PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Guru for WSM?????

joe39363
05-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Getting ready to order the 22.5" WSM and was wondering if I should invest in the BBQ Guru. I'm not sure it is needed on a WSM but wanted your input. Thanks for your time and information. Joe

grantw
05-02-2013, 09:52 PM
it runs fine without one, but needs less interaction if its there, the only time i dont use one is if the weather is bad then i just let it do its thing outside

Callahan-que
05-02-2013, 09:55 PM
I don't think it's needed really.

NorthwestBBQ
05-02-2013, 09:55 PM
I have one:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94544&highlight=BBQ+Guru+WSM+ribs

realspaazz
05-02-2013, 10:31 PM
WSM is really steady for a long time without. I would try the first few (or 5-7) cooks naturally aspirated and see if you like it. you can always add a controller later. If you learn how to tweak your pit manually, you will have that knowledge available if your controller ever takes a dump. I have never seen the need for a controller on my backyard WSM, but I do see why some folks like them.

yakdung
05-02-2013, 10:39 PM
I purchased one for my WSM 22 for the long overnight cooks.
http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/DigiQ%20DX2

Melrod59
05-02-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm doing an overnighter tonight (3 pork butts). I never saw the need for one.

mwmac
05-02-2013, 11:05 PM
It's not necessary but it sure is nice to have. As others have said, try a few cooks without it to learn how the WSM works and nail down your fire control technique. You can always add one later.

Porcine Perfection
05-02-2013, 11:10 PM
I would make yourself wait a month and if you still feel you need one then get it. That way if something happens to it then you are prepared.

ErikH
05-03-2013, 04:07 AM
Like the others said, learn how to control temps without one, then decide. I have one, I use it for overnight cooks, but I usually don't bother with it for shorter cooks.

Bob Wiley
05-03-2013, 05:02 AM
I use a guru on the BGE to prevent overshoots that can occur if unattended for several hours at a time.

As a water smoker, the WSM seems to dial in and hold temp steady. I never have had a need for the guru on the WSM

Untraceable
05-03-2013, 05:59 AM
The only time a guru does work on wsms is when the conditions are at their worst. It's cool for competition cooking since you can target specific temps where as naturally you may settle into a range dependent on weather

Freddy j
05-03-2013, 06:41 AM
I would make yourself wait a month and if you still feel you need one then get it. That way if something happens to it then you are prepared.

It's not necessary but it sure is nice to have. As others have said, try a few cooks without it to learn how the WSM works and nail down your fire control technique. You can always add one later.

WSM is really steady for a long time without. I would try the first few (or 5-7) cooks naturally aspirated and see if you like it. you can always add a controller later. If you learn how to tweak your pit manually, you will have that knowledge available if your controller ever takes a dump. I have never seen the need for a controller on my backyard WSM, but I do see why some folks like them.

I'm with these guys. Was going to buy a guru when I bought my wsm last year but took the "wait and see" advice. I might still get one someday (for the wifi control aspect) but it definately is not a must have.

John Bowen
05-03-2013, 07:22 AM
We use a 22.5 when we cook comps. Last year we bought a Party Q for it and it has made life a whole bunch easier - in fact we get a good nights sleep now. In the end you really don't have to have it but it sure makes life easier.

My buddies's wife told him he did not need a Party Q since he could cook just fine without it. He asked her why did she drive to the store to shop - she could walk just fine without the car. :decision:

kds9547
05-03-2013, 07:41 AM
I don't normally use it for ribs but if I cook butts or a brisket overnight I'll plug her in. Peace of mind and a good night's sleep.

joe39363
05-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm just gonna get the WSM and can always add a Guru if I need it later on. I appreciate everyone's input.

NS Mike D
05-03-2013, 08:29 AM
I always use some sort of pit thermometer, whether it be the guru or a maverick. I often don't use the guru or the iQue at home, but will use them in comps. Our best comp was a first place in ribs and we cooked them on a WSM 22 old school. No guru, no thermometer, so go figure.

The WSM will run steady. So long as I know the internal temp, I can adjust cook times.

NickTheGreat
05-03-2013, 08:39 AM
I don't have one, but I'm of the opinion that there are certain things you have to 'suffer through.'

That being said, mine works fine and the only one I'd buy one is just because i'm a gadget guy :wacko:

**edit. I will say that some sort of wireless thermometer is worth it's weight in gold. My Maverick 732 makes for a lot less running around.

Smoking Westy
05-03-2013, 08:44 AM
I think you made a good choice to wait, I did the same when I picked up my WSM and haven't thought about needing one since.

I'm with some of the other folks though, pick up a Maverick ET-732 to monitor your pit and food temps and you'll be good to go.

Stanchez
05-03-2013, 04:55 PM
I got a Party Q a few months ago for my 18.5 WSM. I've used it several times for overnight cooks and it held temp like a champ. I've found it worth the money for the peace of mind and uninterrupted sleep!

BobM
05-03-2013, 05:17 PM
I have a BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi. I works great but I really only use it on long cooks.