PDA

View Full Version : My Sister's Sensitive Palate

Oink Oink
05-17-2013, 11:10 AM
My sister is going to be having dinner with us and she has always had a very sensitive palate. She claims to not like the bbq that my dad cooks on his kettle using a minion or snake method. She says it upsets her later that night. However she claims to like the bbq that our cousin makes for our family reunions (he uses a stick burner, not sure what brand, to cater parties and such).

I should have planned something else for dinner but the way things have worked out (long story) I am making pork spare ribs. :doh:

I have used some form of 'minion' method for several years with results that satisfy my wife and kids but for my sister I was thinking that I should try something else. I will be using a Weber Kettle.

I pulled out my old Cooks Illustrated Grilling/BBQ book and they have you:

light a large chimney starter filled a bit less than halfway with charcoal briquettes (about 2 quarts, or 40 coals) and allow to burn until covered with a thin layer of gray ash. Empty the coals into one side of the grill, piling them up in a mound 2 or 3 briquettes high. Keep the bottom vents completely open. Place 2 (3 inch) wood chunks on top of the charcoal. Put the cooking grate in place, open the grill lid vents completely, and cover, turning the lid so that the vents are opposite the wood chunks to draw smoke through the grill. Let the grate heat for 5 minutes and clean it with a wire brush.

Position the ribs over the cool part of the grill. Barbecue, turning the ribs every 30 minutes, until the meat starts to pull away from the bones and has a rosy glow on the exterior, 2 to 3 hours. (The initial temperature inside the grill will be about 350 degrees; it will drop to 250 degrees after 2 hours.)

Remove the ribs from the grill and wrap each slab completely in aluminum foil. Put the foil-wrapped slabs in a brown paper bag and crimp the top of the bag to seal tightly. Allow to rest at room temperature for 1 hour.

In the past this method bothered me because of the higher temps at the start of the cook but with all the talk of hot and fast bbq I was wondering if this might work out fine with less potential off flavors for the sensitive palate?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Teltum
05-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Does your dad use easy light? I would use lump charcoal (all natural hard wood) if she has a sensitive pallet (she might be tasting one of the carbonized binding agents).

Oink Oink
05-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Does your dad use easy light? I would use lump charcoal (all natural hard wood) if she has a sensitive pallet (she might be tasting one of the carbonized binding agents).
He typically uses Stubbs briquettes (supposed to be hardwood) started in a chimney. I know he keeps lump around but uses it for grilling mostly. I know he is reasonably familiar with waiting on clean smoke before he puts the meat on.

I was thinking that I should use lump but I don't have a lot of practice using it for bbq.

landarc
05-17-2013, 11:57 AM
I think lump is the way to go, and keep the vents open. This makes it a little tougher to do the cook. Those instruction will work fine, the ribs end up more grilled than smoked. I suspect she is reacting to something in the briquettes.

Although, it could also be that your cousin is just getting a cleaner draft and the smoke elements are more subdued. Perhaps try cooking with no smoke wood, over a lump fire.

Bludawg
05-17-2013, 12:04 PM
She is getting ingestion from incomplete combustion or over smoking or both. Use the Lump go easy on the wood, Keep it Sweet Blue, and Cook a little hotter 275 +, it is far easier to keep a Small Hot fire than a long burning low temp one.

FormulatedFire
05-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Maybe she is just trying to tick your Dad off?

My wife has noticed a difference when I change from different types and brands of charcoal. She still likes the food just notices a variation in taste.

Oink Oink
05-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I think lump is the way to go, and keep the vents open. This makes it a little tougher to do the cook. Those instruction will work fine, the ribs end up more grilled than smoked. I suspect she is reacting to something in the briquettes.

Although, it could also be that your cousin is just getting a cleaner draft and the smoke elements are more subdued. Perhaps try cooking with no smoke wood, over a lump fire.
maybe I should use less charcoal for lower temps and then add lit lumps as needed?

CI said it would get up to 350 at the beginning do you think this will still be true with lump?

