PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Jewbecue

cameraman
05-14-2013, 07:25 AM
When I left Long Island 40+ years ago the only thing I missed was deli (well maybe good diners too.) When I landed in the South and discovered barbecue that emptiness was filled. When I learned how to make pastrami, well bliss doesn't begin to cover it. Not to mention the love and respect I've earned from fellow ex pats hear in Nash Vegas. With that said, here's the latest outing.

I picked up three flats after St. Patricks day. They were reaching their expir date and Sunday was absolutely beautiful so I got to work --

I rubbed them with a variation of Sir Porkalot's pastrami rub --

http://www.dacamerawork.com/food/pastrami_may_2013/patrami%20%202013_02.jpg

They spent most of the smoke at around 250 and I let the fire climb slowly to 275. I pulled them at an internal temp of about 175.

http://www.dacamerawork.com/food/pastrami_may_2013/patrami%20%202013_07.jpg

They looked pretty good at that point.

http://www.dacamerawork.com/food/pastrami_may_2013/patrami%20%202013_40.jpg

After the meat was done I opened the WSM up wide to clean the grate. There was a lot of heat in there and I thought wtf I'm grilling veggies for a chopped salad.

http://www.dacamerawork.com/food/pastrami_may_2013/patrami%20%202013_16.jpg

http://www.dacamerawork.com/food/pastrami_may_2013/patrami%20%202013_23.jpg

Excuse the styling but listening to the grunts of satisfaction from our dinner guests messed with my mind and I just had to grab the money shot as fast as possible and dig in.

http://www.dacamerawork.com/food/pastrami_may_2013/patrami%20%202013_33.jpg

Thanks for looking!

NickTheGreat
05-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Mmmmm. I love making corned beef and am going to try pastrami too. My goal this summer/fall is to make my own sauerkraut! :drama:

TroyA65
05-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Wow, Nice!

Mark
05-14-2013, 09:32 AM
How was the salt level? Without soaking out the salt in can be a little salty for my tastes.

MJ_Tenn
05-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Howdy neighbor ! That looks really good and those veggies looked tasty as well.

deguerre
05-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Beautiful!

Talk amongst yourselves...

OK, all better now. So, when did Nash Patch become Nash Vegas?:becky:

Wampus
05-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Man, I GOTTA do that. Looks killer.

"Jewbecue" :laugh: :pound:

criffaaa1
05-14-2013, 09:45 AM
looks fantastic I'd hit that.

Bludawg
05-14-2013, 10:01 AM
The next time I make the Pilgrimage to the Volunteer I'll shoot you a PM, I want a plate just like that one. I'm an Insatiable Strami Slut ( just can't ever seem to get enough):becky:

DerHusker
05-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Yummy! :hungry:

smokainmuskoka
05-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Oh yeah!

cameraman
05-14-2013, 10:14 AM
How was the salt level? Without soaking out the salt in can be a little salty for my tastes.

I soaked it for two days and changed the water 4 or 5 times

Howdy neighbor ! That looks really good and those veggies looked tasty as well.

Did I hear you folks got an outpost of Martin's up there. Damn good Q.

Beautiful!

Talk amongst yourselves...

OK, all better now. So, when did Nash Patch become Nash Vegas?:becky:

Have you walked lower Broadway on a Saturday night? Kind of like the strip in Vegas only a little more back woods. :wink:

The next time I make the Pilgrimage to the Volunteer I'll shoot you a PM, I want a plate just like that one. I'm an Insatiable Strami Slut ( just can't ever seem to get enough):becky:

It's waiting when you get here dawg.

Thanks for the kind words folks.

fingerlickin'
05-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Looking good Dave, I'll bet it was great on a long roll too. :thumb:

deepsouth
05-14-2013, 01:33 PM
wonderful.

BobM
05-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Great looking sammy! :hungry:

cameraman
05-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Looking good Dave, I'll bet it was great on a long roll too. :thumb:

I'm usually a traditionalist, but Publix makes the BEST damn hoagie rolls I've ever had, bar none.

deguerre
05-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm usually a traditionalist, but Publix makes the BEST damn hoagie rolls I've ever had, bar none.

I have to admit I'm a rye guy (With seeds) all the way, but I do wish we had Publix here. Closest one is in Florence, AL.

