PDA

View Full Version : Source for Pecan?

ZBQ
02-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,
Does anyone have a good source for pecan chunks?

Thanks,
Neil

The_Kapn
02-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey guys,
Does anyone have a good source for pecan chunks?

Thanks,
Neil
How many you need?
We burn pecan for firewood here :lol:

TIM

qman
02-20-2006, 05:42 AM
How many you need?
We burn pecan for firewood here :lol:

TIM

Yep, everyone on my home turf in South Georgia does the same thing. When we go up there, I always go around and steal pecan from all my relatives woodpiles. Cepting of course when we are on the moto-cycles:-D

BOT, Z, do you have a grill and barbecue store anywhere near you. They usually can get pecan, if they do not stock it. Otherwise, you may have to order from the web to get a steady supply.
Course if you got a pick up trip and want to make a road trip, some Brethren might find you some pecan in Georgia, or Texas, or someplace like that

CharlieBeasley
02-20-2006, 06:15 AM
Follow a hurricane in Florida.

Neil
02-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Hey Neil,
Look around locally for some Beechnut. I've been told it is very similar to pecan when smoking meat. I have a friend who found one down on his property and he is going to cut it up for me in return for some good Q! Sure hope it is true because beechnut trees are far more available up north.

ZBQ
02-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Hey there Neil!
Are you talking about American Beech? We have those up here. They get REALLY HUGE!! I have seen many in the 6-7 foot in diameter(cross section) range.
Kind of a smooth light gray bark and are prone to being hollow.
Neil

thillin
02-20-2006, 04:35 PM
I know 2 sources of pecan for brdbbq. :biggrin:

If you were closer, I could hook you up.

I think I have a tree down to go cut if I find the time.

Kevin
02-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Hey Neil,
Look around locally for some Beechnut. I've been told it is very similar to pecan when smoking meat. I have a friend who found one down on his property and he is going to cut it up for me in return for some good Q! Sure hope it is true because beechnut trees are far more available up north.

Neil, let me know if you get a chance to try that Beech. I've got 3 big beech trees that are leaning from some strong winds that should come down.

brdbbq
02-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I know 2 sources of pecan for brdbbq. :biggrin:

If you were closer, I could hook you up.

I think I have a tree down to go cut if I find the time.

Yep I know them farkers

Neil
02-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I'll post a report on the beechnut as soon as I try it.

Ron_L
02-20-2006, 08:05 PM
If you get to the point where you are going to buy some, try Hawgeyes (http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/BBQ-Woods.html). I've stopped by their store a couple of times and brought wood back. Its clean and seasoned. No complaints! They also have a good selection of rubs and sauces.

Mark
02-21-2006, 01:04 PM
You might want to consider pecan trees
:-0

qman
02-21-2006, 05:50 PM
You might want to consider pecan trees
:-0

Mark, linear thinking at it finest. Amazing that no one else thought of that.:rolleyes:

ZBQ
02-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Mark,
Unfortunatley pecan TREES do not grow any where around Ohio that I am aware of.

If anyone knows of where pecan grows close to here, let me know.

Thanks,
Neil

Kevin
02-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Mark,
Unfortunatley pecan TREES do not grow any where around Ohio that I am aware of.

If anyone knows of where pecan grows close to here, let me know.

Thanks,
Neil

They can grow there, but I don't think it's common. Here's a zone map from National Arbor Day Foundation.
http://www.arborday.org/trees/treeguide/TreeDetail.cfm?id=107

Gatordawg
02-21-2006, 08:33 PM
We have Pecan Trees in Tennessee... Don't know if they are very common in Kentucky or not... Might ask your local Garden Shoppe they might be the best of help...

Mark
02-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Sorry I couldn't resist that blinding flash of the obvious.
We got pecan in STL. Hickory is very close. You got that don't you?