Nearly impossible for me with no capital.

Reading your thread confirms what I've heard all along you have to have the capital up front and reserves to sustain for a year to make it as a restaurant.

Seems like you've gotten a great start after a miserable beginning. Best of luck!

insaneh
04-23-2014, 12:01 PM
its not just that.

no responses to many other ideas and suggestions through out this thread.
Not a big deal. I am sure he is just busy
He's too busy with the pickle factory. :heh:

Lespauljeff
04-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Great read

marubozo
04-23-2014, 02:47 PM
He's too busy with the pickle factory. :heh:

Hah. Busy doesn't even begin to explain it. We're busier than ever with this warmer weather. Can't wait to get the picnic tables finished so we can get more people in here.

As for the TV, people ask for that every single day. And beer. But it isn't going to be on all the time just showing sportscenter all day or anything. In fact, it's only going to be used when the occasional local game of interest is on, and the sound is always going to be off as to not kill the music mood or anything.

But with people often standing around for 10 minutes or more waiting to order, and then maybe another 10 minutes waiting to pick up their take-out order, giving people something to watch will help, give people something to talk about, etc.

Now, back to work. These pickles won't slice themselves :(

aks801
04-23-2014, 08:57 PM
I've seen this thread in Q-Talk for some time, but had never taken a look. Now have gone through the whole thing over the last couple of days. Feel really glad for you, man! From those initial snafus and delays to the current wonderful issues of capacity and demand: what a roller-coaster.

I know it's only a matter of time until the subject of "a second location" gets serious discussion.

Wishing you continued success and satisfaction!

NickTheGreat
04-24-2014, 08:05 AM
I think a TV is a good idea. Especially for sporting events. :-P

Memphis Que
04-24-2014, 08:27 AM
In response to the TV announcement on Facebook, some guy said, "I may never leave." I think that is going to be your problem. Not sure why you would buy a gigantic TV when your income depends on turning tables, no matter how many people have asked for one, game or no game. I think it is much more likely to result in decreased, rather than increased, sales. Hope it works out for you, though.

Just seems to me that money would have been better spent on another smoker since you still seem to be running out of food on a regular basis. Also, I am surprised that it is taking people at least 20 minutes to order and get their food. No offense, but there is no way that you aren't losing customers with that long of a wait, especially during lunch when most people only have an hour to travel there, order, get their food, eat, and get back to work.

bander7003
04-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Just seems to me that money would have been better spent on another smoker since you still seem to be running out of food on a regular basis. Also, I am surprised that it is taking people at least 20 minutes to order and get their food. No offense, but there is no way that you aren't losing customers with that long of a wait, especially during lunch when most people only have an hour to travel there, order, get their food, eat, and get back to work.

While I'm sure he isn't wishing for less customers or for longer wait times, you can't compare the cost of a TV with adding a new smoker. He is greatly exceeding the projections upon which he based the success or failure of his restaurant. That's great, but it's still early in the process. The cost of a new smoker, not to mention the renovations and work that he'd have to do to put it to use, may be ill advised until he's been open for a while. If people are consistently willing to wait 20 minutes (or longer) for food, then he's obviously doing something right and is focusing on the most critical items.

Everything will right itself over time. He's still the "new place" and is probably still getting new customers who've waited for shorter lines, better weather, etc. I like the idea of a TV to pass the time while waiting. Unless I specifically go to a place to watch a game and drink beer, I personally do not stay at tables longer just because I can see a TV.

As a side note, when the TV is not playing a game/sports center, you could run pictures of different plates/sandwiches that you serve. I never see one of your pictures that doesn't make me hungry. To change things up, you could also run pics of some of your customers or some of the area attractions.

Hawg Father of Seoul
04-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Sure, I would not have bought the TV, but I would have unloaded on some of the comments made here. This is his business so be extra respectful.

Thanks for sharing with. We will always root for you.

daninnewjersey
04-24-2014, 01:43 PM
No offense, but there is no way that you aren't losing customers with that long of a wait, especially during lunch when most people only have an hour to travel there, order, get their food, eat, and get back to work.

Tell that to Aaron Franklin.....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

DaveAlvarado
04-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Tell that to Aaron Franklin.....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Indeed. Doesn't matter how many customers he's losing to wait times if he's running out of Q every day. He could be losing one customer a day or a million customers a day--as long as he's making money and selling out of food, it doesn't matter how many are lost.

sliding_billy
04-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Indeed. Doesn't matter how many customers he's losing to wait times if he's running out of Q every day. He could be losing one customer a day or a million customers a day--as long as he's making money and selling out of food, it doesn't matter how many are lost.

That is not 100% true, though it may be partially true. He is losing the opportunity cost of missing customers. However, that is only true if he can produce and sell more while remaining profitable on the additional customers. There is also the effect that producing more will have on existing business by creating less desire for the product. The whole waiting in line thing and bragging about it is part of what sells Franklins as a brand. I guess what I am saying is that there are a lot of things to consider... cost of adding retail space, equipment, labor, product, utility, etc along with the impact on the brand. It is not as simple as reading a forum thread and throwing the assumption out there that "if you are running out, you should get bigger and make more."

Good luck Jeremy!

Memphis Que
04-24-2014, 02:15 PM
While there is no doubt that Aaron Franklin loses customers who aren't willing to wait in line for hours to eat lunch, he still succeeds because of his track record, reputation, and sheer volume of sales. While I hope that Jeremy someday achieves Franklin's level of success, I think he himself would admit that he is a very long way from there at this point.

In my experience, the Franklin business model of running out of food and turning away customers is the exception rather than the rule, but that doesn't mean that Jeremy can't make it work for him, too.

OneHump
04-24-2014, 04:37 PM
This is, by far, the best thread that I've ever seen on this forum. Congratulations on your amazing business and for having the sack to do what many of us wish that we could.

I noticed that the restaurant only has 7 yelp reviews @ 4.5 stars. I would encourage everyone here to jump on Yelp and help a brother out. Here's the link: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-prized-pig-niles

sliding_billy
04-24-2014, 05:00 PM
This is, by far, the best thread that I've ever seen on this forum. Congratulations on your amazing business and for having the sack to do what many of us wish that we could.

I noticed that the restaurant only has 7 yelp reviews @ 4.5 stars. I would encourage everyone here to jump on Yelp and help a brother out. Here's the link: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-prized-pig-niles

Not to sound like a jerk, but you should not be reviewing a place on Yelp if you do not have a personal experience with the establishment to share.

ButtBurner
04-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Not to sound like a jerk, but you should not be reviewing a place on Yelp if you do not have a personal experience with the establishment to share.

I see Dave G just left one

he's from CA

mchar69
04-24-2014, 06:22 PM
We're talking behind your back, Jeremy.
BTW, the pickles get better with age. 3-4 days.

RevZiLLa
04-24-2014, 07:28 PM
It is Jeremy's business and it is his life too. He will spend a LOT of time there and, if the TV makes life more fun, he deserves it.

marubozo
04-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Interesting to see how interested people are about a cheap refurbished TV.

That's the least of my problems. This week has included theft, missed brisket delivery, underage girls giving me their phone numbers, needing to call the police, towing cars, staff fights, etc.

And that's the tip of the iceberg. If I've learned anything through this it's that you need to have thick skin, take everything people say with a grain of salt, and don't be surprised by anything people are capable of.

In other news, a record Friday today. A local brewery has started a brisket food truck in town for a few hours on the weekend, but don't see that as a concern. And I'm in talks with a local hog farm about possibly sourcing all local pork.

Lots of good stuff happening.

Pyle's BBQ
04-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Is someone from the brewery running it or did they bring in someone to run it for them?

THoey1963
04-26-2014, 12:27 AM
Wait, tell us more about the girls and the phone numbers...

<kidding>

smoke ninja
04-26-2014, 12:34 AM
Bring it on

ShadowDriver
04-26-2014, 01:27 AM
A local brewery has started a brisket food truck in town for a few hours on the weekend, but don't see that as a concern.

