PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to add a chimney?

Scuba-que
05-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I've got a cooker made from an old fuel tank that has worked quite well for me with direct heat charcoal. It has an adjustable vent (like those on a Weber grill) on each end. I'm adding a smoker box to one end of the tank. Should I also add a chimney to the opposite end for better air flow? Or will the vent suffice? If a chimney is a good idea, is there an optimal diameter and length? I'm just getting into smoking, so this may not be my first dumb question. Thanks!

Bludawg
05-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Add a Stack you will need the added draft to keep a Good Clean Fire.

DownHomeQue
05-17-2013, 03:33 PM
What you are doing is sort of like my grill.. dimensions and pics please! would be glad to help!

DownHomeQue
05-17-2013, 03:35 PM
in general if i were you i would modify the intake.. and put it below grate level.. opposite the side of the Vertical exhause/smoker box... and go with ample exhaust out of the smoker box in.. ie.a 5 or 6 inch pipe.. that will draw the heat and air that way.. i'm reaching here because i don't know the specs of your current grill.. so.. need those.. to answer correctly

dwfisk
05-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Add a Stack you will need the added draft to keep a Good Clean Fire.

^This

smokeinthenoke
05-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Definitely add a smoke stack. What size tank is it? Mine is a 275 gallon and I used two 4" stacks, 43" each. It provides a near perfect draft with my firebox and reverse flow design. I would check out Feldon's pit calculator for volume measurements to match what you're building.

Scuba-que
05-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Attempting to post two pics of what my cooker looks like at the moment. Not quite as sexy as some of yours....yet. It was made from a (approximately) 275 gallon tank. The door near the bottom of one end is where I plan to put the fire box. I want to replace the vent on the tongue side with the chimney, and then one day a smoker box like DownHomeQue.

rob_stang2000
05-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Love the farm use plate!
I would use that on my Farm.