PDA

View Full Version : BGE or Custom?

cmcadams
02-22-2006, 06:35 PM
I've been planning on building a pit from scratch, with several ideas for different things from what I've seen, pluse the fun of having a trailered pit. Today, though, I found out I may be able to get some BGE's at cost from the manufacturer... Which would you do? I'm waffling between 2 XL eggs and waiting on the pit, or just going with the new pit.

Dakaty
02-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Both, of course

The_Kapn
02-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Paging Ray--DRBBQ--where are you???? :lol:

He is our resident BGE expert.

TIM

thirdeye
02-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Curt,

I have large & small BGE's that I am really fond of. 2 XL Eggs would have a lot of square inches and you could run two completely different cooks. They can hold six butts each. Regarding the XL, it sounds like there were some hinge problems on the early ones that have been corrected with a new spring hinge, so make sure they come with that. I have only heard comments that the plate setter for the XL has shorter legs, so it is shallower than the ones used on the large. In the green forum, they have rules about comparisions between brands, but you should be able to ask XL owners about any of the features etc.

Dr BBQ who is a poster here and over there may also be of some help. I'm not sure but he may even have an XL in his arsenal of Eggs.

Bill-Chicago
02-22-2006, 07:13 PM
LOL
I was going to mention that we also have the dancing pepper and a BGE owner/expert, but he beat me to it.

rookiedad
02-22-2006, 07:29 PM
i also read that the bge pays for itself in charcoal savings in a short period of time due to its burning efficency.
phil

Kevin
02-22-2006, 07:32 PM
If I had a chance to get a BGE I'd dive on it. But still. Me caveman, need fire and smoke. No help there I know.

Jeff Hughes
02-22-2006, 07:59 PM
I love my Eggs...

Total different animal from a stick burner...

If I were to only have one cooker in my back yard, it would be an Egg...

Two Xls is a lot of real estate, and gives you the opportunity to cook at two totally different temps at the same time.

I've never cooked on an XL. You might go to to the Egg forum and see what some owners have to say. I think Dr BBQ checks in there quite regularly.

Many Egg owners like units of different sizes if they own more than one(The bigger the egg, the more difficult to transport)...

Regards--Jeff

drbbq
02-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Well, it depends on you. Some guys love to build their own whatever, and some are content buying a great piece of equipment.
I'd rather let someone else build it so I can get cooking on it.
I love the eggs and nothing cooks better. You'll never regret buying them at any price.
You'd be surprised how much food you can cook on a large. I'd probably get a large and an XL. Be sure to get platesetters for both and a couple grid extenders.

Welcome to the cult.

gargodale
02-23-2006, 05:16 AM
How are you managing the purchase at BGE's cost? Whom do you ask for such a deal? Any ides why BGE does not include info on the XL on their web site or in their printed literature?

I'm considering a BGE, FEC100, Stumps or Spicewine unit (maybe multiple BGE's). any thoughts on these?

drbbq
02-23-2006, 07:11 AM
The BGE website is due for a serious upgrade and it's coming.

nmayeux
02-23-2006, 08:13 AM
How hard is it to move the eggs when competing? Are they hard to secure during transport? Also, I liked the look of those Primo smokers, but I guess they are the same thing.

cmcadams
02-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Some consulting is being done for the manufacturer... My dad is getting a huge Frontgate grill at about 1/9th the retail price. I am leaning toward going a year with eggs and seeing how that goes, and taking more time to design and build a towable.

When I started barbecuing, I was happy with my chargriller (added a second, too). I still like them, and I liked that I got to play with the fire. I've gotten pretty good at knowing how long the fire is going to pump out the right temps, etc, and thought the set it and forget it types would be no fun.

Now I can see that setting up something at 10pm and just going to bed would be a good thing. I don't mop, so it wouldn't do anything but allow the food to cook without me interrupting anything, and I may decide all I need in the long run will be BGEs... though there's still something about designing and building a cool stick burner!