I love it, brother... that's like you starting up a mobile brewery to "compete..." You obviously have your stuff in one sock on the barbecue front.

No matter what the staff say, you are The Boss. Kick ass and provide pink slips as needed. If they can't be professional about their duties, they have no business near yours.

Thanks very much for sharing your journey with the rest of us! We're behind you (at LEAST in spirit!) all the way and want you to succeed.

Keep the updates comin'.... even if they only provide you a place to vent before diving back in!

Kind regards,
SD

Crakaveli
04-26-2014, 05:18 AM
underage girls giving me their phone numbers,

what?

sliding_billy
04-26-2014, 08:10 AM
Yeah, we need to hear this phone number story. If I get groupies out of it, I might have to open a restaurant. I'm sure my wife will be OK with it.

marubozo
04-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Oh, you'll get some groupies, that's for sure. A girl wearing a high school cheerleading jacket just walked up and gave me a piece of paper with her name and number on it. I mean WTF? And my staff has said there have been a few ladies in here asking them about my relationship status. There are some crazy people out there.

As for the brewery brisket truck, I'm not sure who they are having run it. They have a small restaurant at their place and have offered some smoked foods for some time now. I'll have to go check it out next week and see how it is.

defence18
04-26-2014, 10:26 AM
No offense, but there is no way that you aren't losing customers with that long of a wait, especially during lunch when most people only have an hour to travel there, order, get their food, eat, and get back to work.

He's also losing customers just by virtue of being a BBQ restaurant because there are people that just don't like Q. Some people are never gonna be happy, and are only content if they aren't happy. It's a fact of life. Anyone who has done one second of research on the Pig knows about the lines, the waits, and the risk of running out of food. Buyer beware.

I, for one, applaud Jeremy for responding to what appears to be continuous requests for a TV. I'm not in his shoes, so I can't say if I would have bought it or not, but the fact that he can turn to his customers and say, "You ask, you receive," is pretty impressive. Sure as hell beats telling a regular that he can't afford having people hang around all day. If I'm the reg, that sends me a clear cut message: I'm nothing but a dollar sign to this guy. And all the evidence I see on the thread and on his facebook page is that Jeremy prides himself on seeing his customers return, not squeezing every dime from them.

Got my fingers crossed that on May 4, I'll make my first stop to the Pig. Heading up to Kalamazoo for a family friend's First Communion. I'm hoping that time permits a detour on the way back. Pretty sure my wife is letting me stop so I'll shut up about having to go there.

Oh and +1 on the pics of your food on the TV.

insaneh
04-28-2014, 06:46 AM
Really looking forward to seeing what the summer brings for you Jeremy.
I whipped out a double batch of your pickle recipe this weekend. Also looking forward to those.

OneHump
04-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Oh boy...

OneHump
04-28-2014, 12:29 PM
I see Dave G just left one

he's from CA

You all should report that one to Yelp, because people from CA aren't allowed to leave, so there is no way that guy could have been there. :mod:

peeps
04-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Oh boy...
I use Yelp when I travel quite a bit and I would hope people are not positively or negatively reviewing places they have never been to just because they read a story about the guy's trials and tribulations with no first hand experience of the establishment...

As such, I see nothing wrong with sliding_billly's post that would warrant this response of your's above.
You all should report that one to Yelp, because people from CA aren't allowed to leave, so there is no way that guy could have been there. :mod:People travel and reviewer's location should not be cause for speculation on the validity of the review. However, I hope you have been there per my comment above.

bander7003
04-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Oh, you'll get some groupies, that's for sure. A girl wearing a high school cheerleading jacket just walked up and gave me a piece of paper with her name and number on it. I mean WTF? And my staff has said there have been a few ladies in here asking them about my relationship status.

Wow... that must be some brisket. I was already in awe of your cooking just by seeing pics but this takes it to a whole new level.:heh:

ITBFQ
04-28-2014, 01:03 PM
As for the brewery brisket truck, I'm not sure who they are having run it. They have a small restaurant at their place and have offered some smoked foods for some time now. I'll have to go check it out next week and see how it is.

Is it Greenbush?

My wife and I will be in Union Pier at the end of June, and we are planning on making a side trip to The Prized Pig. Looking forward to it! Got t-shirts for customers to buy yet?

sliding_billy
04-28-2014, 01:05 PM
You all should report that one to Yelp, because people from CA aren't allowed to leave, so there is no way that guy could have been there. :mod:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you weren't just asking folks who have been there to review the place when you posted this... Operative words "everyone here."

"I noticed that the restaurant only has 7 yelp reviews @ 4.5 stars. I would encourage everyone here to jump on Yelp and help a brother out. Here's the link: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-prized-pig-niles"

marubozo
04-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Is it Greenbush?

My wife and I will be in Union Pier at the end of June, and we are planning on making a side trip to The Prized Pig. Looking forward to it! Got t-shirts for customers to buy yet?

Yep, greenbush with their brisket van. I love their beer, but have never tried any of their food yet. I may go check them out when they are back in town on Friday.

I did have a few people stop in this weekend who did get some brisket there and said it wasn't really good at all. I can't comment on that until I get a chance to try it.

Friday and Saturday were new records. We managed to keep serving until about 7pm, but both days there was pretty much a non-stop line from 5-7. It was pretty intense on the line during all of that.

And I'm finally feeling comfortable to delegate more to my employees. It's quite hard when you're a control freak, but on Thursday I didn't touch a single piece of meat or plate anything. I let them handle it all and just stood back doing some quality control. It felt great, so hopefully I can begin to step back a little so that I can spend more time actually running the business.

Also, I think going forward I'm going to have to look into creating a separate catering side of the business. Given we don't have the cooking and holding capacity to do larger gigs, I'm turning a ton of business away. I'd say pretty much every day somebody calls and wants catering for their graduation/wedding/business/golf outing/etc. Smaller ones I can squeeze in, like tomorrow, even though we're closed I'm throwing meat on tonight for the local Lowe's who wants to feed the store for their big meeting tomorrow.

But as it stands now, just doing all of the catering requests that come in could be a business on its own. But without another smoker and some staff dedicated to handling that side of things, my hands are pretty much tied and can't do anything for more than about 50 people unless it falls on a Monday or Tuesday.

All good problems to have no doubt, but just need to plan how to grow strategically so that the core business doesn't suffer.

Oh, and I had the best reaction to burnt ends I've ever seen on Saturday. This guy who comes in every Thursday for lunch popped in this weekend, when we have burnt ends, so I asked him if he wanted one. He had no idea what it was and was apprehensive about trying it. He put it in his mouth and he said, "Holy ****! WOW. Holy ****! Does the rest of the free world know about these things?" And then bought 5 orders to take home and give out. It was great.

THoey1963
04-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Love his comment... :mrgreen:

dadsr4
04-28-2014, 05:31 PM
"And then bought 5 orders to take home and give out."
Most people have to pay good money for such advertisement. I hope to stop by one of these days on my way to visit my children in Chicago.

Spotu
04-28-2014, 09:57 PM
I cannot wait to get back home & stop in.....My wife is using this as leverage to move us back to Indiana ASAP!!

I have driven by this location so many times & wondered about the restaurants...you...have made it a destination!

BTW: any thought of tapping into the campground as a market?

marubozo
04-28-2014, 10:17 PM
BTW: any thought of tapping into the campground as a market?

I sort of already have. This winter there's been a big pipeline project going on right across the street and the whole campground has been full of pipeline workers for about six months. Took a bunch of menus down there and had daily pipeline traffic coming in.

They just recently pulled out, but when the regular campers come in I'll do the same thing since they are within walking distance. What's better than grabbing some BBQ and eating it by your own campfire?

Memphis Que
04-29-2014, 08:49 AM
I understand the concept of not investing in a new smoker until you can tell if you are going to need one long term, but if you are turning down big catering jobs on a daily basis and still running out of food for the restaurant, it seems to me that you might want to look into getting one. I obviously don't know the details of your finances, but I would think that you could pay for a new smoker just with the catering jobs that you are having to turn down because of a lack of capacity.