I hadn't thought about not using any wood. hmmm it might not be a bad idea considering her sensitivity... Might be less enjoyable for everyone else... But that might just work.

Oink Oink
05-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Maybe she is just trying to tick your Dad off?

My wife has noticed a difference when I change from different types and brands of charcoal. She still likes the food just notices a variation in taste.
HA! That might be true :0 But for my own sake I was trying to appease her!

John Bowen
05-17-2013, 12:09 PM
I might suggest you find out if there are different rubs / sauces between your relatives. I know that if I eat certain spices in the evening (without taking a pill) I will have a rude awakening. It has little to do with the fire and more to do with the “heat” factor in the seasonings.

Oink Oink
05-17-2013, 01:02 PM
I might suggest you find out if there are different rubs / sauces between your relatives. I know that if I eat certain spices in the evening (without taking a pill) I will have a rude awakening. It has little to do with the fire and more to do with the “heat” factor in the seasonings.
Ahh thats something I hadn't thought about :twitch:! That probably should have been the first thing I investigated.

HankB
05-17-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm with landarc and John Bowen. Smoke some up with no rub and no smoking wood. Serve with sauce, S&P on the side and she can season to her taste. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how good the ribs will come out and your sister will appreciate your efforts in meeting her preferences. (I know that's not always normal for brother and sister ... :twisted: )

Teltum
05-17-2013, 01:22 PM
I am allergic to MSG (Accent) and I feel like death after eating it. A bunch of commercial grill spice blends use MSG so I can't touch most of them (have your dad check his spice blend). It could be an MSG allergy becuase for the people that don't die from it get bad headaches and nausea. Which fits your sisters complaints...

Oink Oink
05-17-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm with landarc and John Bowen. Smoke some up with no rub and no smoking wood. Serve with sauce, S&P on the side and she can season to her taste. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how good the ribs will come out and your sister will appreciate your efforts in meeting her preferences. (I know that's not always normal for brother and sister ... :twisted: )
Yeah as kids we didn't see eye to eye very often but I only see her a few times a year now and we tend to have a pretty good time. Aside from the palate thing we have surprisingly similar tendency's now-a-days... weird huh.

Oink Oink
05-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I am allergic to MSG (Accent) and I feel like death after eating it. A bunch of commercial grill spice blends use MSG so I can't touch most of them (have your dad check his spice blend). It could be an MSG allergy becuase for the people that don't die from it get bad headaches and nausea. Which fits your sisters complaints...
Yeah MSG can be pretty nasty to lots of folks. I'm pretty sure he uses Magic Dust on pork and some mixture of open pit cooked with all sorts of stuff for the sauce (my sister says she likes the sauce). I will have to look into that.

Teltum
05-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Open Pit is MSG free (I can eat it and I don't get sick.)

A good read on Magic Dust:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/66177/dixie-dust/20

I am not an expert on this but - the 17st Magic Dust does supposedly contain MSG in the orignal recipe.

Oink Oink
05-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Open Pit is MSG free (I can eat it and I don't get sick.)

A good read on Magic Dust:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/66177/dixie-dust/20

I am not an expert on this but - the 17st Magic Dust does supposedly contain MSG in the orignal recipe.
very interesting. I think I remember reading in Mike Mills book that he never used MSG because it upsets so many folks. Although lots of that book seem to fall under the 'tall tales and outright lies' (just as the title clearly states). Thanks for the link!

Edit: Not to say that the book is bad. I have enjoyed many of the various recipes it contains.

RevZiLLa
05-17-2013, 09:16 PM
I think she's adopted...

garzanium
05-18-2013, 01:23 AM
im no expert by any means, but do suffer from acid reflex or heartburn when I eat certain bbq. I want to blame it on the wood. I know my inlaws cook with all mesquite wood,so perhaps avoiding lump from mesquite may help. I have been to certain bbq joints where I get it, but that maybe to them not keeping their vents open. im perfectly fine and can eat Tons of bbq I've cooked with oak:biggrin1:

Oink Oink
05-18-2013, 08:19 AM
I think she's adopted...
:razz: