PDA

View Full Version : BGE Advice

Subzerogriller
05-09-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm entered in a small local comp this Saturday. Just a small rib cook-off, about 20 teams or so. The catch: it's hosted by a pool/spa/outdoor equipment retailer, and you have to use their BGE's for the cook. Kind of excited about the prospect, but wondering if any of you BGE owners can give me some advice on techniques and whatnot. From what I understand, they work similarly to WSM's in that it's mainly vent controlled, but I'm curious if cook times are typically shorter, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

CharredApron
05-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Its all the same time and temperature. It's the cook not the cooker! Good luck!
Jed

Jason TQ
05-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Yeah I control my Egg with the bottom vent just like my WSM. I find the Egg is even easier to lock and hold temp. Say I want to cook at 250 I will have the bottom vent wide open to about 200 then close it till it is only about an inch open and then watch it climb up slowly and then keep nudging it closed as the temp gets closer to 250. The bottom vent may only be open a quarter of an inch or so once locked in. I have the XL so the mileage may vary on another size, but you get the idea.

teej
05-09-2013, 02:44 PM
I've never cooked on a egg, but if it's anything like other Kamado's, bring it up to temp slow and don't overshoot. It's a whole lot easier to raise the temp than to lower it.

fingerlickin'
05-09-2013, 02:51 PM
If the temps get up to high on you just keep an eye on the edges of the ribs where the plate setter ends. They can get a little over done on the tips that way.

deepsouth
05-09-2013, 03:16 PM
you will have zero problems IMO.

when you get the daisy wheel set, if you orient it this way, it won't move everytime you open your egg.....

top view

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/deepsouth1970/0c0c65af.jpg

back view with lid open

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/deepsouth1970/fccba683.jpg

front view

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/deepsouth1970/1e864d19.jpg

line the screws up from front to back.

Teltum
05-09-2013, 03:23 PM
General Kamado information:
+1 on don't over shoot your target temp.
Don't use lighter fluid.
I find controling with the top vent is easier and allows for the smoke to exit get fresh smoke in (plus it is a little easier for fine tuning).
Bring a large pizza pan (cheap) and a drip pan (cheap will work), heat diffusior and a drip pan, if the squeezins ignite you can't get the temps lowered back down quickly.
Bring your pit probe to make sure of where you are at (sure they are egg bi-metal, but they are still bi-metal).

There are a few dedicated groups dedicated explicitly to kamados. The most important thing you should know is starting and getting the cooker to temp. I own a kamado, I watch the thing like a hawk when it is starting for a smoke and my kamado can take 30+ to come up to temp. After that I ignore it and go watch tv or what ever while the meat cooks and my ET732 tells me it's time to pull it.

Now. If you nod off and someone opens your dampners, burp the cooker as you open it. Kamados can reach 1000 degrees plus, if you do not burp properly at high temps there can be a flashback.

All the really basic stuff a person may want to know about a kamado cooker.

Subzerogriller
05-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I was planning on a drip pan filled with water to double as the heat diffuser. Is this a good idea or bad?

Plaid Palace
05-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I was planning on a drip pan filled with water to double as the heat diffuser. Is this a good idea or bad?

To be honest with you on all of my Kamado Joe cooking I have never needed a water pan for anything more than to keep things less messy. No water needed in the pan.

Do you have a pizza stone? That would be a great diffuser.

Grabnabber
05-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Water pan not necessary if you have the platesetter in there IMO.

Subzerogriller
05-09-2013, 04:21 PM
I believe they will have the platesetters, so maybe I don't need to worry about the water pan at all...just a drip pan to make things easier to clean up, I guess?

Plaid Palace
05-09-2013, 04:55 PM
I believe they will have the platesetters, so maybe I don't need to worry about the water pan at all...just a drip pan to make things easier to clean up, I guess?

I don't know anything about comp cooks but I would almost assume so. Even a drip pan isn't necessary as the plate setter will clean itself during the next cook.

Either way if you have a pizza stone or something else that you can use as a deflector I might bring it just in case.

Sierraslick
05-09-2013, 05:50 PM
I find that if you slowly bring the temp up slightly over your target, let it stay there and then lower it to the desired temp, it locks on to that temp better. Example, if you want 275 ease it up to 300, leave it there for 10 minutes and then tune it back to 275. It will lock in there for the whole cook

CharredApron
05-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Inspite of all the great feedback with relation to the need for a water pan, I use one religiously. The BGE and my Vision Kamado ceramic cookers claim that they are not necessary due to the design and composition of the egg shaped pit and the tightness of their seal. I have found, in my experience, that the water pan contributes to a more even heat distribution throughout the cook cycle. There are many here that will dispute this, and to each his own. Once I found the right combination of fuel types, venting, and learned to let the cooker settle into her own, I had it licked. As in finger lickin' good!

I wish you only the best, as IMHO it's a challenge to cook on an unknown cooker. Be patient and listen to the previous posts. These ceramic cooker are hard to bring back down in temp. But on the other hand, don't be afraid to kick her into gear at the beginning.

Jed

fingerlickin'
05-09-2013, 06:52 PM
I would see if I can get some more info on which size egg you'll be using and if you'll have a platesetter or not.

I just load up the lump, light a couple spots with a torch or lighter cubes and throw a couple of chunks on the lit areas, the egg is usually just about the right temp by the time I get thin blue.

dad311
05-09-2013, 07:23 PM
I've never cooked on a egg, but if it's anything like other Kamado's, bring it up to temp slow and don't overshoot. It's a whole lot easier to raise the temp than to lower it.

+1, I agree.

Subzerogriller
05-10-2013, 12:04 AM
I was able to get some more info. It will be a Large BGE, with the platesetter. They provide the cooker and the fuel (Lump, wood chunks are on your own). I'll be using a couple chunks of cherry. Can't tell you how much I appreciate all the input; this is going to be a challenge, but it's gonna be a LOT of fun!

Subzerogriller
05-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Oh, one more question: does wind affect a BGE the way it can a WSM? It's supposed to be very windy on Saturday...

Devildog
05-10-2013, 04:06 AM
Yes it will,you may want to face the egg away from the wind. You will have the vent closed a little more.

GreenDrake
05-10-2013, 04:07 AM
Oh, one more question: does wind affect a BGE the way it can a WSM? It's supposed to be very windy on Saturday...

Nope, ceramics are essentially weatherproof all purpose cookers. I have maintained temps in every type of condition with mine. Getting a Big Joe this summer to match my Classic KJ.

shirknwrk
05-10-2013, 05:24 AM
I wouldn't overshoot and try to bring it back down. Once 130 lbs. of ceramic gets hot, it stays hot. Air temp. inside the cooker may drop, then shoot up briefly after you open it but will return to previous temp. Use a remote thermometer at grid level if you have one. When using a plate setter, the dome temp will be 10-15° hotter than grid temp. This difference will minimize as the cook progresses.

shirknwrk
05-10-2013, 05:29 AM

Wind will only affect the temperature if it is blowing into the lower vent. It will supercharge the cooker. You can turn the cooker or simply close the lower vent more to compensate.

LMAJ
05-10-2013, 05:39 AM
Be careful about cooking on that Egg, it may just get you to wanting one! :biggrin1:

I don't put any water in the drip pan, and in fact stopped using a drip pan. Now I just get some heavy duty foil and fold it in half then turn all the sides up to keep any drips in, and place that on my plate setter. Depending on how long your ribs are, they may hang over the plate setter some, and if you make this "boat" the right length, part of it can overhang the plate setter the same place your ribs overhang and give them some protection from direct heat.

deepsouth
05-10-2013, 07:01 AM
i'm sure there are nearly as many ways as there are people....

regarding overshooting your temp at first...... i only light my egg in the middle of the lump and i leave it open for about 15-20 minutes or until the center of the lump begins to turn white. with the bottom vent still all the way open and the top opened about half way, i close it and see what temp it comes up to in a couple or so minutes. if doesn't move much, i open it back up for, say 10 more minutes and then try again.

i can't foresee a way you will have any problems using this.