This may be what you have in mind when you say you are looking into making the catering a separate business, but until then a mobile smoker and a new part-time employee or two might allow you to take those catering jobs that you currently have to turn away.

marubozo
04-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Well, with more smoker space, big catering gigs, and more food means more storage. My two walk-ins are pretty full as it is. All the dry storage shelves are more than packed and we've had to resort to storing some stuff out in the shed, and even that's nearly full now.

http://i60.tinypic.com/25tkjmr.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/zlqih0.jpg

aawa
04-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Those are some packed meat shelves!

Guando
04-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Well, with more smoker space, big catering gigs, and more food means more storage. My two walk-ins are pretty full as it is. All the dry storage shelves are more than packed and we've had to resort to storing some stuff out in the shed, and even that's nearly full now.

I would like to shop here.... Great job! Love this thread!

ButtBurner
04-29-2014, 12:54 PM
I guess the catered cook for 1000 is out lol

scayne62
04-29-2014, 01:02 PM
well, with more smoker space, big catering gigs, and more food means more storage. My two walk-ins are pretty full as it is. All the dry storage shelves are more than packed and we've had to resort to storing some stuff out in the shed, and even that's nearly full now.

wow!!!

Tricky
04-29-2014, 01:22 PM
To change things up, you could also run pics of some of your customers or some of the area attractions.

If you have one of your employees walk through the tables now and then and take pictures of large groups, that will create some simple slide-show content that you can run on your TV along with shots of the food (the real star). People who return will get a kick out of seeing themselves on your TV -- at least that works for my kids and their favorite local frozen yogurt place.

Just make sure to mention when you're taking the pictures that they are for your TV.

tommye1078
04-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Whenever I have multiple events going on I utilize speed racks in my walk in cooler to accommodate the additional items.

pahutchens
04-29-2014, 02:05 PM
So with the price of meat going up are any of you owners increasing insurance value to cover lost inventory?

marubozo
04-29-2014, 04:04 PM
So with the price of meat going up are any of you owners increasing insurance value to cover lost inventory?

I just renewed my insurance and did bump up inventory loss coverage by a couple thousand. Got a little sticker shock when I saw the price of my brisket this week. :shock:

mchar69
04-29-2014, 05:18 PM
And I'm finally feeling comfortable to delegate more to my employees. It's quite hard when you're a control freak, but on Thursday I didn't touch a single piece of meat or plate anything. I let them handle it all and just stood back doing some quality control. It felt great, so hopefully I can begin to step back a little so that I can spend more time actually running the business.

Good for you AND your employees.

marubozo
04-29-2014, 10:04 PM
So, a couple of back-end updates since I have a little time before hitting the sack and starting another grueling week.

Month to date we've had about 1,600 transactions. Average transaction is 1.8 people. So, not counting all the bulk orders and catering, we've served close to 3,000 people this month. Not too shabby considering Niles only has a population of about 11,000, so it's clear there are a lot of people making a trip out here to stop in.

One interesting thing is that I think word has gotten out about the brisket. It has become the best seller, which is totally what I wasn't expecting since up this far north it's all about pork and ribs and most people don't even know what brisket is. Brisket, in all forms, makes up 25% of total sales. Hell, I think last week I went through 600 pounds of brisket and that wasn't even enough come Sunday.

http://i57.tinypic.com/29c3qkk.png

The other somewhat interesting thing is sales throughout the day. Obviously there's a lunch and dinner rush, but even between 2-4pm business is decent. Especially considering we're out in the middle of BFE and most people will have a relatively lengthy drive to come in.

http://i60.tinypic.com/290zxjb.png

All in all, at the three month mark things have exceeded my wildest dreams. I only envisioned this tiny little restaurant in the middle of nowhere to see a few dozen people a day and I would be happy to just be able to pay the bills by cooking BBQ. Little did I know I'd be creating a monster.

Instead, I'm feeding thousands every month, have regulars who come in almost daily and treat us like a home away from home, and I've already made some lifelong friends because of this venture. It's still surreal.

