PDA

View Full Version : Cowpooling

MeatyOakerSmoker
05-17-2013, 12:38 PM
I know this topic came up once before but since it's been a few years it's worth asking again.

Anyone have any experience with "cowpooling"? I decided I'm going to buy a fore quarter from a farmer and wanted to see if anyone else has done this.

DerHusker
05-17-2013, 01:02 PM
I have no experience with it but I believe they aren’t really great swimmers and would really mess up the pool. :caked: :bounce::behindsofa:

Teamfour
05-17-2013, 01:12 PM
I could probably fit three cows in my truck, but I have never seen any cows working downtown.

kaosfury
05-17-2013, 01:28 PM
I buy a split side about once a year. I'm not sure what kind of deal you have worked out, but I like the split because I can get all kinds of cuts.

Teltum
05-17-2013, 01:55 PM
I looked into it and it seems like a decent deal, but only if you go through a lot of ground beef.

I a fair amount of ground but not enough to make it worth a half or a quarter of a cow.

Pyrotech
05-17-2013, 02:13 PM
If I had the room I would buy a side of Beef. Growing up my family would buy a side of Beef, and a hog each year to fill the freezer.

lack of freezer space is the only thing stopping me

MeatyOakerSmoker
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
I buy a split side about once a year. I'm not sure what kind of deal you have worked out, but I like the split because I can get all kinds of cuts.

I got grass fed beef, front quarter, for about $3.50 a pound. I would do a half cow but that's serious freezer space.

I looked into it and it seems like a decent deal, but only if you go through a lot of ground beef.

I a fair amount of ground but not enough to make it worth a half or a quarter of a cow.

I was worried about that a bit but at $3.50 a pound I can hardly get grass fed ground beef for that much around here!

dwfisk
05-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Never heard of cowpooling but I assume it means sharing a buy among friends an that I'm familiar with. IMO, two folks can share a side of beef and each will get a fair mix of cuts.

While we are here, let me put in a plug for supporting your local youth agricultural fair. Kids (usually 4H or FFA) raise steers and hogs to the highest standards of production and you can get some really super quality while supporting our agricultural youth and (usually) get a tax write-off! I raise my own steers, but I'll still buy a steer and a hog every year - it just feels good and the BBQ is always great!

MeatyOakerSmoker
05-18-2013, 01:18 PM
The 4-H tip is interesting. I'll look into it but I live in NJ so I'm not sure how many of these agriculturial fairs are going on around this concrete jungle.