PDA

View Full Version : Maverick 732 on Horizon Classic

Bgoods
05-16-2013, 11:41 PM
I recently picked up a Maverick thermo system, and while the flat cables work well on my Kamado Joe, I'm curious how others run their cables on a Horizon or other offset steel door cookers. Maybe I'm paranoid, and even though the cables are flat, the weight and flex angle of the door seem like they will damage the cables. I have some extra KJ felt gasket I was contemplating putting around the door, but what say you?

Thanks

J'ville Grill
05-17-2013, 01:21 AM
I'd be paranoid too Maverick thermos are famous for having probe issues.

ButtBurner
05-17-2013, 04:53 AM
I just close my probe wires on the door

the issues with the probes usually have nothing to do with the wires themselves.

ajstrider
05-17-2013, 07:35 AM
I normally drill a small hole or two in my grills and use a grommet or fitting in the hole. It is a very small hole and while it is hard to do it to a new grill, it is very useful. You do it on the side or somewhere out of the way, put a little shelf or something to hold the controller on the side and it is all good. While this is a little bit large, and may take away from the looks on a nice smoker, it allows you to put several probes through the same hole...

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/031857/031857490935lg.jpg

You can find it at your local chain home improvement store in the electrical isle, it is called a NM/SE cable connector. I use the 3/4" size and drill a 1" hole to make it fit. I then put a 3/4" conduit nut on the back side to secure it to the grill. There are several small grommets that will do the trick and not detract from the good looks of such a nice smoker.