PDA

View Full Version : New Toy - Need Advice - Traeger....

LMAJ
05-17-2013, 04:57 PM
This shows up today...

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m329/LMAJ/FA43BA74-3B0A-48C8-AE08-6F880079D9C3-2903-000001F7AE9FBB5B.jpg

Apparently I need to take Al's credit card away from him... or do I???
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgr een:

So - now what the heck do I do with it??

cowgirl
05-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Great score LM! I vote ya keep it! :mrgreen:

Richard_
05-17-2013, 05:21 PM
lower the china hat to about a 1/2" above the pipe and start smokin

Gore
05-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Sure looks shiny!

williamj
05-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Wow, lucky you....start your smokin :thumb:

bbqbull
05-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Congrats on the new addition.
My buddy is a dealer and cooks tons of food with those things!!!

SA_Scorpio
05-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Very nice LM, Gratz!:icon_smile_tongue:

MS2SB
05-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Plug it in. Fill the hopper with pellets. Turn it on. Fill with food.

I was given one of these about 2 years ago. I absolutely love it, the only suggestion I would make is to purchase a digital controller for it, about $70. It will give you a lot more control and let you cook in the range you're comfortable with.

I find myself using it a ton because it's so convenient, whether you want to cook something for 15 hours or 15 minutes, you flip the switch and are good to go.

LMAJ
05-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Thanks ^^^^ That's what I'm looking for.

Anyone else have any tips for a Traeger?

Al Czervik
05-18-2013, 06:09 AM
purchase a digital controller for it, about $70. It will give you a lot more control and let you cook in the range you're comfortable with.

+1 on this... Also line that drip bucket with foil, and wad up a big ball of foil and stuff it in the bottom of the exhaust stack to somewhat restrict the amount of smoke that goes up the stack. Also keep in mind it's like a convection oven so cook / smoke times are a lot quicker than you may be used to. Have fun and welcome to the club! :mrgreen:

IamMadMan
05-18-2013, 06:21 AM
Nice unit.

I agree on the digital.. It lets you set a specific temperature instead on an approximate preset.

LMAJ
05-18-2013, 06:29 AM
Thanks for all the responses foiks... a few questions came to mind...

Is there a hot spot on the side where the controler is? Can I really only use the right half of this thing?
We are going to break it in today with a fatty and some ribs... :-)

Al Czervik
05-18-2013, 06:54 AM
Is there a hot spot on the side where the controler is? Can I really only use the right half of this thing?
We are going to break it in today with a farry and some ribs... :-)

There is a bit of a hot spot directly on top of where the firepot is, but not a huge deal. Also, the edges of the grate on the long sides tend to run a bunch hotter due to the air recirculating up from the bottom. As far as the right side question, I have never found that to be the case. Some people also use firebricks below the deflector to help minimize temp fluctuations between the feed cycles, and some people also gasket around the lid to help keep smoke in... I don't do either but probably should. :loco:

NorthernMN
05-18-2013, 07:08 AM
I have the lil tex and I have upgraded to the digital controller which helps a lot with temp control. Lower the hat on the exhaust and cook in the center of the grates for even temps. Also get the shelf rack from cabelas I think its on sale there so you can do three racks of ribs at once but you will have to rotate them because the top will run hotter.

IamMadMan
05-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Give us your findings on the smoker.
I personally think mine did a great job for many years.

If anyone else has been looking at a Traeger Smoker, now is the time to buy;
click here -> Traeger Payment Plan (http://www.traegergrills.com/payment-plan)
You can span your payments and get free shipping on a Traeger...

Nice beginner smoker with digital controls.

LMAJ
05-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Give us your findings on the smoker.
I personally think mine did a great job for many years.

If anyone else has been looking at a Traeger Smoker, now is the time to buy;
click here -> Traeger Payment Plan (http://www.traegergrills.com/payment-plan)
You can span your payments and get free shipping on a Traeger...

Nice beginner smoker with digital controls.

Big Al got ours from Cabela's - it was on sale, they had 12 months same as cash financing, and $5.00 shipping. There was an $18.00 freight charge.

nucornhusker
05-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Try lots of different brands of pellets. There are much better and less expensive brands of pellets out there than just Traeger pellets.

Congrats, you will use it a ton.

Ron_L
05-18-2013, 03:13 PM
There is a recent thread on here about pellets. I use BBQrs Delight. They are a good balance between heat, flavor and low ash. Just make sure that you are using food grade pellets, NOT heating pellets. Heating pellets can have impurities in them and the machinery is lubricated with machine oil.

It you want to try grilling, get some Grillgrates. The traegers don't get hot enough to get a good sear. But you have other ways to grill.

For ribs, cook at a straight 270, but for the big meats start out at 180 for a while (4 hours is good) to get more smoke, then kick the temp up to finish.

K-Barbecue
05-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Just start making some of the best Q you've ever had the easy way. Congrats !

nucornhusker
05-18-2013, 10:34 PM
There is a recent thread on here about pellets. I use BBQrs Delight. They are a good balance between heat, flavor and low ash. Just make sure that you are using food grade pellets, NOT heating pellets. Heating pellets can have impurities in them and the machinery is lubricated with machine oil.

It you want to try grilling, get some Grillgrates. The traegers don't get hot enough to get a good sear. But you have other ways to grill.

For ribs, cook at a straight 270, but for the big meats start out at 180 for a while (4 hours is good) to get more smoke, then kick the temp up to finish.Ron is right, I should have been more clear. Pellets like BBQr's Delight, Lumberjack and Cookin'Pellets (and many others) are good smoker pellets. Stay away from heating pellets. They are very cheap, but there is a reason for that.