Those who have read the entire thread know how long and painful the startup process was, and there were many times I thought about throwing in the towel. But I'll tell you this; even with the incredibly long hours, hard work, and exhaustion, every morning when I wake up I can't farking wait to get to the restaurant. It doesn't matter if I'm trimming ribs at 7:30 in the morning or just doing paperwork, I can't wait to do it.

And that is priceless, even with all the stress and financial struggles.

tommye1078
04-29-2014, 10:09 PM
What now have you projected your yearly sales to be?

marubozo
04-29-2014, 10:15 PM
What now have you projected your yearly sales to be?

When I did all of my pre-open planning, I was projecting about $180,000 in revenue. Now, I'd be disappointed if I did less than $600,000. And that's without any further expansion or increase in capacity.

tommye1078
04-29-2014, 10:22 PM
if you don't mind me asking what is your current food to alcohol sales ratio?

I'm glad your doing well and congrats again.

One of these days I'm going to open my place called Meet House it going to be a modern smoke house with a community style atmosphere.

marubozo
04-29-2014, 10:25 PM
if you don't mind me asking what is your current food to alcohol sales ratio?

I'm glad your doing well and congrats again.

One of these days I'm going to open my place called Meet House it going to be a modern smoke house with a community style atmosphere.

We don't serve alcohol. Yet. My wife, who is an attorney, is working with the attorney who is the executor of an estate that has a license for the county. I'd really like to add craft beer to the mix.

moontz
04-29-2014, 10:25 PM
So, a couple of back-end updates since I have a little time before hitting the sack and starting another grueling week.

Month to date we've had about 1,600 transactions. Average transaction is 1.8 people. So, not counting all the bulk orders and catering, we've served close to 3,000 people this month. Not too shabby considering Niles only has a population of about 11,000, so it's clear there are a lot of people making a trip out here to stop in.

One interesting thing is that I think word has gotten out about the brisket. It has become the best seller, which is totally what I wasn't expecting since up this far north it's all about pork and ribs and most people don't even know what brisket is. Brisket, in all forms, makes up 25% of total sales. Hell, I think last week I went through 600 pounds of brisket and that wasn't even enough come Sunday.

The other somewhat interesting thing is sales throughout the day. Obviously there's a lunch and dinner rush, but even between 2-4pm business is decent. Especially considering we're out in the middle of BFE and most people will have a relatively lengthy drive to come in.

All in all, at the three month mark things have exceeded my wildest dreams. I only envisioned this tiny little restaurant in the middle of nowhere to see a few dozen people a day and I would be happy to just be able to pay the bills by cooking BBQ. Little did I know I'd be creating a monster.

Instead, I'm feeding thousands every month, have regulars who come in almost daily and treat us like a home away from home, and I've already made some lifelong friends because of this venture. It's still surreal.

Those who have read the entire thread know how long and painful the startup process was, and there were many times I thought about throwing in the towel. But I'll tell you this; even with the incredibly long hours, hard work, and exhaustion, every morning when I wake up I can't farking wait to get to the restaurant. It doesn't matter if I'm trimming ribs at 7:30 in the morning or just doing paperwork, I can't wait to do it.

Thanks for being so open. This is really interesting to see some of these numbers. When you decide to retire, you could probably take this thread, and write a pretty successful BBQ book with this stuff :) Really fun to read all this.

tommye1078
04-29-2014, 10:28 PM
We don't serve alcohol. Yet. My wife, who is an attorney, is working with the attorney who is the executor of an estate that has a license for the county. I'd really like to add craft beer to the mix.

I hope it works out. alcohol sure is a lot easier to sell than food.

You have strong food sales and I truly believe food sales drives alcohol sales.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-30-2014, 06:49 AM

Hell Yeah, It's so great that we live in a country that a person can dream and with hard work live their dream!

I can assure you, that there's a lot of the brethren that can't wait for updates, we feel just like part of the ride. Thanks....

jamus34
04-30-2014, 06:57 AM
Just want to add (again) this is an awesome thread.