Titch
05-14-2013, 08:03 PM
I would love a plate of that. Looks very nice mate

williamj
05-14-2013, 08:45 PM
That looks great! I moved here from NJ almost 12 years ago and haven't looked back. Like you I miss the diners and delis. We could make a killing here just opening a deli FWIW

code3rrt
05-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Fine looking grub right there!

KC

Big Bears BBQ
05-14-2013, 09:09 PM
You did good ....

beercuer
05-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Oh my ..., Now we're talkin'! Stunning work with the strami, Dave! Gotta luv that "Sir Porkalot's" name. Reminds me of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons referencing "Sir Loin of Beef" and "Sir Osis of Liver." :rofl:

cowgirl
05-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Looks delicious Dave!

MS2SB
05-15-2013, 11:21 AM
I want some!

befree1231
05-15-2013, 11:28 AM
That looks amazing. Noshville is a pretty decent jewish style deli in Nashville.

befree1231
05-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Not to hijack, but I guess this thread wouldn't be a terrible place to ask, what are the best BBQ restaurants in Nashville? I'm spending a lot of time there recently and haven't heard much about the Que.

FremontSmoke
05-15-2013, 11:47 AM
That looks GREAT! I want to try that.

cameraman
05-15-2013, 11:57 AM
That looks amazing. Noshville is a pretty decent jewish style deli in Nashville.

I'm convinced that Noshville is an antisemitic plot to undermine my people's food creds. :evil: :doh: :cool:. They use rounds for corned beef and pastrami, a mortal sin in my book. They're also a little stingy compared to traditional NY deli portions. That said their tongue isn't bad, their chicken soup and matzoh balls is respectable as is their whitefish salad. Their omelets aren't bad either.

Not to hijack, but I guess this thread wouldn't be a terrible place to ask, what are the best BBQ restaurants in Nashville? I'm spending a lot of time there recently and haven't heard much about the Que.

Jacks has ok Q and it's convenient to downtown. If you want some Q that's worth traveling for hit up Martin's BBQ joint 20 min south of N'ville in Nolensville. Pat Martin has received a lot of national attention. My meals there are always humbling experiences.

deguerre
05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm convinced that Noshville is an antisemitic plot to undermine my people's food creds. :evil: :doh: :cool:. They use rounds for corned beef and pastrami, a mortal sin in my book.

:shock:

HERESY!!! BURN THEM!!! (I do like a little pastrami with my fat though I will admit...and I always use the point and don't trim much at all)

Jacks has ok Q and it's convenient to downtown. If you want some Q that's worth traveling for hit up Martin's BBQ joint 20 min south of N'ville in Nolensville. Pat Martin has received a lot of national attention. My meals there are always humbling experiences.

It was your recommendation that took me to Martin's. It made the whole week in Nashville worthwhile.

gtr
05-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Very nice work sir! :clap:

Between sampling Big Mista's pastrami and seeing this, I'm feeling an inexorable pull towards trying this myself.

befree1231
05-15-2013, 01:25 PM
I've just had breakfast at Noshville and they do that pretty well (I crack up that they call latkes hashbrowns though) I went to Jack's yesterday cause I was downtown, pretty decent, just wanted to see if there was something better around. Martin's seems to be the consensus, so I'll take a drive out there before I go back to VA. Thanks!

kaosfury
05-15-2013, 01:41 PM

I read all of Martin's blog on starting up that joint. He stopped writing in it a couple years ago. Really need to get down there some time and sample his grub.

Higgledy
05-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Nice! What about the bread down south? They can't it right like NY bread.

WareZdaBeef
05-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Am I the only one who finds the thread topic a bit racist?:tape:

deguerre
05-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Not if the OP is Jewish.:becky:

J-Rod
05-15-2013, 05:14 PM

Oh come on now don't get all sensodyne on us, he's only making a joke.

Aside, that sammich looks awesome! Nice job.

cameraman
05-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Nice! What about the bread down south? They can't it right like NY bread.

There's a bakery in town called Bread n' Company that makes a very fine seeded rye. Publix seeded rye is also very good. Both places will slice it to your desired thickness. It's been ages since I've been to NY so I honestly can't say how it compares. When pressed I'll buy a package of Arnold's Jewish rye and feel no regret.

I guess I could have said Tennessee Jewishbecueish but it doesn't have the same pizazz. BTW, we're not a race we're a religion. Actually I think the whole concept of race is a bit dated. (I do get your point though.)

Oh I should have mentioned: I steamed the flat for two hours before serving. It was extremely moist and tender.