Teltum
05-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Yeah a dip pan on the placesetter will make clean up a breeze. No need for water. Should be a fun cook.

Subzerogriller
05-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks, guys! The contest was crazy. 20 teams, and we literally had every season on display during the cook: We had sun, wind, rain, and even snow. Wind was so strong it almost took the big party tent down; a bunch of us had to run and grab posts and reset them so it didn't collapse. It was a lot of fun, though. We finished 6th, which I'm pleased with considering we'd never used a BGE before, I was cooking with someone I don't usually cook with, and we used a sauce recipe that we developed literally 8 hours before the comp. Got some great comment cards from the judges too. All in all, a pretty successful day, and as usual I owe a lot of that to the Brethren. There were teams that had NO idea how to use an egg (the team two over from us had theirs running at close to 1000 degrees early on, thankfully it was before they put their meat on), and I probably would have struggled a lot more if not for your great advice. :hail:

JMSetzler
05-13-2013, 12:04 AM
I have quite a few cooks under my belt with ceramic kamados now. Some of the things you need to be aware of here have been mentioned. I personally don't see a need for a water pan in a kamado. These things heat evenly by nature but to each his own on that topic.

As for over shooting your temperature, its NOT a big deal on a ceramic kamado UNLESS you let it get high and don't do something about it within a reasonable amount of time. The ceramics dont heat up as fast as the cooking chamber for obvious reasons. Until the ceramics start to get hotter than you want its relatively easy to bring the cooking chamber temp back down by simply closing a vent. I have done several experiments to improve my process and one of them has been just the opposite of what is being said here.

For instance, if I want to cook at 300 degrees, I'll start the fire in my fire box and let the dome temp come up to 350 or 375. At that point, I'll open the lid, put in my heat deflector (or plate setter in your case), grill, and the meat I want to cook. When I close the lid, the introduction of the cold platesetter, grill, and food will cause the temp to stabilize back down around 250/275ish and then I can just spend a few minutes watching the temps and tweaking the vents.

Since the ceramics do take a while to stabilize as they absorb heat, you will need to watch it for 45 minutes to an hour after you put your food on. Once the ceramics do stabilize, you will find that it will be rock solid at that temp for a long time unless its windy.

martyleach
05-13-2013, 12:16 AM
I have a large BGE which is my go to for ribs. I use lump. Put large pieces in the bottom and gradually put smaller pieces as you move your way up. I scatter several pieces of small smoking wood throughout the layers.
Make sure the bottom vent is wide open and the adjustable vent on the lid is removed.
I make 2 holes equidistant from the center of the coal basket and put a BGE lighting thingy in each hole. They probably won't give you those so bring a MAPP torch or something like that to light them or the spot around the holes. Wait about 10 minutes until you have several nice flamey spots.
Close the lid of the BGE for 5 minutes or so. Put the adjustable vent on top with the vents in the open position. Close the bottom about half way. As the temp approaches 250, start closing off the bottom vent. The top vent will be within about a half an inch from closed to hold 250.

I cook ribs (spares, not babybacks) for 4 hours at 275 without foil, spritzing frequently after the rub has become firm. Or I cook at 275 until the rub has set and it looks pretty. Then I put in foil, bone down, with a little Peach Nectar (about 5 oz). Wrap the foil till airtight. Cook till toothpick tender. During the last 20 minutes I warm up whatever sauce I am going to use. I then sauce the ribs and let it glace until it is a Mahogany but not dark color. Pull them and let them rest for 15-20 minutes. Time to eat!

Teltum
05-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Congratulations on your 6th place! Hope to see a big first place next year for you!

slo-ryd
05-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Congrats on you're first egg cook!
I've cooked quite a bit with and without a drip pan, and I've always had better results on ribs and butts, using a drip pan. I partially fill it with a mixture of apple juice/cider vinegar and water. I foil the rack where the plate setter doesn't cover to keep from burning the ends and sprits the meat hourly with the same mixture that's in the pan. I've never experiences an noticeable temp increase on a windy day.