Keep those regulars happy, they're worth $1000's of dollars in unseen advertising.

NickTheGreat
04-30-2014, 08:26 AM

You should start brewing on site and selling that. Then you would really make me jealous! :becky:

marubozo
04-30-2014, 09:21 AM
You should start brewing on site and selling that. Then you would really make me jealous! :becky:

That is phase two. I already brew beer and make wine, so The Prized Pig II would also include an on-site brewery. :becky:

gaspipe1
04-30-2014, 09:58 AM
What a great story.. I have posted a few times to say how much we ALL love this story and I really really appreciate how candor you are with us. I have to agree with one of the brethren who said the catering gigs will pay for the additional smoker. Perhaps you could have a trailer (like a shipping container style) built with a smoker/walk-in fridge combo?

AussieMatt
04-30-2014, 11:33 AM
I already brew beer and make wine,

A man after my own heart! I also brew my own beer and make wine, plus I'm looking at getting my shine on. :thumb:

Wager
04-30-2014, 12:23 PM
That is phase two. I already brew beer and make wine, so The Prized Pig II would also include an on-site brewery. :becky:

That is VERY ambitious. My sister started her own brewery and she spends as much time dealing with that alone as you do your restaurant. Not sure it would be worth tripling your work load. But, if you want any info on costs or anything else about doing a brewery let me know. My sister would be more than happy to talk you through all of her experiences and provide some guidelines on costs etc...

ehs5mw
04-30-2014, 02:38 PM
First post on the site, but man I enjoyed reading this whole thread. It took me a while, but I sure learned a lot from your experience so far as well as what some other posters have added.

Thank you for letting us in on the story.

SmokeHouse Blues
04-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Good luck with it Marubozo! I'll be keeping track of your journey.

Mark70
05-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Great story thanks for sharing. So good to here of a successful business when so many new restaurants struggle. All cow to great planning and a great product I think

Mark

NickTheGreat
05-01-2014, 09:35 AM

Then you are officially the worst person in the world. :boxing:

:mrgreen: :thumb:

marubozo
05-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Movin' on up...

Got the pork samples today from the local hog farm. They can actually beat my current pricing, so hopefully the quality is there. It would be awesome to serve pork that was raised just down the road.

And my food supplier said because of our volume I'm getting on a 2% rebate program.

Have a new employee starting Sunday.

Got a blues band lined up for one of our outdoor summer events.

And most importantly, spoke with Paul Shirley (TuscaloosaQ) about a trailer smoker. Might have that by July.

Oh, and something about catering a tv station's Norte dame football tailgates this fall.

sliding_billy
05-02-2014, 03:33 AM
Awesome news, all of it (esp the part about talking to TQ).

Visioneer
05-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Is your local hog farm an approved supplier by the Health Dept? I know first hand what a pain the health laws in Michigan are.

marubozo
05-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Is your local hog farm an approved supplier by the Health Dept? I know first hand what a pain the health laws in Michigan are.

They are. They supply a few places around here, the biggest being Bell's Brewery.

palmtreefrb
05-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Movin' on up...

Got the pork samples today from the local hog farm. They can actually beat my current pricing, so hopefully the quality is there. It would be awesome to serve pork that was raised just down the road.

And my food supplier said because of our volume I'm getting on a 2% rebate program.

Have a new employee starting Sunday.

Got a blues band lined up for one of our outdoor summer events.

And most importantly, spoke with Paul Shirley (TuscaloosaQ) about a trailer smoker. Might have that by July.

Oh, and something about catering a tv station's Norte dame football tailgates this fall.
Good choice on the Shirley Fabrication cooker :thumb:

marubozo
05-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Now I need to buy a truck...

bander7003
05-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Now I need to buy a truck...