Banjoe
05-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Looks great brother! Congrats.

Ron_L
05-15-2013, 07:20 PM

Mod Note:

Thank you for looking out for us! Please use the report post button if there is something that you think is a rules violation instead of posting in the thread. (read the rules, first, of course :-D).

In this case, the rules say...

Next:
We have an international demographic.
Racism, slurs, prejudice, bigotry, vulgarity is FORBIDDEN. We are a BBQ group with friends around. You have NO IDEA who is in the room until u meet them. Common decency and common courtesy overrules freedom of speech in this forum. Period. You attack another member or group, your are out of here.

We've already established that Judaism is a religion, not a race, but we can extend the rules to include religious slurs as well as racial slurs and I don't think anyone will argue.

But, in this case, the word Jew isn't being used as a slur or in any derogatory way. Also, based on Cameraman's post above, he is Jewish, so I doubt that he would be slurring his own religion (If I'm wrong, Cameraman, please correct me).

Finally, even if he weren't Jewish, the use of the word Jew in a non-derogatory manner is a fairly common occurrence. The mod team spotted the thread title as soon as it was posted and did a little research. Based on that research we decided that no slur was intended so we let it ride.

As an example of our research, take a look at this article about the Long Island Kosher BBQ Championship.

http://likosherbbq.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Kosher.pdf

Look at some of the team names...

Bar B Jew
Grilled to Meat Jew

Pretty clever, and they use the word Jew and are not derogatory.

Happy Hapgood
05-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Mighty Fine Sir!

cameraman
05-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Ronelle, I appreciate the effort you made in reviewing my post. I knew the title was provocative, but like you I thought it was in bounds and a bit of a hoot if I say so my self. As to your question, clipped and Bar Mitzvah'd. So we're good to go. :pray:

Mark M
05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Wow, that looks good. Can you provide instructions for how you did it from start to finish? I've never done pastrami or corned beef. You've got me wanting some now. Thanks.

WareZdaBeef
05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
In case nobody noticed, I was razzing the OP. But he made a good point about it being a religion and not a race. (im not jewish) But I always heard people call skinheads racist when using the term "jew" or make penny jokes being racist. So if there not racist does that make them religist?:razz:

BBQchef33
05-16-2013, 01:04 AM
So if there not racist does that make them religist?:razz:

:doh:

Desert Dweller
05-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Sweet!

deguerre
05-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Ronelle, I appreciate the effort you made in reviewing my post. I knew the title was provocative, but like you I thought it was in bounds and a bit of a hoot if I say so my self. As to your question, clipped and Bar Mitzvah'd. So we're good to go. :pray:

Knowing it was you I literally cracked up laughing when I saw the thread title.:mrgreen:

cameraman
05-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Wow, that looks good. Can you provide instructions for how you did it from start to finish? I've never done pastrami or corned beef. You've got me wanting some now. Thanks.

I picked flats that were the biggest in the bin and had the best marbling. I also chose a brand that had the least salt. After debagging the meat I rinsed them and put them in a pot with water. Over the next two days I changed the water four times. I see where someone adds cubed potatoes to the water to help draw out the salt. That seems like a good idea and I might try that next time.

There are a number of pastrami rubs on this site and through the google. I used Sir Porkalot's rub, reducing the salt a by about 20% and addubg a little thyme and a little granulated garlic powder. I also boosted the ground coriander because it is, to my palate, the root of the pastrami flavor profile. I've looked for coriander seeds to grind but haven't been able to find them locally. I may bite the bullet and mail order them.

I rubbed the flats the night before the smoke and let the sit in the fridge. Because of my schedule I chose to start my cook around mid day with a service time of 8 pm. That worked out fine. I pulled the meat out when I started the fire in the WSM. I used a full ring of Kingsford comp briquettes with a depression in the center to which I added about a dozen or so lit briquettes. I added about three fist sized chunks each of apple and hickory.

The first couple of hours I ran the fire at about 250 or so then ramped it up to about 275 for a couple more hours. I pulled the meat at around 175. I put two flats in a cold oven for an hour or so to rest before sticking them back in the fridge over night. They were vacuum sealed and stuck in the freezer the next day.

I steamed the third brisket in a dutch oven for a couple of hours. I sliced it right out of the steamer for sandwiches like they do in NY delis. Hope that helps.

Search pastrami on the site and you'll find a couple of other approaches to this.