PDA

View Full Version : Going on vaca. Meat prices in Maui?

halfasian
05-17-2013, 02:15 PM
So the whole family (MIL FIL BIL's SIL's 5 nieces), 18 of us total, are going to be staying in Kapalua, Maui in condos next month. We'll be there for a week. Trying to get an idea of meat prices out there. Obviously I won't be taking my own equipment, and I would assume the BBQ's (grills) available at the rentals will be some cheap gassers.

Is there a decent place to grab meat in Kapalua or nearby? Or should I plan on loading up at the Costco near the airport? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always guys (and gals).

Also, should I take my own rub? I have the SM lot, 3eyez, Yardbird, and Oak Ridge Santa Maria. If you could take just one, which would you take?

Dingodile
05-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Go to the Costco. It's our first stop every trip. They have an outstanding selection of fish, so I would certainly pack a rub you like on fish. However, be ready for high prices on everything.

twinsfan
05-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Take the Santa Maria. I think it's nice on fish, the one time I tried it.

landarc
05-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Why not go local? Get some stuff there and fool around with it.

or this...Aloha (http://alohaspice.com/catalog/seasoning.htm)

You will find all sorts of local product and marinades in Hawaii. Another good thing is to use A'laea salt from Hawaii. We used to marinade steaks and chicken with beer, then season with that salt and pepper and grill it. Great stuff