PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Practice (pic)

joshcary
05-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Brisket is by far my weakest area, so I've decided I need to practice more! :)

Trimmed up a Creekstone Prime, injected with my "super-secret" off the shelf injection (Butchers Prime Dust) and rubbed it down with Plowboys Bovine Bold. I'll worry about injection/rub combos later, just need to spend more time trimming (did a mediocre job this time, which is better than my awful job last time) and cooking. We'll see how it goes!

I'll post more pics later, but here's a pic of the flat on my YS480.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/atbbq_josh/brisket_practice_zpsdc39cec3.jpg (http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/atbbq_josh/media/brisket_practice_zpsdc39cec3.jpg.html)

GrillsGoneWild
05-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Are you cooking up just flats or whole packers?

joshcary
05-03-2013, 01:08 PM
I took a whole packer and separated the flat and point. You can see the point sticking out a bit in the pic on the right top.

Bludawg
05-03-2013, 01:11 PM
I took a whole packer and separated the flat and point. You can see the point sticking out a bit in the pic on the right top.

:tsk::crazy:

joshcary
05-03-2013, 01:14 PM
I just do what Andy Groneman of SoW taught me! It seems to work for him... :)

cholloway
05-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Who said you have to cook the flat & point as one whole piece?

Bludawg
05-03-2013, 02:40 PM
I just do what Andy Groneman of SoW taught me! It seems to work for him... :)
WHO??? never heard of him:noidea: There are many threads on "why was my brisket dry I cooked a Flat." Among the many responses there will be at least one response "It is easier to cook a Whole Packer, it is more forgiving" IMO separating the two muscles is counter productive as it makes the process more difficult than is needs to be while increasing the chances of less than great Brisket. To each his own if it works for you fine go with it.

joshcary
05-03-2013, 04:15 PM
WHO??? never heard of him:noidea: There are many threads on "why was my brisket dry I cooked a Flat." Among the many responses there will be at least one response "It is easier to cook a Whole Packer, it is more forgiving" IMO separating the two muscles is counter productive as it makes the process more difficult than is needs to be while increasing the chances of less than great Brisket. To each his own if it works for you fine go with it.

He's the Pitmaster of Smoke on Wheels and the current Chest to Chest National Brisket Champion.

Bludawg
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
He's the Pitmaster of Smoke on Wheels and the current Chest to Chest National Brisket Champion.
OH that Guy,.... Still never heard of him or that team or Sanction I guess I'm just unimpressed and under informed :|:playball:

joshcary
05-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Unimpressed and under informed?

My diagnosis would have been uptight, but then again, I'm not a proctologist so what do I know. :thumb:

CarolinaQue
05-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Unimpressed and under informed?

My diagnosis would have been uptight, but then again, I'm not a proctologist so what do I know. :thumb:

That right there was funny...I don't care who you are!!!:laugh:

CarolinaQue
05-03-2013, 07:49 PM
BTW...just keep doing what you're doing. It's only BBQ, there are many ways to get there from here!!!

BigBellyBBQ
05-04-2013, 02:01 AM
Bludawg is right, as it is easier to cook packer, however by paying REAL close attention seperated will yeild good results, nice even bark, even color,,we did one last weekend and my young helper showed his skill by removing all the fat cap..and I said oh boy...however we cooked a little 9 pound flat, NO fat cap , no nicks in the meat either...NO injection.... and it came out comp perfect! so it can be done, just have to be carefull...we even started out hot at 325*

Bigdog
05-04-2013, 10:12 AM
I must admit that I too thought that his Andy guy was crazy for trimming almost all the fat off his brisket and seperating the flat from the point, but after seeing it and tasting it, I am a believer. Yes, it does go against what many preach, but that's the cool thing about BBQ. There are a ton of ways for getting from point A to point B.

big brother smoke
05-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Keep on cooking, bro. It is hard to argue with Andy's results. BTW, I think you can handle whatever comes your way, after your given response :razz:

Smoothsmoke
05-04-2013, 11:29 AM
So far so good. Let's see the results!

Johnny_Crunch
05-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Looks good!

bwsy2k
05-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Looking Tasty!!!