Tax write-off! :thumb:

insaneh
05-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Here you go. Kill 2 birds. Truck and capacity issues
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x444/whosaskin1/Grill_zps8c7bb3a3.jpg

DaveAlvarado
05-02-2014, 11:13 AM
$5 says Paul and Tyler could build one. :-D

insaneh
05-02-2014, 12:04 PM
$5 says Paul and Tyler could build one. :-D
That would be worth losing the 5 to see it made. Feed it with a redwood?

marubozo
05-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Training days are never fun. Especially on a Saturday. Got a new kid to help out on weekends, which will be great once he's up to speed. But today he was just thrown into the fire. Chaos pretty much sums it up, epecially since my right-hand man was off today. The other new person starts tomorrow, so that should be another interesting day.

Sold out a little before 6:30 today. It was an insane early rush compared to other Saturdays. And it's painful to watch all the cars pulling in and turning around when they see the sold out sign this past hour.

Remember all of that meat in the cooler? Yeah, there may not be quite enough to finish the day tomorrow.

One thing I never anticipated through all of this is how you can become a local celebrity almost overnight. And I know it doesn't make sense, but I'm quite an introvert and typically shy away from crowds, so getting into the hospitality industry is the last thing I should have done. But all of the new attention is certainly stressful. Seems like everywhere I go in town people stop me and want to talk. And at the restaurant, everyone can't wait to bend my ear for 20 minutes, invite me to various events, etc. That's a complete 180 of my personality, so that aspect has been tough to deal with.

Oh well. Since my main cook isn't in today I have to go trim brisket myself tonight. It's been a while...

speers90
05-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Training days are never fun. Especially on a Saturday. Got a new kid to help out on weekends, which will be great once he's up to speed. But today he was just thrown into the fire. Chaos pretty much sums it up, epecially since my right-hand man was off today. The other new person starts tomorrow, so that should be another interesting day.

Sold out a little before 6:30 today. It was an insane early rush compared to other Saturdays. And it's painful to watch all the cars pulling in and turning around when they see the sold out sign this past hour.

Remember all of that meat in the cooler? Yeah, there may not be quite enough to finish the day tomorrow.

One thing I never anticipated through all of this is how you can become a local celebrity almost overnight. And I know it doesn't make sense, but I'm quite an introvert and typically shy away from crowds, so getting into the hospitality industry is the last thing I should have done. But all of the new attention is certainly stressful. Seems like everywhere I go in town people stop me and want to talk. And at the restaurant, everyone can't wait to bend my ear for 20 minutes, invite me to various events, etc. That's a complete 180 of my personality, so that aspect has been tough to deal with.

Oh well. Since my main cook isn't in today I have to go trim brisket myself tonight. It's been a while...

Been a while since I checked in, glad to see things are going well. Very happy for you.

Fake Farmer
05-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Marubozo,

I manage a very busy restaurant for a well known name. Smiling and connecting with customers is just part of the job, and you're serving delicious Q...everyone thinks you've got 20 minutes to sit down with them :blah:

I also understand the pain of training. Someone may show they can work hard, but they're just not up to speed and the rest of the team is getting fired up as well. If you hired the right person, they'll step it up!

Keep up the good work, friend!

Crakaveli
05-04-2014, 08:46 AM
since the weather is getting warmer up there you will be slammed. good problem to have compared to the alternative.

marubozo
05-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Sold out of burnt ends in less than 30 minutes after opening. That's a new record.

And the excitement never ends here as we had to play first responders while in the middle of prep. Heard a loud screech and then saw a car rolling at the corner. So we all ran out there to check on everyone and call 911. Luckily, it was just one guy and he was able to crawl out of the wreckage with only minor injuries. Still scary stuff!

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/10325233_10152443158669248_2549768056198695745_n.j pg

sliding_billy
05-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Damn, that look scary. Must have been trying to get to the burnt ends.

vmastros
05-04-2014, 01:42 PM
It's great to live vicariously thru you. I live in So Cal and I'm tempted to go to MI to see what the fuss is all about. I hope the restaurant business is everything you hoped it would be. Congratulations!

marubozo
05-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Well, today is just the day of records I guess. Sold out of burnt ends in 30 minutes, and at 3:30 we're out of pork and brisket. Down to a couple chickens, a pound of sausage, and a handful of rib tips and that's it. Bright side is I'll get to go home early today I guess.