PDA

View Full Version : WSM Foiled Water Pan

BobM
05-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Yeah, yeah I know, ad nauseam, but here is my story, not a question. :grin:

When I first started cooking on my 18 1/2" WSM, I used water.
After about a year, I moved to a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan, which for me, worked better than using water.
I got a 22 1/2" WSM and continued to use a clay flower pot base.

Being one of those that just can't leave it alone, I did a cook today with just the foiled water pan, no clay flower pot base.

Guess what?

Yep, almost no difference.

Without the heat sink, it seemed to respond faster to vent adjustments. Once I got it dialed in, it parked just the same as with the heat sink.

I like the way the WSM handles with a foiled water pan without a heat sink. Going forward, this is what I am going to use.

criffaaa1
05-04-2013, 11:00 PM
I've only used a foiled pan since day one. I start my 22 with a 1/4 lit chimney a full charcoa basket she locks in at 275* and I let err roll, welcome to the club.

LeafMan66_67
05-05-2013, 05:39 AM
I used water for the first couple of cooks ... hated the cleanup. I love the ease of cleanup using the clay saucer. I wrap that sucker in foil so it acts like a drip pan. After the cook, let 'er cool down and toss the remains into the municipal green bin.

Gasket
05-05-2013, 06:26 AM
I've only used a foiled pan since day one. I start my 22 with a 1/4 lit chimney a full charcoa basket she locks in at 275* and I let err roll, welcome to the club.

What he said.

Smoking Bruin
05-06-2013, 09:39 AM
I used water for a couple of cooks when I first got my WSM. Too much of a hassle for me. Didn't like the cleanup either. So, I've been using a foil pan since and haven't looked back. IMO, just so much easier. I can still maintain the temps I want to and that's all that matters.

SPRfree
05-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Bob I was going to experiment with sand or clay saucer...guess I should just pass go and. Collect 200 dollars

PatAttack
05-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Foiled pan only here, too. Works like a charm!

NickTheGreat
05-07-2013, 07:32 AM
I did my first cook with a full pan. I started my second one and couldn't get it up to temp. So I dumped the water out and cooked fine (which made a MESS in the bowl). I then did the foiled clay saucer and never looked back :grin:

JONESY
05-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Yep, I used water once. If you start a small fire and manage your vents, you don't need a huge thermal mass to slow things down.

DLR
05-07-2013, 07:40 AM
No water, no sand ,but I do use a steel disk in my pan. What ever works best right.

Smoking Westy
05-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Bob - I recently joined the ranks of foiled water pan as well. I tried it on a few shorter cooks (chicken, pork belly for bacon and then ribs). I've had great success with dialing in the temps and cleanup is much easier.

I haven't done an overnighter yet with a pork shoulder or brisket but that is next on the list...well next on the list after the 30 pounds of bacon I'm smoking mid-week :shocked:

PaPaQ
05-07-2013, 08:52 AM
I will have to give that a try, Thanks

Danny B
05-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Does not using the clay saucer shorten the time the WSM stays up to temperature?